What has changed?

Tvr

24 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I'll be the first to look like the donkey and say I expected improvement in the areas Rhule specifically called out as areas of focus: redzone offense and critical penalties/turnovers. Not only were things not better, but appeared to be even worse. 

After 1 game, i'm not indicting Rhule or the rest of the staff, nor has my faith been shaken long term. But last night was a bad look for those areas. 

the question for Rhule is, what is he planning to do differently in the QB room? The idea that jeff sims will win games for us as a QB is probably fools gold at this point, especially in the B1G. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Having Sims is like having Martinez back.  Dynamic athlete, but he has no business throwing the ball.

Not a fair comparison, Martinez was a much, much better thrower.

What we saw last night was a guy who didn't see the field. Martinez was an average passer, what we saw last night was a passing game that was a detriment to the team. Throws more than 3 yards past the line of scrimmage had a 30% chance of being intercepted.

It was so bad you have to wonder if they need to greatly simplify the offense and route trees ran by the receivers. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3

31 minutes ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

One thing that I wish would have changed but clearly has not is the number of new dipsh!t posters who create accounts during/after games to drop a couple of "hot" takes and get banned. It's exhausting.

Agreed. We're going to be great this year and Sims looks like the 2nd coming of [insert your fav QB's name here]. LOL!

23 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

What we saw last night was a guy who didn't see the field. Martinez was an average passer, what we saw last night was a passing game that was a detriment to the team. Throws more than 3 yards past the line of scrimmage had a 30% chance of being intercepted.

It was so bad you have to wonder if they need to greatly simplify the offense and route trees ran by the receivers. 

It's a precise comparison because they both led the universe in turnovers.   

Martinez might have been a better passer, he clearly had better WRs. It didn't make enough of a difference for the outcome to be any different. 

• TBH 1
On 9/1/2023 at 12:13 AM, ndobney said:

Maybe we should run the option

In those fall camp highlight videos they put out they used it in practice but for every good run they showed us you have to think there were as twice as bad ones they didn't show.  Couldn't block the right assignment, fumbles.  Bc if they were as great as they shown us then you would think it be smart to run plays with the option or fullback to gain a couple yards.  We have no air offense and it truly showed up and no run game either clearly by not feeding the ball to Gabe.

15 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I think HC Matt Rhule said the IGC got hurt so that's why the passing game was off I tend to think that we don't truly have any great receivers on the team rn or Garrett McGuire should be a intern somewhere bc he clearly hasn't developed any of them during the off-season well maybe the exception is Bullocks.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I think HC Matt Rhule said the IGC got hurt so that's why the passing game was off I tend to think that we don't truly have any great receivers on the team rn or Garrett McGuire should be a intern somewhere bc he clearly hasn't developed any of them during the off-season well maybe the exception is Bullocks.  

Dude is in his mid 20s and didn’t play WR. No idea how anyone can expect him to be a major talent developer at the position.

• TBH 1