What did we learn? NIU Edition

-Haarberg should start going forward at QB. He looks in control when he is on the field. Good reads overall, good throws and he can run it down your throat. Start him.

-Offensive line sometimes makes dumb mistakes but hopefully they can work that out. 

-Also the defense can be very good. Not an easy team to run on at all. 

HH, Ervin and Grant all ran with an attitude. 

The defense is still nails until proven otherwise. I have no clue where our offense will be, but I am excited to see the defense play against Michigan at memorial stadium.

HH to Fidone seems like something we’re going to see a lot of for a while. 

Matt Rhule needs to get help for the licking. 

• TBH 2

3 minutes ago, Micheal said:

-Haarberg should start going forward at QB. He looks in control when he is on the field. Good reads overall, good throws and he can run it down your throat. Start him.

-Offensive line sometimes makes dumb mistakes but hopefully they can work that out. 

-Also the defense can be very good. Not an easy team to run on at all. 

Special teams is improving too. Get a qb that doesn’t bring the team down there is something to build from. Still disappointed in the line against some of the best ten defenses we are going to have issues

• Plus1 1

I think our defense is probably good. I don't really blame them for what happened with Colorado and I don't think the score of that game is indicative of how good the defense is. This team doesn't have a reason to feel confident yet, so having the QB turn the ball over 55 times in a single quarter is something that's going to affect them.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

Obviously we're a better rushing team than passing at the moment, and Rhule & Satterfield at least for one game were willing to stick with it for the most part. We'll see if that holds up in the future.

Haarberg with just one turnover that really wasn't his fault (blindsided by an unblocked defender).

It's not an explosive offense, but with this defense it might not need to be.

• Plus1 1

Given that wins don't come easy for this program, I give zero F's about this type of win happening against NIU. Beating them, and beating them soundly, is a huge victory that goes beyond just notching a win in the win column. Really happy for the team.

Other thoughts:
- I think Haarberg gave the team a good problem. Sims deserves a fair opportunity this week, but Haarberg did just about everything that offense needs to be successful and support that defense.
- I was impressed with the o-line later in the second half but I wish they'd have a more consistent ground game early when they actually need it and the game is within 1-2 scores.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
  • Enhance changed the title to What did we learn? NIU Edition

If there's a "most improved player" award, it maybe goes to Nash Hutmacher. The guy's motor is real and he just shows up on every down to do some damage.

Tony White makes Erik Chinander look like hammered dog s***. The disguised coverages and secondary play is really doing some good things. And our tackling is pretty great.

I try really hard to not dog on play calling because I think it's often times pretty lazy by fans. But there were long stretches of this game where Satterfield just looked so dumb. I get it, you're trying to make them think you'll always run on first down so then you call a drop-back passing play. But it cost us pretty bad several times. On the second drive he completely went away from the zone read running plays. Why?

Our running backs showed some individual effort in the second half to keep fighting and cut outside to keep looking for space. We've needed more of that kind of stuff ever since Dedrick Mills graduated.

I hope nothing causes Haarberg to transfer out. He has some real potential.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 2

Let's get our transitive property on! Tonight we beat Northern Illinois. Northern Illinois beat Boston College two weeks ago. Tonight, #3 Florida State squeaked by Boston College 31-29. Guys, I think we've got a shot against Florida State! :koolaid2:

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 4
2 minutes ago, Toe said:

Let's get our transitive property on! Tonight we beat Northern Illinois. Northern Illinois beat Boston College two weeks ago. Tonight, #3 Florida State squeaked by Boston College 31-29. Guys, I think we've got a shot against Florida State! :koolaid2:

I was thinking about this earlier today!