Rhule or Sanders

HuskerX

After watching the Colorado/TCU game, who would you rather have as Huskers Head Coach?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Matt Rhule or Deion Sanders

• Rhule
    • Sanders

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/2023 at 01:21 AM

34 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Sanders took over maybe the worst P5 team and beat a team that played for a natty in the first game of his first season. 

It was never a question of who the better coach is.

The problem is an outgoing black guy wouldn't go over well in Nebraska.  

Yea, no. Deion was and frankly still is completely unproven at the power 5 level. That team that played for a natty got blown out by the worst margin in the history of college football championship games and also lost a ton of key play players on both sides of the ball. It's one game man. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 2

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Sanders took over maybe the worst P5 team and beat a team that played for a natty in the first game of his first season. 

I hope you used your knee pads. I'm not sure how to judge who a better coach is after exactly one game, but Colorado did have a decent win yesterday. 3-4 playmakers made up for the team's shortcomings. 

As for your race baiting comment, @Slow yer Roll pointed out correctly that the problem is the self-centered approach Prime takes with everything. The me-first attitude worked for one game, and might carry them for a bit. But once they lose, and they will lose, I can't imagine that style working long-term. FWIW, I think most of the fan base liked Mickey Joseph last year and he is pretty outgoing. However, Mickey was focused on the players and the program, never seeking personal credit or the spotlight. That is the difference.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/08/12/deion-sanders-colorado-football-culture-dont-care-if-players-like-each-other

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
5 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I hope you used your knee pads. I'm not sure how to judge who a better coach is after exactly one game, but Colorado did have a decent win yesterday. 3-4 playmakers made up for the team's shortcomings. 

As for your race baiting comment, @Slow yer Roll pointed out correctly that the problem is the self-centered approach Prime takes with everything. The me-first attitude worked for one game, and might carry them for a bit. But once they lose, and they will lose, I can't imagine that style working long-term. FWIW, I think most of the fan base liked Mickey Joseph last year and he is pretty outgoing. However, Mickey was focused on the players and the program, never seeking personal credit or the spotlight. That is the difference.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/08/12/deion-sanders-colorado-football-culture-dont-care-if-players-like-each-other

I don’t care about culture either (as long as everything is legal) — I want WINS. Winning cures everything.

You think it’s all kumbaya in the Huskers locker room, with everyone being buddies? Highly doubtful. And again, who cares? WE WANT WINS.

I appreciate Sanders’ approach of being “self centered” because he is taking wins and losses personally.  If you don’t like each other, fine. But you better be getting things done on the field. He did go one to say that his team is getting along just fine.

Deions already shown he’s not afraid to tell kids who aren’t ready to commit to his philosophy need to pack up.

I don’t get why we still have to say Rhule OR Sanders.  I like them both for very different reasons.  I do think Rhule is a better fit for the Huskers though.

• Fire 1
38 minutes ago, BlackHillsHusker said:

Deion is gone to FSU as soon as it comes open

Rhule might stick around longer as long as fans don't drive him out (and he can keep White here)

Remember when fans wanted Aranada from Baylor? They just lost to Texas State

Heh.  Yep.  And we're beyond pining for and chanting in unison for some former "failed" (not Frost of course) coach, aren't we.  Well they're all too old now anyway.. it was that long ago.  

Rhule's fine.  Good old fashioned build it up gradually atmosphere.  This "prime" guy is good old fashioned flash, and things that flash burn out rather quickly in many cases.  Chugging Red Bull and Monster did work in the TCU game, and I'll bet he'll win several more this year.. plus following a 1 win season makes him a hero if he only did what Frost did here.  But I have the feeling his PR persona and its effect on the team, a great effect, will collapse at some point.  I do like his cleaning house attitude right away, though.  

But I'm grateful we've got Matt Rhule, not that I'm over his freaky one score loss deja vu thing in Buckyland.  Oh well.  I think long term he's a far better bet than Sanders.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, HuskerX said:

I don’t care about culture either (as long as everything is legal) — I want WINS. Winning cures everything.

You think it’s all kumbaya in the Huskers locker room, with everyone being buddies? Highly doubtful. And again, who cares? WE WANT WINS.

Culture matters for sustained success. You are right that winning cures all, but poor culture makes winning less likely over time. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I would rather build a program of consistent success than one with flash in the pan success. I think Rhule is taking the right approach with holding the players to a certain standard and focusing on 'team over me.'

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3
10 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Culture matters for sustained success. You are right that winning cures all, but poor culture makes winning less likely over time. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I would rather build a program of consistent success than one with flash in the pan success. I think Rhule is taking the right approach with holding the players to a certain standard and focusing on 'team over me.'

Much of what the average person thinks “culture” is, is really a by-product of results - and more than anything, it’s primarily an illusion. Intangible and fleeting.

Like when Dr. Tom retired and the “culture” left with him.

34 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

The only thing so far about the Rhule vs Deion debate that resonates deeper than it should for me is the OLine BS. I’ve patiently listened for YEARS about how you can’t rebuild one in less than 143 seasons or whatever the hell the frustrating number is. Yet I watch the CU protection and was jealous.  It may have been a sub par d-line, sure. But damn. If it truly can be done that well in 6 months. I don’t know how to go on watching the cess we put on the field in the front 5 year in and year out. 

• TBH 1
3 hours ago, The Dude said:

The TCU team we watched yesterday didn't look like anything close to the team that played for a natty last year.  They were drastically overrated at #17.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, Hammerhead said:

The TCU team we watched yesterday didn't look like anything close to the team that played for a natty last year.  They were drastically overrated at #17.  

You know how in past years. Husker fans would say to themselves. Man that BYU team that took us to the 4th qtr and beat us is going to be a top 25 team by the end of the year, and then by the end of the year they won 4 games?  Or pick any other team that "unexpectedly" beat Nebraska over the past 20 years.  Yeah, that's CU this year, and TCU is Nebraska.