**** Northwestern Game Day Thread****

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

If he turns the ball over a lot next game then I agree. But I would take bad QB who doesn't turn the ball over over what we saw with Sims. Bad QB turning the ball over then fine, let them both play.

So HH wasn't that QB today with his play.  Two picks on him and the drops.  A series off today could have been benefitial for a young QB

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, Heretic Husker said:

interesting that Northwestern used a wildcat QB and Rhule never thinks about the possibilities of Sims for a few plays to mix it up when Haarberg is playing as bad as he was- also, his upright running style is going to get him killed

We don’t want butterfingers anywhere near the field. He would have fumbled and accidentally kicked it out the back of the end zone. Hard pass on that guy. 

Our offensive playcalling was suspect at best all game long. The last third and four draw up the middle was a s*** call and playing not to lose—against a better team that lack of intestinal fortitude by our OC could swing momentum. Where are the Tight Ends—we only went to them a couple of times, and while they were getting manhandled more than a coed in a hotel room after prom, we should have included them a lot more to loosen up the NW defense. 

Someone brought up Wildcat and Sims on the sideline, and that’s a valid point…if you make the assumption that Bubba is a valid QB backup. From what we’ve seen, he isn’t, so why risk Sims on Wildcat? 

Our defensive playcalling will be the reason we go bowling, and our DC deserves a phat contract boost. 

11 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

So HH wasn't that QB today with his play.  Two picks on him and the drops.  A series off today could have been benefitial for a young QB

There has been a lot of talk from the Nebraska media wondering if Rhule were to bench HH, that it would kill HH's confidence, and Rhule would have a tough time going back to HH if Sims were to struggle.

I don't know what the answer is.  NU is in a terrible QB situation, but NU keeps winning despite of it.  Iowa lost with their backup QB today, after only scoring 10 points.

• TBH 1

2 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Our offensive playcalling was suspect at best all game long. The last third and four draw up the middle was a s*** call and playing not to lose—against a better team that lack of intestinal fortitude by our OC could swing momentum. Where are the Tight Ends—we only went to them a couple of times, and while they were getting manhandled more than a coed in a hotel room after prom, we should have included them a lot more to loosen up the NW defense. 

Someone brought up Wildcat and Sims on the sideline, and that’s a valid point…if you make the assumption that Bubba is a valid QB backup. From what we’ve seen, he isn’t, so why risk Sims on Wildcat? 

Our defensive playcalling will be the reason we go bowling, and our DC deserves a phat contract boost. 

That's flat out wrong.  Fidone is the only receiver which Haarberg looks for.  Fidone was targeted at least a half dozen times today, on only 17 pass attempts.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There has been a lot of talk from the Nebraska media wondering if Rhule were to bench HH, that it would kill HH's confidence, and Rhule would have a tough time going back to HH if Sims were to struggle.

I don't know what the answer is.  NU is in a terrible QB situation, but NU keeps winning despite of it.  Iowa lost with their backup QB today, after only scoring 10 points.

There was no reason to bench him before IMO, after seeing Sims play. But if he becomes TO prone then it should be wide open again.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Many many teams have done this, especially with a young QB.  Hell Urban was a master at it.  Let the youngster see stuff from the sideline and let the moment slow down a second.  Key is communication and let HH and Sims(or whomever takes the series) that it is one series no matter the outcome of said drive.  Yes it can open Pandora's box if QB 2 leads a successful drive and then QB 1 comes back and struggles.  But at this point and with this team, any kind of spark/different look/scheme is welcomed when an offense is struggling mightily.  

6 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Who the hell is #90?  Made a nice play and just missed a sack in the 1st qrt then he gets a sack in the 4th

James Williams.  I have never heard of the guy either, but it's great how White's scheme allows a plug and play system at certain positions.  It's also great to see so many young defensive players.

1 minute ago, PaulCrewe said:

Many many teams have done this, especially with a young QB.  Hell Urban was a master at it.  Let the youngster see stuff from the sideline and let the moment slow down a second.  Key is communication and let HH and Sims(or whomever takes the series) that it is one series no matter the outcome of said drive.  Yes it can open Pandora's box if QB 2 leads a successful drive and then QB 1 comes back and struggles.  But at this point and with this team, any kind of spark/different look/scheme is welcomed when an offense is struggling mightily.  

I don't necessarily disagree with you.  I don't like how Haarberg passes.  It's just not an easy answer.  We don't know how many reps Sims is getting with the #1 offense, but I do agree with you  in that he should start to get more reps in case he's needed.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you.  I don't like how Haarberg passes.  It's just not an easy answer.  We don't know how many reps Sims is getting with the #1 offense, but I do agree with you  in that he should start to get more reps in case he's needed.

I agree it's not an easy answer and is compounded by having an extremely poor OLine.  I just favor the pause for a young QB to get a different vantage point of what a defense is doing and having a coach in his ear to talk him through things while watching it not under fire.  

Agree with you on the passing.  HH is a here is my first look according to the coaches so that is where I am throwing it.  THIS has to change.  The low angle delivery is a lecture itself but, I think letting him see a defense from the sideline for a series may help him see things in the passing game that he'll never see by being a locked in on option 1 passer

2 minutes ago, jamesbond said:

Why would you bench the QB who is actually winning games? Makes no sense at all.

No one here is saying bench the defense that is winning games

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

We don’t want butterfingers anywhere near the field. He would have fumbled and accidentally kicked it out the back of the end zone. Hard pass on that guy. 

HH tossed 2 picks, had 2 balls knocked down at the line and fumbled a snap.

If he was not from a small town in Nebraska, he would be up the cross next to Sims, getting crucified. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2