Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

6 hours ago, floridacorn said:

Starting Point:  I need to see the QB's throwing the ball like they aren't scared to throw it.  Velocity, tight spirals, follow through. You are playing big time CF, you have to be past the point of aiming and short arming passes on intermediate routes.  If nothing else, this makes the coaches look incompetent.  

Totally agree. We almost look like we didn't have fall camp half the time.

Third: I'm looking at Greg Roman's offense, identifying where there is overlap, building off that, and trying to mimic it to the extent possible for the remainder of the season.

I've watched the Ravens a lot during his span there (although not specifically a fan of the team). He probably used more three receiver sets?

Lastly:  I'm probably putting up some hard guard rails on how many pass plays Sat can call per game and which down and distances I'm willing to let him call a drop back pass.  Like 3rd & 4+

I agree with this also. What sucks is that the less you throw, the more you back yourself into a corner because you get no real X's & O's advantage to surprise defenses. But nevertheless, you can't have your QB throwing a minimum of two INT's per game when you're already not that great at putting the ball into the end zone.

The thing is that the running game on Saturday wasn't bad. It just wasn't enough to win that game. It was against Minnesota, but for what feels like roughly the 20th time in the last 5 seasons we blew the game because of stupid mistakes.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

:dunno

If Chubba is the QB2, great.  He's supposed to be the better passer.  Let him manage the game and get the ball to the playmakers.  

All three QB’s look like trash at the moment, Sims this year and Purdy last year and HH apparently not good enough in practice to give himself a shot.  

Skip the offense Sat WANTS to run and go with a wildcat type offense with strictly play action pass options and at most 2 reads for Sims.  Have all three running backs in the backfield at times instead of Sims.  Do enough to not blow the game and eke out wins this year and fix everything next year by throwing bags of cash at the most competent QB on the market.   Whatever it takes.  

It’s pretty bad when, the fan base is basically hoping for the offense to not the turn the ball over when the snap occurs and breathes a sigh of relief on an incomplete pass or run for 3 yards.   

• Plus1 2

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

:dunno

If Chubba is the QB2, great.  He's supposed to be the better passer.  Let him manage the game and get the ball to the playmakers.  

I guess not throwing picks is better, but his body of work so far doesn't make me feel much better :lol:

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s pretty bad when, the fan base is basically hoping for the offense to not the turn the ball over when the snap occurs and breathes a sigh of relief on an incomplete pass or run for 3 yards.   

It's what happens when you turn the ball over 36% of the time.

I'm so disgusted with that stat that I am for starting anyone but Sims.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's what happens when you turn the ball over 36% of the time.

I'm so disgusted with that stat that I am for starting anyone but Sims.

I agree.   I’m a pass early and often to open up the run offensive guy and always have been, but this is the first year I’ve hoped the OC would just run wildcat, sprinkle in a few PA passes and consider 2-3 first downs and a punt as a success.   Play field possession football, kick a few field goals, hope to break a long run for TD, and turnovers by your D.   That’s the recipe this year unfortunately.  

What a colossal mistake on the QB evaluation this past offseason.   So bad that someone needs fired (obviously not Rhule) for accountability sakes.  Rhule deserves quite a bit of criticism on his handling of turnover accountability.   A RB fumbles and he’s immediately in the doghouse (which is fine) but he allows the QB to be a turnover machine and only come out because of an ankle injury

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

Fair enough.  I was trying to reference the pistol, inverted veer, and heavy sets in a relatable manner.  

Yeah, it was an intelligent tie-in comment by you for sure.

Part of what's hard is that it's only been two games and I can't be the only person asking how good our two opponents really were. It seems like Minnesota still has a very good defense this year, at least.

So anyway, small sample size of two games but it doesn't seem like we're really tricking anybody with our tight end usage. Contrast that to some of the things that Frost did where I felt like he could spring the TE's wide open pretty well.

What I've seen so far makes me think that either we just aren't executing very well out of the heavy sets or we need to back off of them quite a bit. Maybe you have your TE or fullback in the pistol but then you've got 3 receivers split out. We're just not getting out into space when these big guys go out for passes out of the heavy sets from what I've seen, but maybe I'm way off.

Back to the Ravens though: The stuff they did with Mark Andrews was so good over the period that Greg Roman was there.

• Fire 1

i just don't get this fascination or insistence on the idea that sims is the "best" we have. he's the most athletic and maybe with the best arm talent, sure. but there's just no way he's the best we have when he has 7 turnovers in two games with snap infractions, procedural penalties, and poor decision making.