What did we learn? Colorado edition

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I don't feel like run blocking has been better.  They still have guys in the backfield on just about every run play.  

No they don't. You don't have 3 guys average 5.4 ypa if defenders are in the back field every play.

Obviously there are reads and outside runs where defenders are left unblocked, but beyond that I can see only a hand full of missed assignments on runs. You can still have defenders pushed into the back field as long as you are engaged and sealing them off from the ball carrier and gap.

• TBH 1

5 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

yeah Sim made a bad read on one with Rahmir.  he gave it and the middle of the field was completely open.  I think Johnson got tackled for like a 12 yard loss

Sims is just an awful QB.  The team would be in a much much better position to win if they just out Rahmir in at QB and ran wildcat set with the three running backs.  Bring in HH every few possessions to mix it up some and just don’t turn the ball over.   

Worry about implementing the long term offense next year when a Division 1 quality QB is at QB.  

• Plus1 2

Starting a season with two road games against good (maybe better than good) Power 5 opponents is not an ideal way for a new staff to blastoff.

Defense is playing with some fire and intensity.  A for effort and really what more can we ask for (reasonably)  other than a high level effort?

8 sacks is a solar type bright spot and something to build off of

Averaged 5.4 Yrds per carry

Managed 341 yards offense in spite 4 turnovers. It seems there's a positive lesson here if not for the "in spite" of part what might the total have been.

Winning means so much because it's not easy.  

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1

I learned that CO is overhyped, and will get thrashed again with a good defense. I learned I feel bad for NUs defense when Sims keeps putting them back on the field. The offense can only ask to be bailed out so many times before the D says screw it. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
6 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Starting a season with two road games against good (maybe better than good) Power 5 opponents is not an ideal way for a new staff to blastoff.

Defense is playing with some fire and intensity.  A for effort and really what more can we ask for (reasonably)  other than a high level effort?

8 sacks is a solar type bright spot and something to build off of

Averaged 5.4 Yrds per carry

Managed 341 yards offense in spite 4 turnovers. It seems there's a positive lesson here if not for the "in spite" of part what might the total have been.

Winning means so much because it's not easy.  

how dare you look on the bright side!!!  We are all doom and gloom around here until at least Tuesday afternoon 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, nic said:

I learned that CO is overhyped, and will get thrashed again with a good defense. I learned I feel bad for NUs defense when Sims keeps putting them back on the field. The offense can only ask to be bailed out so many times before the D says screw it. 

I watched some of the USC game.  Colorado is going to have issues.  I think they are good, but not great.  

• TBH 1

I don't think I've ever recalled as much hype for a team on what should be a neutral sports cast as I saw wt Fox and all things Sanders.  Aflac commercials, other commercials, pre-game, post-game and all throughout the game.  It was nauseating to watch a network 'prostitute' themselves like that.  You think it was the 2nd Coming of Jesus.  It sure would have been nice to have forced some humble pie on both Sanders, the team and the network.  I thought we had a great opportunity to do so until Sims started being 'sims'.  Lost opportunity and we wasted a wonderful effort by the Blackshirts.  The open field tackling is 100% improved over last year.  If the O can learn to be disciplined and pound the rock, we may win a few games with our D playing at the level they are capable of.  

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1

21 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I don't think I've ever recalled as much hype for a team on what should be a neutral sports cast as I saw wt Fox and all things Sanders.  Aflac commercials, other commercials, pre-game, post-game and all throughout the game.  It was nauseating to watch a network 'prostitute' themselves like that.  You think it was the 2nd Coming of Jesus.  It sure would have been nice to have forced some humble pie on both Sanders, the team and the network.  I thought we had a great opportunity to do so until Sims started being 'sims'.  Lost opportunity and we wasted a wonderful effort by the Blackshirts.  The open field tackling is 100% improved over last year.  If the O can learn to be disciplined and pound the rock, we may win a few games with our D playing at the level they are capable of.  

Oh it was totally a tongue bath, but I figure there's nothing that we can control about that. I was hoping the same, to come out and make them eat it a bit. What is most frustrating is that on defense, until they were gassed by the offense failing so badly, they absolutely were hitting them in the mouth.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
40 minutes ago, presidentjlh said:

Oh it was totally a tongue bath, but I figure there's nothing that we can control about that. I was hoping the same, to come out and make them eat it a bit. What is most frustrating is that on defense, until they were gassed by the offense failing so badly, they absolutely were hitting them in the mouth.

Yes, the D's open field tackling is 100% better than it was last year.  8 sacks as well.   2 very win-able games fumbled away by the O.  Got to see some 'adjustments' this week. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

It’s funny that the last decade majority of the fan base has felt the sky isn’t falling and we will figure it out. Hindsight is 20/20 and now we know the talent and operational process hasn’t been close. I’m not rooting against Rhule but I’m not giving his “builder” label justification based on a few winning seasons. The most alarming to me is he seems to say what the fan base wants to hear and at this point of constant failure he isn’t getting the patience that frost got so he better show some life fast. Attaching this season to Sims and our other incapable QBs is baffling considering he literally said he wished he went after an elite QB sooner in Carolina. I do like the explosive athletes he has recruited and it’s nice to see D lineman who actually do something. The future still might be decent but can he find a real QB and can he actually coach well enough to justify that salary I’m not betting on it

• Plus1 1

Maybe dumb to highlight one of the only nine receptions Sims makes all game. But what I like about this play is the formation:

Now the play works because we actually pass blocked, have to say that above everything. We're in one tight end where he's standing up and almost lining up as more of a slot receiver. Bullock is staggered and also kind of in the slot, kind of.

Bullock & Johnson come underneath to draw two guys out of the very center of the field and we hit Boerkircher. It's not "spread," but it did open things up a bit.

Would like to see more stuff like this in situations other than 3rd & 6.

• Plus1 1