The Israel-Hamas War

Come on @knapplc, you just trolling me? You think Joe Biden wants to recruit immigrants that hate us and I should support that because of an inscription on a statue that France gave us?

How about if the US matches the Arab world 1 for 1 with refugees?

• Fire 3
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Gage County said:

Come on @knapplc, you just trolling me? You think Joe Biden wants to recruit immigrants that hate us and I should support that because of an inscription on a statue that France gave us?

KGQMAxP.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • TBH 3

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

KGQMAxP.jpeg

Thanks for asking. Here's the poll all the Western media cite. They don't sound like they like us at all.

https://www.pcpsr.org/sites/default/files/Poll 91 English press release 20 March 2024.pdf

Here's Mosab Yusef, a son of a Hamas leader. I think his UofMich speech was even better. All but a very small handful Palestinians speak out against Hamas like this. Palestinians don't share his view.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, Gage County said:

Thanks for asking. Here's the poll all the Western media cite. They don't sound like they like us at all.

https://www.pcpsr.org/sites/default/files/Poll 91 English press release 20 March 2024.pdf

Here's Mosab Yusef, a son of a Hamas leader. I think his UofMich speech was even better. All but a very small handful Palestinians speak out against Hamas like this. Palestinians don't share his view.

Your premise that "Joe Biden wants to recruit immigrants that hate us" is a gross misrepresentation of "providing humanitarian aid and refuge" to an oppressed people. 

You want the Arab world to take refugees. Egypt has already indicated they will. So that's taken care of.

Did you read the poll you posted? Because it doesn't say they don't like us. Maybe you could quote the portion that shows that, if these refugees were allowed to come to America, they would be our enemies? Or cause trouble? Because I'm not seeing that. Being "dissatisfied" with our response is not the same as being an enemy.

• Haha 3
  • TBH 3
3 hours ago, Gage County said:

Reading about the experiences other Middle Eastern countries have had with Palestinians over the last few decades is pretty eye opening. Really underscores the double standard held against Israel.  

There’s a reason Egypt’s border with Gaza looks like this AFP__20240216__34JG3AH__v1__HighRes__Pal

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
On 5/7/2024 at 10:32 AM, Fru said:

Reading about the experiences other Middle Eastern countries have had with Palestinians over the last few decades is pretty eye opening. Really underscores the double standard held against Israel.  

There’s a reason Egypt’s border with Gaza looks like this AFP__20240216__34JG3AH__v1__HighRes__Pal

I definitely don't think any country should be judged harshly for the measures they take to secure their borders - as long as it just goes as far as not letting people enter in a way that they deem illegal or unwanted.

But I believe that a fairly objective take on Gaza is that the people there have had it pretty tough over the span of many decades. And I tend to think about women and children more closely in that assessment. I am learning about reports that during attempted peaceful protests by Palestinians in 2018, IDF snipers targeted peoples' kneecaps/below the knee hits, intentionally trying to maim people - even minors.

So, there's "securing your border" and then there's systematically brutalizing/hampering people (in various ways) on the other side of the fence.

Tangentially, I'm starting to see more and more so many Americans wanting to "pick a side" in this thing. I suppose that's human nature to do that. But this situation is seriously a clusterjam disaster. So much insane history going on between the two people, over so many time frames.

War is bad, violence is bad, and at this point I wish Israel would just leave Gaza alone and I wish that my country would stop funding worldwide warfare.

(Fru, most of my post was not directed at you, really just the first paragraph)

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
  • Worth a Look 1

No country on Earth wants to open its doors to a flood of poor people,  Maybe that's selfish, but it's also understandable. 

That's what makes them refugees. But sometimes it's the ambition of a$$h@!es that create the flood of refugees. Some accountability is in order.

Palestinians are so low in the ranking of the oppressed that they're refugees in their own country.

It's problematic. 

• Plus1 1
On 5/7/2024 at 9:37 AM, Gage County said:

Remember when Bush liberated Kuwait? The first thing they did was to ethically cleanse the country, Kuwait expelled a quarter million Palestinians the first month.

($.69 check to the first one to get it!)

Not sure where you were going with this, but Kuwait is an interesting example, given that it was essentially created by Britain to secure valuable oil fields and shipping access (and take them away from Iraq) and highly influenced by U.S. business and foreign policy interests. The small oil-rich nation became very Western-friendly and cosmopolitan and typically hired Palestinians to do the lesser jobs. There are a lot of parallels, but if you're looking to establish a rooting interest and/or lessons to be learned, it's still a total mess. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I definitely don't think any country should be judged harshly for the measures they take to secure their borders - as long as it just goes as far as not letting people enter in a way that they deem illegal or unwanted.

But I believe that a fairly objective take on Gaza is that the people there have had it pretty tough over the span of many decades. And I tend to think about women and children more closely in that assessment. I am learning about reports that during attempted peaceful protests by Palestinians in 2018, IDF snipers targeted peoples' kneecaps/below the knee hits, intentionally trying to maim people - even minors.

So, there's "securing your border" and then there's systematically brutalizing/hampering people (in various ways) on the other side of the fence.

Tangentially, I'm starting to see more and more so many Americans wanting to "pick a side" in this thing. I suppose that's human nature to do that. But this situation is seriously a clusterjam disaster. So much insane history going on between the two people, over so many time frames.

War is bad, violence is bad, and at this point I wish Israel would just leave Gaza alone and I wish that my country would stop funding worldwide warfare.

(Fru, most of my post was not directed at you, really just the first paragraph)

Not only that, but Israel has been going in, demolishing people's homes...just because they want the land to put up their own settlements.

I'd live to hear what conservatives would do if someone was doing that to them.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not only that, but Israel has been going in, demolishing people's homes...just because they want the land to put up their own settlements.

Illegally.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

For anyone interested, this is a great listen regarding urban warfare.

Regardless of your opinions of Sam Harris, the info John Spencer provides is fascinating