Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Both Smothers and Thompson have worse QBRs than Haarberg (39.4).  

1.And they'd be better backups than Sims and probably Purdy. 2. Even if they were 4th string options, our bowl chances with them would be better than rolling out injured Haarberg, injurred Smothers, healthy Sims, or whatever walk-on or converted other position option we now have, would they not? 

And let's not forget walk-on Jarret Synek at bare minimum proved he could take three snaps against Michigan and not throw an interception or fumble as a redshirt freshman. Even that's a step up over Sims. 

https://www.hastingstribune.com/sports/syneks-bet-on-himself-pays-dividends-during-redshirt-freshman-season-at-nebraska/article_386a75b8-7d8b-11ed-b23f-6ba394462eca.html

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, lo country said:

Satt isn't a qb coach.  Frost didn't leave anything remotely performing like a QB.  And there is no way in hell Rhule privately thinks that pass play was the right call.  A true fresh receiver, one probably not 100% and 5'9 and the other a former walk on with a lot of drops....Why was Fidone not in that route.  He's the tallest, the biggest, could post out a DB and wouldn't have been jammed/stuffed on the line like Coleman nor allowed a smaller DB make him run his flat like Kemp.  Stupid all the way around.  And Rattlers 2023 numbers through 10 games are improved from year 2 under SATT at USC.  New coach, scheme etc....And why can't our DB's jam receivers on the LOS like Maryland did Coleman?

Again, I'm not in the backrooms and practice fields so I can only guess how close Rhule is to Satterfield's decision making.  But given they both bear responsibility for hanging their first season on Jeff Sims, I have to think they're as frustrated as we are. We are no longer joking about run only offenses and maybe a wildcat, but the pass plays they are asking our quarterbacks to perform are not complex or risky: they are plays every player who want to be a quarterback needs to execute on a semi-reliable basis, and absolutely necessary if we want our running backs to ever see an open space. We can live with the incompletions: Osborne QBs were mostly 50% guys, but the interceptions and fumbles are incredibly bush league. We have three quarterbacks who can't handle the job basics, and while I can always think of a play that MIGHT have worked better, I can't think of an offensive design that will protect their weaknesses and score points at the same time. 

This is hardly an endorsement of Frost, who simply gets worse over time, but don't you think this team could be winning these games with Ryker Fyfe or Noah Vedral operating the exact same system? 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
13 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

1. He's a freshman, 2. He's still probably better than anyone on our roster. Our QBs aren't even FCS level. 

3. I'm not saying he was a huge loss. All I'm saying is that the QB cupboard being bare isn't on Frost. The mistake was bringing in Sims that's on Satterfield, who hand picked him and Rhule for trusting in that pick. Outside that it's a symptom of a coaching change. But to put the thinness of the position at Frost's feet is not accurate. 

having guys in the room is not the same as saying the cupboard is stocked.  The cupboard even if those guys were still here is "bare" of talent.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Casey Thompson is 10 times the QB that Sims is and Frost left him here. That he left after Rhule was hired is not on Frost.

Yes, Casey Thompson was a QB that Rhule inherited. He wasn’t able to go thru Spring practice due to shoulder surgery. He watched on the sidelines as Sims ran with the first-team in Spring practice. Thompson didn’t want to compete with Sims, so he left. Yeah, I guess you could say Rhule shouldn’t have brought in Sims when they had Thompson, but Thompson may not have fit what Rhule was looking to do. Outside chucking it deep to Palmer, Thompson was far from a great QB, and he was also injury prone. Thompson ended up at a G5 school and only played a few games before tearing his ACL. But, go ahead and say that Rhule “ran him off” so that fits your opinion. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 3
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, Casey Thompson was a QB that Rhule inherited. He wasn’t able to go thru Spring practice due to shoulder surgery. He watched on the sidelines as Sims ran with the first-team in Spring practice. Thompson didn’t want to compete with Sims, so he left. Yeah, I guess you could say Rhule shouldn’t have brought in Sims when they had Thompson, but Thompson may not have fit what Rhule was looking to do. Outside chucking it deep to Palmer, Thompson was far from a great QB, and he was also injury prone. Thompson ended up at a G5 school and only played a few games before tearing his ACL. But, go ahead and say that Rhule “ran him off” so that fits your opinion. 

Ok so you admit the QB room wasn't left "without anything remotely close to a qb" by Frost. Glad we agree. Have a good one man.

• Oh Yeah! 2
17 hours ago, lo country said:

Satt isn't a qb coach.  Frost didn't leave anything remotely performing like a QB.  And there is no way in hell Rhule privately thinks that pass play was the right call.  A true fresh receiver, one probably not 100% and 5'9 and the other a former walk on with a lot of drops....Why was Fidone not in that route.  He's the tallest, the biggest, could post out a DB and wouldn't have been jammed/stuffed on the line like Coleman nor allowed a smaller DB make him run his flat like Kemp.  Stupid all the way around.  And Rattlers 2023 numbers through 10 games are improved from year 2 under SATT at USC.  New coach, scheme etc....And why can't our DB's jam receivers on the LOS like Maryland did Coleman?

I don't think the Maryland db tried to jam Coleman as much as Coleman ran straight into him as if he was going to block then realized he was supposed to run a route.

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Ok so you admit the QB room wasn't left "without anything remotely close to a qb" by Frost. Glad we agree. Have a good one man.

Rhule and Satterfield had to agree (rather quickly) whether Casey Thompson or Jeff Sims worked better as a stop-gap measure for the team they were inheriting. They probably chose wrong (I liked Thompson) but the injury prone leader of a 4-8 team who would be playing without Trey Palmer may not have been a no-brainer, and it's almost hard to imagine a quarterback playing worse than Jeff Sims.

But that's not remotely close to saying Frost left Nebraska with legitimate QB talent. He left them with QBs who had no place else to go. 

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This is hardly an endorsement of Frost, who simply gets worse over time, but don't you think this team could be winning these games with Ryker Fyfe or Noah Vedral operating the exact same system?

It's interesting to talk about.

Vedral wound up with a 55% career completion percentage with 18 passing TD's & 17 INT's. I would say that makes him a shade better than Haarberg, yeah. But he's basically the same player; doesn't have any real passing pedigree and is more in the "run-first" category to me.

Fyfe didn't really play all that much all in all. But he wound up with a 52.7% career completion percentage with 10 touchdowns & 6 INT's. 

7 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, Casey Thompson was a QB that Rhule inherited. 

And my understanding is that Casey Thompson was the guy Mark Whipple wanted from the portal when he was hired to make the offensive decisions for Frost.

If you liked or disliked Casey Thompson, I'm not sure you can credit Scott Frost either way. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Again, I'm not in the backrooms and practice fields so I can only guess how close Rhule is to Satterfield's decision making.  But given they both bear responsibility for hanging their first season on Jeff Sims, I have to think they're as frustrated as we are. We are no longer joking about run only offenses and maybe a wildcat, but the pass plays they are asking our quarterbacks to perform are not complex or risky: they are plays every player who want to be a quarterback needs to execute on a semi-reliable basis, and absolutely necessary if we want our running backs to ever see an open space. We can live with the incompletions: Osborne QBs were mostly 50% guys, but the interceptions and fumbles are incredibly bush league. We have three quarterbacks who can't handle the job basics, and while I can always think of a play that MIGHT have worked better, I can't think of an offensive design that will protect their weaknesses and score points at the same time. 

I said something similar in another post.  While I still disagree with the call knowing poor routes and decision making further impacted the play, the fact that we do not have a QB on the roster that can routinely make rudimentary throws.  There is no reason to not be able to make a simple out route throw or at a minimum get the ball in front of a receiver on a fly route.  Not into the arms of the loan high safety looking like a center fielder or a punt return man....We truly have no passing threat.  None. I do think Noah or Logan would be better in this O.  AM would probably have thrived as well. While also a TO machine, he could complete routine passes.  This might be revisionist history, but I seeem to remember NU in 95 either neither fumbled or lost a fumble.  I also seem to remember in Jason Peter's book he talked about getting after his own team mates in the locker room at half time for screwing up. I think with even "average" QB play we are sitting at 7-8 wins easily.  Gotta shake the portal tree.  I don't see next years QB on the roster.

8 hours ago, desertshox said:

I don't think the Maryland db tried to jam Coleman as much as Coleman ran straight into him as if he was going to block then realized he was supposed to run a route.

Great point.  He did get stonewalled which would lend credibility to Rhule previously saying how well he was blocking.