What did we learn Michigan Game

2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

That should always be a red flag to me. You shouldn't see a guy and say "I can fix him." They should be looking at how they can develop his current talent. I would agree with the Shanahan quote posted the other day. The motion is what it is, and that's also why you have guys like Rodgers, Mahomies, Wilson, and Murray in the NFL now. People didn't try to fix them, they said "hey, why does this work and what can we do with it?"

I can't think of one QB who's throwing motion was changed and they lit it up, but there are plenty who got screwed up. Could be like plastic surgery though... you only noticed the botched jobs.

This x1,000,000. This has been said since maybe the last few years of Pelini. It's insane that none of the coaches we have been through emphasized the OL. Frost brought in some good recruits on paper, but the development under 2 position coaches was non-existent to say the least. This year run blocking has improved, but pass protection is as bad as ever. Which means we're f#&%ed when we get down 2 scores.

I like what Coach Leach said, basically he said that most HS QB's are "finished" products so you are better off looking at HS QB's that are really accurate.  Seems to make a lot of sense.  

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

7 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Cal Ripken Jr changed his batting stance like 30 times.  Tiger woods changed his swing.  Unless HH has a medical issue that doesn't allow him to move his arm differently then it can be changed. 

They could try to change it, but that's not really the point of the discussion.

We're talking about the risks and difficulties associated with trying to changes a quarterback's mechanics at this level so that it leads to objective improvement. The 'change' is but the vessel for reaching an apparent goal. There is no one saying it can't be done. It's just difficult, and there's plenty of empirical evidence (and experts) to support this perspective. And since none of us have likely been intimately involved with HH's training and development over the last 2-3 years, it's ignorant for any of us to analyze his current status and classify it as "weird." That's a bold proclamation to make, even for being online message board basement dwellers that we are.

(Also, it's not a particularly strong counter-argument to throw out arguably the world's greatest golfer and a hall of fame baseball player. By their very nature, those two guys are exceptions to the general assembly of their respective sports. They're the 1% of the 1%.)

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Stat I bet you wouldn't have guessed:

Nebraska is currently #16 in the country in yards per rush (5.47).  Michigan is #33 (4.95).

Wow.  I wonder how they’d do going head to head.  …. Oh, wait.  :D

13 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:
19 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Wtf are you talking about. It's not about what is needed. It's about what is possible. None of those other positions are QB and comparing general improvement to fixing a QBs mechanics is just false equivalency. If fixing a QB could just be done then NFL and College would be full of good ones. Your examples out of all the QBs that have failed out of the NFL are one that is a collosal bust and got traded for peanuts after spending 3 1sts on him and a QB who had already threw for 700 yards in a game in college and did not need huge changes. 

Well here we can talk about most of the relevant QB’s in the league.  They are literally teaching different arm slots necessary in order to throw based on the contortion of the lower body.  The Quarterbacks are learning this in college/post college.   Are they learning how to go from HH’s terrible standard throwing mechanics to the article’s teaching…NO.  You know why?   Cause no one outside of Kosar with HH’s motion will make it that far to begin with.   But these are pretty significant changes being made so these players can make different throws in game while under duress.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/11/16/cover-story-how-the-qb-evolution-sparked-a-coaching-revolution

• Plus1 1
Just now, Mavric said:

We averaged 5.0 yards per attempt.  They were 4.9.

Yeah, but this is a case where YPC just doesn't tell the whole story. Having few attempts and getting to play against their 3rd string defense helps, you take out Fleeks run and we're at 20 for 32 (1.6 YPC). You can take out their 3 longest runs and they were still at 48 for 194 (4.0).

• TBH 3

13 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

I stopped paying any attention to this game after the first quarter but did they just give up on the qb run? Did we even attempt to run the option? What were they trying to do offensively? Honest questions as I lost interest…

We ran a few. The option is great when the other team isn't prepared and/or you like your QBs/RBs against their back-seven in space, but we had neither of those going for us. It didn't go anywher, and probably wasn't a huge part of the gameplan because Michigan is equipped to shut it down.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

I stopped paying any attention to this game after the first quarter but did they just give up on the qb run? Did we even attempt to run the option? What were they trying to do offensively? Honest questions as I lost interest…

I may be wrong, but I only remember one option run the entire game (can’t remember when) and that was a 2 yard gain on a Haarberg keeper. When it’s 21-0 early in the 2nd quarter, and obvious that the team is overmatched, I think the strategy became “let’s continue to have Haarberg work on his passing game, and limit his running, because we have another game in 6 days”. Yes, HH can get injured taking a sack, but he was obviously sore at the end of the game against La Tech, due to running it so many times in games 3 and 4.  With this game, I don’t have an issue with the coaches accepting defeat early, and moving on. Haarberg knows how to run the option (at least the keeper), but he needs to continue to work on his passing, and the coaches need to find areas in the passing game which he can succeed. 

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, but this is a case where YPC just doesn't tell the whole story. Having few attempts and getting to play against their 3rd string defense helps, you take out Fleeks run and we're at 20 for 32 (1.6 YPC). You can take out their 3 longest runs and they were still at 48 for 194 (4.0).

Oddly enough, I am aware that a 74 yards run skews the average.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

We averaged 5.0 yards per attempt.  They were 4.9.

Yep.  Reminds me of the olden days of MNF when Cosell was yammering stats and how Time Of Possession and Yards Gained Per Carry/Game would give you the winner of any given game as long as you're "at least 3 games into the season," when Dandy Don chimed in with, "statistics are not discussed down there."