What did we learn? Northwestern Version

55 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Every year, fan bases debate the value of a specific qb coach, and it almost always boils down to anecdotal examples of where one apparently worked and one apparently didn't.

Realistically, we might just all have to agree that perhaps there's more nuance to it all.

Kinda like a LB coach, a DL coach, an OLine coach, etc…. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

not sure what your measuring stick for gauging recruiting better QBs than going off their rating out of hs.

There's nothing to gauge.  No measuring stick is even possible without a rating.  The coaches should sit back and wait for who Nike tells them after the elite 11 camp.

Quite honestly, all teams should just wait for the sports writers associated with 24/7 to tell them how good the players are and then make their selections.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
57 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Maybe I’m misreading this but isn’t he playing better this year? Lol

Again, in the micro one could reasonably commit to saying that but we are not looking solely at stats but also wins & losses. With Satterfield last year he was the qb on a 8 win team. This year without Satterfield, well... to date 2 wins. What I'm trying to point out is this.. just win baby.. don't care if it's pretty or ugly, just win and honestly, I think we all agree, winning ugly is far better than losing pretty. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Every year, fan bases debate the value of a specific qb coach, and it almost always boils down to anecdotal examples of where one apparently worked and one apparently didn't.

Realistically, we might just all have to agree that perhaps there's more nuance to it all.

Jimbo Fischer hasn't done much without Winston.

Edit:  Chizek, not Malzhan hasn't done much without Newton.

Belichick probably should have retired when Brady left.

They all get paid a lot of money.

• TBH 2
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Same thing when Martinez got offseason help from Calhoun. People used it as an indictment against Tim Beck, while conveniently failing to realize that the same qb guru worked with Heisman trophy winner Jameis Winston the year before and it's a common practice for great quarterbacks as much as good all-the-way-down to bad ones.

42 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Malzhan hasn't done much without Newton.

I won't stand for this Gene Chizik erasure.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

10 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Same thing when Martinez got offseason help from Calhoun. People used it as an indictment against Tim Beck, while conveniently failing to realize that the same qb guru worked with Heisman trophy winner Jameis Winston the year before and it's a common practice for great quarterbacks as much as good all-the-way-down to bad ones.

I won't stand for this Gene Chizik erasure.

My bad, that's what I meant.  Thank you for catching that.  I'll edit.

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

I know we have a QB coach.  It was a rhetorical question.

Please find a QB Coach --V

wUQT6SS.png

Here's why I think a dedicated QB Coach is needed. For all the NFL concepts that Rhule is trying to cross-pollinate into Nebraska football, I'm surprised that QB Coach wasn't one of them. When this article was written, 27 of the NFL teams had a dedicated QB Coach: "Your goal as the quarterbacks coach is to keep the coordinator out of the room"

I suspect that Rhule wanted to spend his budget a little differently and so postponed a QB Coach position, for now. Also, since the Offensive Coordinator and the QB Coach need to be 100% on the same page, Rhule might have wanted to let his OC submit his choice. Or perhaps the guy they wanted wasn't available (timing wasn't good and that could change, going forward.)

ESPECIALLY in a Year One, the OC is going to be all about installing his playbook and teaching the system. Once the season starts, the OC is going to be into game planning, (and trying to figure out how to best replace injured players on offense and scheme with THEM). The OC probably has very little time to work with the QB's arm mechanics, for instance. Seems like it might be a good question to ask Haarberg in a press conference: "Has anyone tried to change your throwing mechanics, either in HS or at Nebraska?" followed up with "Would you like them to?"

2 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

wUQT6SS.png

Here's why I think a dedicated QB Coach is needed. For all the NFL concepts that Rhule is trying to cross-pollinate into Nebraska football, I'm surprised that QB Coach wasn't one of them. When this article was written, 27 of the NFL teams had a dedicated QB Coach: "Your goal as the quarterbacks coach is to keep the coordinator out of the room"

I suspect that Rhule wanted to spend his budget a little differently and so postponed a QB Coach position, for now. Also, since the Offensive Coordinator and the QB Coach need to be 100% on the same page, Rhule might have wanted to let his OC submit his choice. Or perhaps the guy they wanted wasn't available (timing wasn't good and that could change, going forward.)

ESPECIALLY in a Year One, the OC is going to be all about installing his playbook and teaching the system. Once the season starts, the OC is going to be into game planning, (and trying to figure out how to best replace injured players on offense and scheme with THEM). The OC probably has very little time to work with the QB's arm mechanics, for instance. Seems like it might be a good question to ask Haarberg in a press conference: "Has anyone tried to change your throwing mechanics, either in HS or at Nebraska?" followed up with "Would you like them to?"

image.png.93a4590962da94022a311314cde60e24.png

https://huskers.com/sports/football/roster/season/2023/staff/marcus-satterfield

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

wUQT6SS.png

You actually think we don’t have a QB coach?

• TBH 1
2 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

wUQT6SS.png

You are limited in college as to how many official positional coaches you can have.  Sure, you can have GAs and behind the scenes folks, but these personnel are extremely limited on how much practice time they can participate in and cannot travel/recruit.  

Lets say Rhule changes his mind and wants a dedicated QB coach beyond Satt- who are you removing from that list?  I'm not changing a thing about the defensive coaches.  The only coaching position I can see them folding into one would be WR/TE.  I don't see Rhule going this route if he truly wants a power run/control the clock and win with defense type of team.  Plus, there are high quality TEs to be had in the midwest that require a dedicated coach- Iowa has feasted on this position for a decade now, some of the players couldve easily been a husker instead.  I also don't see us combining OL & TE together- jury is still out as to if Raiola can even do the OL coaching job, I'm not handing him the keys for TE on top of it when he has enough on his plate as is.

• TBH 1

I’m not necessarily advocating a benching of HH. But he put us behind the 8 ball early with bad throws and decisions. I think giving Sims a series or two is fine and maybe even gives the O a spark. No harm in trying at this point. You can always go back to HH. And if Rhule is going to be true to his word then HH should be forced to sit after multiple turnovers like everyone else. 

And I know the old adage about if you have two QB you have none, but guess what?? We don’t have one. NFW next years QB is on this roster. So mix it up and get some points when and where you can. 

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

I’m not necessarily advocating a benching of HH. But he put us behind the 8 ball early with bad throws and decisions. I think giving Sims a series or two is fine and maybe even gives the O a spark. No harm in trying at this point. You can always go back to HH. And if Rhule is going to be true to his word then HH should be forced to sit after multiple turnovers like everyone else. 

I think it boils down to the fact that Simms simply has the yips.  I dont know how else you can explain those dropped snaps in boulder.  His int at the end of the first half against minnesota was inexcusable for a veteran QB- you either throw to an open guy or ya throw it out of the back of the end zone and kick a FG, instead he threw it into double coverage right to minny.  His int in the 2nd in boulder was horrific, completely gave the game away in addition to the dropped snaps.  While HH did put us in the hole against NW, none of his turnovers come even close to the ones I outlined above.  

We'd be better off leveraging Simms in a bobby newcombe type capacity.  He clearly has wheels, let's sprinkle in some formations where its a reverse pass or option pass.  Make the defense think a bit.  

Some fans might not like this but HH is a convenient as hell option for Rhule.  In state kid, has the team rallied around him, rhule has a cop out excuse to go find an upgrade in the portal (please with no turnover history).  If rhule goes back to Simms and simms is the same choke artist he was, rhule faces the possibility of losing this team for this year and losing the goodwill he's built up with the fans, quickly.