2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Could have said that the past two years as well.  But we still got guys to transfer in.

There are more QBs than there are starting spots.  There's already a couple guys who have started this year in the portal.  We just have to get one who gets better, not worse.

That was my thought, you have to get someone better.  What do we have to offer besides playing time that other schools can't match?  Moving up a level to P5/B1G is a solid answer still for a lower level guy.  This is an honest question.

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, I guess we just shouldn’t try because there’s never been a team that could be a lot better with a good QB transfer and went out and found one. 

That's super helpful, thanks. I asked a legitimate question about why anyone would want to come here specifically, never did I say we shouldn't try.  Would you like to actually try and answer my question now instead of being a smarta$$?

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

That was my thought, you have to get someone better.  What do we have to offer besides playing time that other schools can't match?  This is an honest question.

There are a ton of things that recruits/transfers consider.  People like to try to make it binary but it's not.  

We got guys who had significant starting experience at Power 5 schools the past two years.  There's no reason why we can't get someone again.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Seems to me that fumbling is a player problem, not a coach scheme problem.  

That's true but coaches got to pick the right players not to fumble.  I don't know if Jeff Sims got intimidated by being here or if it was to big of a stage for him but turnovers have always came with him making plays before he got here.  Hopefully the coaches can pick a qb that isn't a turnover machine and is smart with the football and can actually throw the ball accurately.

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, runningblind said:

What QB is looking at this situation and wants to sign up? We keep talking about bringing in a good QB but I'm not convinced any top transfer wants to sign up over other schools offering similar things.

How did Washington get Penix coming off a 4-8 season?  How did LSU get Daniels coming off a 6-7 season?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 4

14 hours ago, runningblind said:

That's super helpful, thanks. I asked a legitimate question about why anyone would want to come here specifically, never did I say we shouldn't try.  Would you like to actually try and answer my question now instead of being a smarta$$?

There are lots of things we offer that the average program doesn't.  I'm not saying we have more to offer than the top programs in the country.  But, the average program:

1) We have a very good NIL system as has been mentioned by a number of players

2) Loyal fan base that shows up every week so they play in front of a full stadium.

3) Top notch facilities.

4) A staff that is moving the program in the right direction. Yes, I believe this is true.

5) A program that has proven that it can be competitive with almost anyone on the schedule.  Fix the turnover issues (largely because of QBs) and we win more games.

6) Even though we have been losing games, we still get players to the NFL.

7) Top 25 HS recruiting classes so the player has decent talent around them.  Yes, it still needs to improve.  But, we have the talent to be winning more games than we have been.

8) A good defense that's going to be helping the offense win games.

9) Playing in one of the top two football conferences in the country.

That's just a few.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

How did Washington get Penix coming off a 4-8 season?  How did LSU get Daniels coming off a 6-7 season?

Neither of those guys produced anything like they are now at their old schools, so the new environment helped all parties. We can hope for something like that, but it hasn't happened yet at Nebraska where all the pieces fit and raises everyone's play.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

Neither of those guys produced anything like they are now at their old schools, so the new environment helped all parties. We can hope for something like that, but it hasn't happened yet at Nebraska where all the pieces fit and raises everyone's play.

The big piece of that is they transferred form places with very little talent to places with a ton of top end skill players. We are not that school, so a talented QB looking for a jump in their surrounding cast is probably not looking hard at us.

I'm optimistic about what our WR room will look like in 2 years (and even much improved next year), but I'm not the one who needs convinced that the talent is here.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I think Penix was also hurt while at Indiana, right?

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Does anyone have the stat of what percentage of our turnovers were directly caused by the QB either with an INT or fumble?

16 Interceptions is obvious.

I don't know a good way to look at fumbles lost.  PFF shows total fumbles:

• HH 13
  • Sims 6
  • Grant 3
  • Purdy 2
  • Kemp 1

Grant obviously lost one at Minnesota.  I don't remember if we lost his other two or Kemp's fumble.