***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2023***

33 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It's going to be a weird looking defense, number-wise:

9             0            97

14             4            5

13         8           2          12        6

Be really weird looking if they tackle and pressure the QB.

But I'll try to get use to that.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 1
23 minutes ago, AlaSker said:

No blackshirt for MJ Sherman either- find that interesting.

No Cam. No Sherman. None for Nick. 

Speculate on who becomes the starter for battles of: 

Cam Lenhardt/Gunnerson 

Sherman/Borders 

And a rumored Nick with a high ankle sprain 

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, Decked said:

Cam Lenhardt/Gunnerson 

Sherman/Borders 

Not to take anything away from anyone of those guys but I do really wish that Sherman and Butler each had one before the season starts.  I know they can gain one during the season but I feel that those 2 are so vital to the success of the defense/d-line.  Kinda disappointed that neither of them didn't do enough throughout the summer or fall to earn one.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Not to take anything away from anyone of those guys but I do really wish that Sherman and Butler each had one before the season starts.  I know they can gain one during the season but I feel that those 2 are so vital to the success of the defense/d-line.  Kinda disappointed that neither of them didn't do enough throughout the summer or fall to earn one.

Don’t read too much into that, you’re thinking under how previous staffs did this. Looks like Rhule and co are giving out 11 to the starting defense for Minnesota. Nothing else. I’ll bet those others guys are still going to play a lot of snaps.

Edit:typo.

• TBH 1

8 minutes ago, Husker_luver said:

Don’t read too much into that, you’re thinking under how previous staffs did this. Looks like Rhule and co are giving out 11 to the starting defense for Minnesota. Nothing else. I’ll bet those others guys are still going to play a lot of snaps.

Yes, and as it should be  The starting 11.  not every defensive player that plays.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
47 minutes ago, Husker_luver said:

I understand they will play but to know they won't be starting is disappointing.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I understand they will play but to know they won't be starting is disappointing.

In his PC today, Coach White detailed that Chief Borders has been the more consistent player throughout training camp, and combined with his attitude and effort, that’s how Chief EARNED the starting job and Blackshirt. Having talent and depth, and forcing the coaches to make difficult decisions for the starter is a good thing. Plus, as others have mentioned, the 2-deep at LB will see a lot of rotation and playing time. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

7 hours ago, Decked said:

Cam Lenhardt/Gunnerson 

Sherman/Borders 

Blackshirts for starters.

Nick hurt/injured again? For real?  Ayye, Claro :hmmph

9 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

In his PC today, Coach White detailed that Chief Borders has been the more consistent player throughout training camp, and combined with his attitude and effort, that’s how Chief EARNED the starting job and Blackshirt. Having talent and depth, and forcing the coaches to make difficult decisions for the starter is a good thing. Plus, as others have mentioned, the 2-deep at LB will see a lot of rotation and playing time. 

I understand that he earned it just like all the other guys did too but I still stand by my original statement that it is disappointing to me that Sherman and Butler didn't do enough to earn one yet.  Yes I know they will play but I believe that both of those guys will have to be good in order to generate some type of pass rush for the team.  When I say good I mean blackshirt material and not a situational player.  That's my personal feeling on it if your not disappointed for those 2 or any other guys that didn't get one cool beans.

7 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I understand that he earned it just like all the other guys did too but I still stand by my original statement that it is disappointing to me that Sherman and Butler didn't do enough to earn one yet.  Yes I know they will play but I believe that both of those guys will have to be good in order to generate some type of pass rush for the team.  When I say good I mean blackshirt material and not a situational player.  That's my personal feeling on it if your not disappointed for those 2 or any other guys that didn't get one cool beans.

What is it about Sherman and Butler specifically that you are so disappointed? Also, are you disappointed in them? Where is your disappointment aimed at?

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1