Rhule or Sanders

HuskerX

After watching the Colorado/TCU game, who would you rather have as Huskers Head Coach?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Matt Rhule or Deion Sanders

• Rhule
    • Sanders

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/2023 at 01:21 AM

We need three years before anyone can answer this with any degree of accuracy. But having dug our heels in on the supposed fact that you can't turn a program around overnight, yesterday's game was an eye-opener, and some folks might have to admit Deion Sanders passed his first test well beyond predictions. Had Nebraska beaten TCU after a 66% roster turnover and the coach's son setting a school record in his first game in P5, I'm not sure how humble we'd all be today. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

I wanted Prime last year.  Said Shedeur would be in the Heisman talks.  I think Rhule was a good hire.  I think that he can get us where we want to be.  I do have some concern with play calling by Satt. Didn’t seem to match what Rhule wants/ wanted.  

I will add Primes comments on day one to his old team.  They were part of a 1-11 program.  Mentioned they’d accepted losing.  Part of that culture.  Maybe that’s our problem.  Continually playing guys who have shown little to no improvement (mainly OL).  I’d rather have another losing season playing the future than a losing season playing the same guys who have been part of “X” of losing seasons.  Prime had it right.  Coaches, scheme, play calling are part of it, BUT so are the players.  

it was one game, but Prime was correct. “We coming”.  This fan base will lose their minds if we lose.  Hard to not do the “what if” at that point.  Experienced P5 coach vs new HC.  Complete roster over haul vs “some veterans”….All the makings of some hand wringing.  If we win, CU vs TCU was a fluke vs NU beat a solid team.  

Game plan needs to be run early, run often, run all game.  This is a game made for “run the damn ball guy”:D

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 4
33 minutes ago, lo country said:

I wanted Prime last year.  Said Shedeur would be in the Heisman talks.  I think Rhule was a good hire.  I think that he can get us where we want to be.  I do have some concern with play calling by Satt. Didn’t seem to match what Rhule wants/ wanted.  

I will add Primes comments on day one to his old team.  They were part of a 1-11 program.  Mentioned they’d accepted losing.  Part of that culture.  Maybe that’s our problem.  Continually playing guys who have shown little to no improvement (mainly OL).  I’d rather have another losing season playing the future than a losing season playing the same guys who have been part of “X” of losing seasons.  Prime had it right.  Coaches, scheme, play calling are part of it, BUT so are the players.  

it was one game, but Prime was correct. “We coming”.  This fan base will lose their minds if we lose.  Hard to not do the “what if” at that point.  Experienced P5 coach vs new HC.  Complete roster over haul vs “some veterans”….All the makings of some hand wringing.  If we win, CU vs TCU was a fluke vs NU beat a solid team.  

Game plan needs to be run early, run often, run all game.  This is a game made for “run the damn ball guy”:D

Agree with this. If Washington plays the whole game, would that have been enough of a difference maker? Or, was it the right call in the end to achieving long term objectives. I'll side with Rhule enforcing a consequence for not living up to team standards despite what the outcome (might) have been. 

As an aside, that was a pretty good secondary performance from Minnesota was it not? Combine that with our receivers challenged with making separation, that didn't help our cause. If Sims were to not throw the second and third interceptions, it's likely a win. He needs to improve upon that performance and incorporating in other options that play to his strengths would help too. 

If we can can bump up our QB play and minimize mental errors complemented with sound defensive play beating the Buffaloes is a real possibility. Then we could build on that. We will indeed need to run often and effectively!

• Plus1 1

My concern is whether Rhule and Satterfield can build around the personnel they have, or do we have to wait until we get the personnel that can play their scheme? 

White perfectly matched his scheme to the players he has, same with Deion and all the good coaches.  It is has been obvious for years our line can't pass protect, that the TE corp is way more talented than the WRs, and that the running back room is one of the deepest groups on the field. Why not develop around that?

• Plus1 2
48 minutes ago, lo country said:

Colorado "we coming"

Nebraska "we running"

I agree. Run early, run often, run all game. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

10 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

My concern is whether Rhule and Satterfield can build around the personnel they have, or do we have to wait until we get the personnel that can play their scheme? 

White perfectly matched his scheme to the players he has, same with Deion and all the good coaches.  It is has been obvious for years our line can't pass protect, that the TE corp is way more talented than the WRs, and that the running back room is one of the deepest groups on the field. Why not develop around that?

Its not that we have to wait to get personnel to fit the scheme its the coaches have to call better plays in order for the team to be successful.  Rhule went out and got the qb he wanted to run his offense but he couldn't have played any worse in key situations which is the frustrating part.  Rhule is making 9 million and some change to be smarter then what the product was presented on the field.  I know everyone feels like Colorado is a winnable game if we run the ball consistently and constantly but there is no evidence to present that will change.  Our lead running back only had 7 attempts all game.  Don't you think we should have called more plays for him?  It seams once you get hired as a Nebraska coach you over think things instead of simplifying things.  Defense did well enough to keep us in the game just can't expect that to hold up all season.

• Plus1 1

This thread...holy jeebus...

On CU, I feel like Denny Green here: If you wanna crown em, then crown their a$$. TCU was more than happy to get into a freakin track meet with them, instead of committing to pounding their undersized front, while on D tackling like they're going against those donut dummies they use in practices. They got what they deserve, and if we commit the same gaffes so will we next week. 

If I'm a Buffs fan (gross hypothetical, I know) I'm not sure I'm completely over the moon. They have to realize that IF Deion has any kind of immediate prolonged success, the clock is already ticking on his eventual departure. FSU or some other big time school will pull up with a dump truck of cash (Oh, they comin). Hell, CU can barely afford his current salary. Either way, not our problem.

On NU: It's a one game sample size. Calm down. There's some glaring holes for sure. Sims critics will probably be thrilled cause there's no way he stays healthy running that much. I'm not thrilled but I want to see more before making grand sweeping judgements. I can't believe so many people had everything riding on one game. 

Denny Green on the Gophers: They were who we THOUGHT they were, we let em off the hook!

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
25 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Its not that we have to wait to get personnel to fit the scheme its the coaches have to call better plays in order for the team to be successful.  Rhule went out and got the qb he wanted to run his offense but he couldn't have played any worse in key situations which is the frustrating part.  Rhule is making 9 million and some change to be smarter then what the product was presented on the field.  I know everyone feels like Colorado is a winnable game if we run the ball consistently and constantly but there is no evidence to present that will change.  Our lead running back only had 7 attempts all game.  Don't you think we should have called more plays for him?  It seams once you get hired as a Nebraska coach you over think things instead of simplifying things.  Defense did well enough to keep us in the game just can't expect that to hold up all season.

Great point.  We continually seems to forget the basics.  If it’s working, make THEM stop us.  If we are up by 3 or 7 with several minutes left, eat the clock.  If we want to be a running team, then run the ball.  If we are limited in WR’s, use TE’s.  QB has issues making reads, limit the route trees.  Use rub route concepts to free a receiver.  Use a RB as the outlet route…..We don’t need to have the most complex play book to win.  Be great at the basics…

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We need three years before anyone can answer this with any degree of accuracy. But having dug our heels in on the supposed fact that you can't turn a program around overnight, yesterday's game was an eye-opener, and some folks might have to admit Deion Sanders passed his first test well beyond predictions. Had Nebraska beaten TCU after a 66% roster turnover and the coach's son setting a school record in his first game in P5, I'm not sure how humble we'd all be today. 

I mean, it seems incredibly likely that CU is an outlier more than the rule.  Let alone the fact that it was all of one game.

Very few guys can bring the talent with them that Deion did.  Props to him for doing it but there aren't many coaches you can hire that bring two legitimate D1 sons with them, let alone the #1 player in the previous recruiting class.

• Plus1 4

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

I mean, it seems incredibly likely that CU is an outlier more than the rule.  Let alone the fact that it was all of one game.

Very few guys can bring the talent with them that Deion did.  Props to him for doing it but there aren't many coaches you can hire that bring two legitimate D1 sons with them, let alone the #1 player in the previous recruiting class.

You’re right but it’s kinda a funny point given we could’ve hired Deion last year. Why wait to attempt to get the talent he’s already pulling in/bringing in with him now? 

I think this thread is starting to show our fan base is splitting into two factions:

Team Now - has deep urgency to win NOW and no patience for slow builds (Urban and Deion seem more aligned with this model). This team seems totally fine with gutting the roster and spending big bucks on NIL to get more talent. This team also seems like it’s less trusting in Trev and other decision-makers in our program. It’s seen two decades of people in power make bad decisions and ask for our fans’ patience to sit through bad seasons that end up not getting better.  

Team Develop - wants to win, but has more patience and a lot of faith in building to get there over years of hidden gem identification and development (seems more aligned with Trev’s vision and Rhule’s reputation). This team seems less concerned with recruiting rankings and maybe even a little angst towards NIL. The “be humble and work hard” crew. 

Good news is winning cures all. We just need to start freaking winning, otherwise this is only going to get worse. Truth is, we are extremely close to the point of losing a considerable chunk of our fan base to apathy. 2-3 more years of bad (or even mediocre) football will drive away fans and kill the sellout streak. We are very close to losing our next gen of fans - who only know Husker football as a losing team that dampens our saturdays.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2

to the point of losing a considerable chunk of our fan base to apathy. 2-3 more years of bad (or even mediocre) football will drive away fans

2-3 more weeks if there isn't some kind of tangible improvement. 

It's going to get real awkward in NE if we don't see something.....anything....come on throw us a bone.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, corncraze said:

You’re right but it’s kinda a funny point given we could’ve hired Deion last year. Why wait to attempt to get the talent he’s already pulling in/bringing in with him now? 

I think this thread is starting to show our fan base is splitting into two factions:

Team Now - has deep urgency to win NOW and no patience for slow builds (Urban and Deion seem more aligned with this model). This team seems totally fine with gutting the roster and spending big bucks on NIL to get more talent. This team also seems like it’s less trusting in Trev and other decision-makers in our program. It’s seen two decades of people in power make bad decisions and ask for our fans’ patience to sit through bad seasons that end up not getting better.  

Team Develop - wants to win, but has more patience and a lot of faith in building to get there over years of hidden gem identification and development (seems more aligned with Trev’s vision and Rhule’s reputation). This team seems less concerned with recruiting rankings and maybe even a little angst towards NIL. The “be humble and work hard” crew. 

Good news is winning cures all. We just need to start freaking winning, otherwise this is only going to get worse. Truth is, we are extremely close to the point of losing a considerable chunk of our fan base to apathy. 2-3 more years of bad (or even mediocre) football will drive away fans and kill the sellout streak. We are very close to losing our next gen of fans - who only know Husker football as a losing team that dampens our saturdays.

You touched on the problem with team "Develop", since losing runs the risk of fan apathy and acceptance. Nebraska football is on its way to a 7th losing season. The pressure to win builds to extremely high levels if the team struggles next year as well... with more difficult schedules looming.

The other issue with team development is that you're competing with 90 other teams trying to do the same thing. It's difficult to do. Every team that doesn't recruit in the top 15 wants to do what Utah/Wisconsin do. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
9 hours ago, M.A. said:

Agree with this. If Washington plays the whole game, would that have been enough of a difference maker? Or, was it the right call in the end to achieving long term objectives. I'll side with Rhule enforcing a consequence for not living up to team standards despite what the outcome (might) have been. 

As an aside, that was a pretty good secondary performance from Minnesota was it not? Combine that with our receivers challenged with making separation, that didn't help our cause. If Sims were to not throw the second and third interceptions, it's likely a win. He needs to improve upon that performance and incorporating in other options that play to his strengths would help too. 

If we can can bump up our QB play and minimize mental errors complemented with sound defensive play beating the Buffaloes is a real possibility. Then we could build on that. We will indeed need to run often and effectively!

Did you guys see a view where our receivers couldn't get open?

On Sims' first pick, I saw the short receiver open for 6 when Jeff decided a lob to the Minny DB was the play.  

I saw a view where a QB could not make progressions and used poor mechanics to deliver the ball to option A...his seemingly only option.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
26 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Did you guys see a view where our receivers couldn't get open?

On Sims' first pick, I saw the short receiver open for 6 when Jeff decided a lob to the Minny DB was the play.  

I saw a view where a QB could make progressions and used poor mechanics to deliver the ball to option A...his seemingly only option.

That's an accurate and fair enough assessment.

I did excuse the one to an extent as the defender was at his feet influencing his mechanics. The other two were simply altogether inexcusable. He had options that he didn't take advantage of. Jeff completed some good throws to open receivers. To me, his releases are pretty quick. It's his awareness and vision of the field that needs improving along with making his progressions.