malachi coleman

BoSolich

4 minutes ago, Madcows said:

Depends on the player, and the type of player he recruits. He seems to want the 'green' speed guys that he can mold, not the near finished products that just want exposure

Oh no, here we go again.

The under recruited guys want to work hard, give it their all, and bleed for the team.

The high ranked guys just want exposure.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

22 minutes ago, Madcows said:

I don't think Rhule works that way. He's not building a team on 3 and done players, he wants guys here to mold and teach for 4-5 years.

I don’t think Rhule will take that approach at all. Yes, he wants to develop players, but he’s doing that by identifying guys early, playing as freshmen, and developing.  If someone isn’t on a clear track of contributing after a couple of years in the program, Rhule will recommend he moves along, so he can use that scholarship on another young guy or transfer. I don’t think Rhule will get all worked up about “burning a redshirt”. 

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Oh no, here we go again.

The under recruited guys want to work hard, give it their all, and bleed for the team.

The high ranked guys just want exposure.  

Nothing to do with high ranked vs under recruited. Malachi is a 'green' talent with speed. He was far from under-recruited and doesn't appear to be the type to be a 3 and done player, even with all his athletic abilities. That's the guy I feel Rhule will gravitate towards and recruit and not the boo radley(-hiles) who by all reports didn't need to develop much more (most pundits were wrong about that) that gave me the impression of just wanting to go to college because he couldn't go straight to the NFL. That's the difference I see in who he will try to recruit. Thinking of MBB, he won't be a John Calipari but rather he would be more the Greg McDermott type. Both will get you top 25 teams after a few years, one will have a lot less turnover.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t think Rhule will take that approach at all. Yes, he wants to develop players, but he’s doing that by identifying guys early, playing as freshmen, and developing.  If someone isn’t on a clear track of contributing after a couple of years in the program, Rhule will recommend he moves along, so he can use that scholarship on another young guy or transfer. I don’t think Rhule will get all worked up about “burning a redshirt”. 

If you don't play as a freshmen, you sure as hell better be playing as a sophomore.   If not, like you said, hit the road jack.

Rhule knows it.  I think some fans here "development" and think one thing but what it really means is...you better be on the two deep by the end of your sophomore year or we will find someone who is.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, Madcows said:

I don't think Rhule works that way. He's not a bandaid fix type guy. He's going to go to the root cause and fix it. IMO, Rhule will take advantage of RS and develop players, one of the selling points of Rhule we all heard about when he was hired was how he took 2&3* kids at Temple and Baylor and made them NFL guys. He's not building a team on 3 and done players, he wants guys here to mold and teach for 4-5 years.

The problem with this is if they don't win Nebraska will become a feeder program.  Kinda line Hausmann with Mich.  Under recruited kid shows what he can do just to get poached by a team that is already winning 

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Madcows said:

So that's the 4 games he's played. Shut him down and preserve the RS.

Shut him down for what?  So he can use the Husker training table to put on weight, get a college football body, see the field a little next year, then transfer?  

Do you not remember how much time we spent trying to get him to come here, or not?  MoFo was priority #1 for the Huskers outside of Raiola, and the staff needs to get him involved every game for chances to make plays and help the passing game.  He has talent, size and speed, and would have several catches by now with Ohio State, OU, USC, Georgia or Colorado.  Why do people think he's going to be a 4th year redshirt with Nebraska?  I don't get that thinking, like it's the 80's or 1990's or whatever.  It's really up to the coaches to get him out there, and if he doesn't think he's ready, then he is only playing Nebraska before he moves along soon (goals). 

• TBH 2
5 hours ago, teachercd said:

If you don't play as a freshmen, you sure as hell better be playing as a sophomore.   If not, like you said, hit the road jack.

Rhule knows it.  I think some fans here "development" and think one thing but what it really means is...you better be on the two deep by the end of your sophomore year or we will find someone who is.

Yep, it' derp feelings from old school, loyal Husker fanatics.  They think a priority commit would love to participate in 4 games and redshirt, because they are too green to make a difference for a football team with no passing attack.  Which makes zero sense to me, but makes sense to them. 

And then spend the next 2 years getting stronger and working their way up to be 2nd team behind Brody Belt and Bullock.  Go to class, pay your dues, work hard, and someday you could be great, like the walkons do.

Coleman was the biggest priority next to Raiola who said "no thank you".  And if Coleman turned down Nebraska for Iowa, at the very least he would have been in the rotation by now with the Hawkeyes and likely becoming a starter.  However, at Nebraska, a special talent like him is just not ready yet or good enough yet..... and needs to redshirt and save that opportunity for much, much later when good enough.  :)  He'll transfer when that time comes.  

• Thanks 2

I don’t know all the behind the scenes stuff, but rumors are what they are. I guess at this point I really don’t care if a kid is dotting all his I’s and crossing his t’s, just get the raw talent out there and get him reps. I really doubt the assertion that he hasn’t been open in the games he’s played. Just throw it up to him and let him Randy Moss somebody like Michigan did to Gifford (how embarrassing was that) 

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Serious question that I "should" know the answer to , but don't.   When Rhule was rebuilding Temple, he didn't have to worry about the portal, so kids were willing to "stick" around and develop.  When he was at Baylor, did the portal exist, or is this the first time he is "building" a program while trying to convince kids to not dive into "greener" pastures.  Maybe he built Baylor under the same conditions, I don't know.

6 minutes ago, HANC said:

Serious question that I "should" know the answer to , but don't.   When Rhule was rebuilding Temple, he didn't have to worry about the portal, so kids were willing to "stick" around and develop.  When he was at Baylor, did the portal exist, or is this the first time he is "building" a program while trying to convince kids to not dive into "greener" pastures.  Maybe he built Baylor under the same conditions, I don't know.

If memory serves, the logistics of the transfer portal were set up some time around 2018. Rhule took over as the Panther's HC in 2020. So from a timing perspective he got some taste or experience with it.

Omarion Miller would like a word about freshmen WR starters. (that was in the running to come to NE but went to CU)  BUT, to be very clear it took him until the Buffs 5th game and a top 5 QB throwing him the ball for him to finally "breakout"

So, there is some truth to the fact that it takes a hot second for an offensive player as a freshmen to gain some footing.

We should be comforted in the fact that we have had so many freshmen playing on defense, that playing freshmen for this coaching staff will not be an issue.  But we do need them to at least know the playbook first.

• Plus1 2