Year One Success

Wasn't really sure where to put this so decided to start a new thread.  Watching Louisville dismantle Notre Dame tonight.  Brohm came into a program that had previous seasons of 8-5, 4-7, 6-7 and last year 8-5.  He inherited a "better" team than Rhule, but brought in 35 guys from the portal, (including his QB).  He now sits at 6-0 and is top 25.  Possibly top 20 after the newest poll.  If Louisville can have this success, why has NU wandered aimlessly for years.  Coaching?  Missing on recruits?  Scheme? Missing that "1" guy? Truly wondering.  Duke is now ranked....Elko turned them around in year one (2022). We continually recruit top 25, but we are still struggling.  Thoughts?  

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Could it be the level of competition you face.  This is a tough bloodbath conference.

Looking at Louisvlle schedule to date, we beat Murray St.  Unsure about GT, Boston College, NC State, ND or Indiana (probably a win).  But we have been bad for years.  Unable to break out of the rut.  And that's what is crazy.  4.5 years under Frost and nothing.  Riley caught a break in year 2.  And Louisville would beat us.  And probably badly.  

Be interesting to see the rest of the season.  The West is a dumpster fire.  You'd think we could finally go bowling.  IIRC longest non bowl streak in P5.

And year 1 HC at GT just beat 4-0 Miami....On the road.  And Key also took over a sh!t show.

26 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I see this same thing with a lot of early success in coaching now there is one key thing they almost all seem to have in common. They bring a QB from the a previous stop. Rhule obviously couldn't do this and with a good QB we probably have 1 loss right now and 2 at the most. 

100%. Rhule has got to get an impact transfer this off-season. 

What I can see is the mentality of our guys changing. They are fighting harder than I’ve seen since.. probably the Bo era. 

I’m optimistic. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2

Rhule straight up botched the transfer portal and there's no other way to put it. not really surprising given that he was in the nfl the prior 5 years.

lucky for him the bar is extremely low and we have a really easy schedule, but it's going to be extremely crucial he finds some skill players in the portal this offseason.

if rhule makes a bowl game this year, he probably guarantees himself he'll be here for at least 4-5 years.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
7 hours ago, lo country said:

Wasn't really sure where to put this so decided to start a new thread.  Watching Louisville dismantle Notre Dame tonight.  Brohm came into a program that had previous seasons of 8-5, 4-7, 6-7 and last year 8-5.  He inherited a "better" team than Rhule, but brought in 35 guys from the portal, (including his QB).  He now sits at 6-0 and is top 25.  Possibly top 20 after the newest poll.  If Louisville can have this success, why has NU wandered aimlessly for years.  Coaching?  Missing on recruits?  Scheme? Missing that "1" guy? Truly wondering.  Duke is now ranked....Elko turned them around in year one (2022). We continually recruit top 25, but we are still struggling.  Thoughts?  

I've noticed that, too.  Why can't Nebraska be like other teams and stuff. 

Doggone it.

NU has wandered in the desert for years, yet other teams have found reasonable success in a much shorter time than we have.  QB play appears to be the top position mentioned to initiate a turn around.  Regardless of the future success, based upon a "quicker" turn around, I'd take it at this moment.

Look what OU is doing this year as well 

it is frustrating but our D has improved. We just need to get 

plenty of skilled players on offense and  a new OL and OL coach.  
Replace Riola with a veteran coach who can pull in 

difference makers on the line immediately 

The new Big 10 will be a meat grinder and we need better 

coaches in key positions including WR and dare I say OC

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

NU has wandered in the desert for years, yet other teams have found reasonable success in a much shorter time than we have.  QB play appears to be the top position mentioned to initiate a turn around.  Regardless of the future success, based upon a "quicker" turn around, I'd take it at this moment.

Sorry but we all know we aren’t going to see a magical transformation this year. We will be lucky to get bowl eligible (which is quite an improvement for this program) with this QB and offense.

The grass is always greener somewhere.

• Plus1 3
31 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Sorry but we all know we aren’t going to see a magical transformation this year. We will be lucky to get bowl eligible (which is quite an improvement for this program) with this QB and offense.

The grass is always greener somewhere.

With injuries, OL, WR and QB play to date getting to a bowl would be a phenomenal accomplishment. Hoping Rhule and Co are actively working the portal for next season. 

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Look what OU is doing this year as well 

it is frustrating but our D has improved. We just need to get 

plenty of skilled players on offense and  a new OL and OL coach.  
Replace Riola with a veteran coach who can pull in 

difference makers on the line immediately 

The new Big 10 will be a meat grinder and we need better 

coaches in key positions including WR and dare I say OC

You want to look at OU this year, but they were not good last year. I am not sure why people want to just automatically throw out position coaches as the reason why NU is losing. I want position coaches who are on the same page as the head coach and who can deliver the top-down message from the head coach. 

• TBH 4