Does NU have a chance in the B1G West?

Red Five

Here is a good graphical representation of the strength of the B1G teams (and all teams).  It is based on the 6 computer rankings that calculate an expected point margin vs. an "average" team.

This early in the season the computers are still using some "preseason data priors" in their methodology that will get phased out over the next couple weeks as teams play more games and get better connected.  So I assume you will see Colorado jump quite a bit and Alabama drop a few spots.

As we all know, the B1G is super top heavy after the Big 3 of the East.  And adding the 4 Pac schools will only make it harder for the Little 11 to get to the top of the conference.

F50ru6HX0AAbsrc?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Plus1 2

Finish 2nd, but yeah winning would not be impossible.  Not with this Division.  

Michigan State - that's a win

Northwestern - that's a win at home

Purdue - they are not looking good - that's a win at home

Illinois is Friday night after we play Michigan - I am iffy on this game, but Ill doesn't have offense.  Crossing fingers here

Maryland at home - kind of nervous about this one to be honest.  They can be dynamic on offense or crappy.  But it's home.  Crossing fingers here.

Wisconsin - road game, advantage them.  But the games been close between us.

Iowa - at home.  We beat them last year.  Should've won with Smothers too.  I like our chances.  

I see 3 wins for sure.  Maybe 4 wins.  5 would be great. 

With 9 games, I just don't see anyone in this division winning it with a record better than 6-3  

Reminder of the last 5 Big Ten West Division Winners: 

Purdue

Iowa

Northwestern

Wisconsin

Northwestern

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Red Five said:

F63k8s2WcAAg-S8?format=jpg&name=large

This is what happens when teams don't recruit talent.

The strategy of all the West teams is to "develop" a bunch of 3* receivers and QBs, which then go get dominated by teams that recruit actual talent. Being a "development" program is really difficult. 

That being said, Nebraska hasa mathematical chance to win the West, but the focus really just needs to get to 6 wins. Imagine how great it would feel in the offseason coming off a bowl game and new players coming from the transfer portal.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, deedsker said:

We can compete with or be crushed by anyone left on our schedule. That is how bad/sporadic the division is. Even the wildcats beat the gophers by playing one good quarter of football. Oof.

I just had to go check on that final score after reading your post. I turned that game off assuming it over way early. How did Minnesota lose that game? 

1 minute ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I just had to go check on that final score after reading your post. I turned that game off assuming it over way early. How did Minnesota lose that game? 

Gophers packed it in early and Northwestern hit every pass they needed. They scored a touchdown pass with 2 seconds to spare to get it to OT.

8 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This is what happens when teams don't recruit talent.

The strategy of all the West teams is to "develop" a bunch of 3* receivers and QBs, which then go get dominated by teams that recruit actual talent. Being a "development" program is really difficult. 

That being said, Nebraska hasa mathematical chance to win the West, but the focus really just needs to get to 6 wins. Imagine how great it would feel in the offseason coming off a bowl game and new players coming from the transfer portal.

This is SOOO SPOT ON!

This horrible blueprint of recruiting and developing is such a waste of time when you are recruiting fringe P5 guys to begin with.

Recruiting NEEDS to be the #1 priority, period.  A close second is recruiting the transfer portal.  

• Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

I hate to say it and sound like I'm drinking the Kool aide BUT. The way this defense is playing the only B1G team that really scares me is Michigan. 

Iowa Offense is terrible. We can stop Wisconsin run game and force them to pass.  I can see a 1st,2nd or 3rd finish for the west for our Huskers.

Our defense (and more specifically, our rush defense) has passed every test they have been given so far this year.  Yes, Colorado scored quite a few points, but our offense was pathetic with turnovers putting them in bad situations.

This game is the test to see really how good they are.  Hopefully, this isn't a game where HH and the offense becomes a turnover machine again and they can at least sustain a some drives.

I'm excited to see what our defense can do in this game.  I'm not going to be shocked or upset if Michigan puts up a bunch of points because that's what everyone expects.  But....maybe they are as good as their stats show.  If so....that will be fun to watch and be a good indication as to how the rest of the year could go.

• TBH 1