What did we learn

9 hours ago, RedDenver said:

If we have 0 picks and 0 TDs, we still lose. There isn't a savior riding the pine, so we're just going to take our lumps and hopefully get better and then hopefully get some better players for next year. It's going to take time.

Do we? You are assuming we don't score without int prone Sims which is a huge assumption. We would have been in a better position without 3 of our 4 turnovers being committed and I will absolutely die on that hill. How can you say otherwise? Seriously? We are better off throwing 3 picks? That is a ridiculous take man.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Do we? You are assuming we don't score without int prone Sims which is a huge assumption. We would have been in a better position without 3 of our 4 turnovers being committed and I will absolutely die on that hill. How can you say otherwise? Seriously? We are better off throwing 3 picks? That is a ridiculous take man.

Sims' passing game was bad last night, but he did good things with his legs all night. Even just getting us off of our one yard line on our first drive and giving us some breathing room to punt was big.

I really think the thing that's flying under the radar is the two false starts inside their 5 yard line. One of them was basically on the 1 yard line. That one's an easy QB sneak for 6 points without that. Maybe coach should have called a timeout there on that first one, not sure. I'm sure he was saving it in case the run got stuffed.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Overall, the team looks tougher up front and smarter overall.  Sims doesn't look like much of a thrower, and some of the shots he took in the run game could shorten his season at some point.

I thought coaching at the end of the half was pretty bad.  Rushing up to the line to quick snap...you could see a procedure penalty coming a mile away.  At that point, with no timeouts...should have kicked it.  I felt a pick or a sack was a real possibility and lo and behold.

37 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

He was having to step up in the pocket almost immediately because the tackles were getting worked.

According to PFF, Corcoran had a pass block grade of 0.0 (out of 100).  He allowed 3 sacks and 2 hurries.  A stationary garbage can would have been about as effective as he was.

giphy.gif

• Plus1 2

32 minutes ago, Toe said:

Also note that both teams had three sacks and five tackles for loss. If our OL is terrible, then so is Minnesota's. But I don't think that's actually the case. I think overall the OL won't be good this year, but they'll at least be serviceable.

Eh the key difference is most of our pressure/ sacks were coverage driven sacks and they had a few where one guy literally blew past 2 of our lineman…. Pretty sure they got a quick sack on us rushing 3.

rewatched the highlights this morning. And 3 thoughts:

1. perhaps Ervin got banged up because I have zero reason to explain why he got out carried by grant and wasn’t on the field in the 4th. You’re not the clear number 1 back if you don’t rush it the most and not even crack double digit carries

2. the loss of Betts really hurts. It appears we don’t have a single guy in the wideout room that represents a problem with size and speed. 

3.  Wtf Sims is seeing on some of those throws is still a mystery. Both picks completely lacked situational awareness, basic coverage identification and simply are inexcusable from a “team leader”

you couple 2 and 3 and it’s gonna be a long year folks. Temper expectations 

The positives: 
The D played hard, and I was really impressed with a lot of the tackling

Special teams were good, except when big old number 0 let the Minny guy blow up our punter (why is he one of the protectors? I don't understand that one)

I found it oddly comforting to see Rhule on the sidelines; I know there were issues, but it finally feels like we have someone competent running the show

The main negatives:

Our QB1 is a pretty good RB, but dude is a turnover machine

Play calling, ugh

It is very difficult to win a game with four turnovers, especially a pick in the endzone, and we also dropped a pick in the endzone that immediately led to a TD afterwards

My main takeaways:

I didn't expect to win this game, but it sucks to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Very concerned about QB play

Minny is not good, and I am concerned about the sCUm game next week; they have athletes that will give us fits

• Plus1 1

28 minutes ago, Undone said:

Sims' passing game was bad last night, but he did good things with his legs all night. Even just getting us off of our one yard line on our first drive and giving us some breathing room to punt was big.

I really think the thing that's flying under the radar is the two false starts inside their 5 yard line. One of them was basically on the 1 yard line. That one's an easy QB sneak for 6 points without that. Maybe coach should have called a timeout there on that first one, not sure. I'm sure he was saving it in case the run got stuffed.

I get that he is a heck of an athlete and helped us move the ball. The problem is when you throw 3 ints you have to be really really special the rest of the game to make up for it. Despite the penalties we could have scored on the last play of the half if Sims would have just thrown it to 87 instead of forcing into double coverage.

4 hours ago, StuckinCO said:

It’s been mentioned  that we don’t have an abundance of talent at WR (eveidenced by Hill being the intended receiver on the deep ball and  his complete lack of any attempt to come back to the ball), but what is the situation with Malachi Coleman? I know he’s just a freshman, but he’s one who has the physical attributes to actually being a difference maker for us at WR. 

Just still too new and young? 

Pretty much. From what I heard from practice reports, he's a 'needs to stay focused' guy - there were some questions about how dedicated to football he really is. That said, Betts being gone opened the door to him seeing some more reps in camp with the 1s, and he's been flashing some talent. I think we'll see more of him as time goes on, but don't expect too much out of him just yet.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Despite the penalties we could have scored on the last play of the half if Sims would have just thrown it to 87 instead of forcing into double coverage.

Yeah good stuff there. I'm not going to disagree with that.

But on the flip side, the preceding play was a false start on their 1 yard line. If you take away that unforced error that was made by a guy not named Jeff Sims, Sims probably sneaks in for 6 points.

And then it happened again in the second half.

For me the takeaway on Sims is what I already knew: he's not even really capable of winning games with his arm. He's a pretty one-dimensional guy, and it'll be on the coaches heading into Colorado to figure out how to make some adjustments (somehow) to not have games riding on his arm.

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Was Ervin hurt?  I was expecting him to get about 12 carries in the 4th quarter based on everything Rhule has said since spring ball. 

Or is it a classic case of coach says one thing but does another?

bingo. rhule is great on the microphone which is cool in the offseason and when you're winning but it might get old fast if nebraska has a typical rhule 1st season. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

Yeah good stuff there. I'm not going to disagree with that.

But on the flip side, the preceding play was a false start on their 1 yard line. If you take away that unforced error that was made by a guy not named Jeff Sims, Sims probably sneaks in for 6 points.

And then it happened again in the second half.

For me the takeaway on Sims is what I already knew: he's not even really capable of winning games with his arm. He's a pretty one-dimensional guy, and it'll be on the coaches heading into Colorado to figure out how to make some adjustments (somehow) to not have games riding on his arm.

Also fair point. Ultimately we should have scored there and it is very frustrating we didn't. A TD there would have been huge given the classic B1G slug fest that the game was. I'll be interested to see how we perform on offense against Colorado. Everyone is saying this Minny team sucks but that is in no way an easy start to the season for an offense that has never played a game together before. The Buffs aren't Minnesota on defense. This is the type of game you want your new offense to warm up with.