2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

6 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

We all know that the talk about going back to 90's running was just a gimmick to appease the fans. If we get McCord we'll most likely do what all the top teams are doing. No way we minimize his arm talent just to showcase the most pathetic running game we've seen in a while.
Edit: Going along with the 'We're the old timey Huskers' script and trying to be the jack of all trades Alf and Ralph Deck Builders is making Satterfield look confused and indecisive. He needs to call what he calls best and turn off the outside interference.

I don't think it was to appease the fans. It was realizing our QB room would throw close to 30 INTs if we threw the ball the normal amount, and that involving them in the run game played best to their strengths. But I agree the goal for next year is making sure we have someone who can throw the ball at a reasonably high level.

2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

We all know that the talk about going back to 90's running was just a gimmick to appease the fans. If we get McCord we'll most likely do what all the top teams are doing. No way we minimize his arm talent just to showcase the most pathetic running game we've seen in a while.
Edit: Going along with the 'We're the old timey Huskers' script and trying to be the jack of all trades Alf and Ralph Deck Builders is making Satterfield look confused and indecisive. He needs to call what he calls best and turn off the outside interference.

Unsure if it was a gimmick, but using the FB the first play of the spring game was.  And a nod too Frank.  I think they thought they had the answer in Sims, a "dual threat" QB who would be effective in the passing game.  Unfortunately for NU, he was a TRUE dual threat in that he fumbled and threw INT's with equal ease to the other team.  

With who they are looking at, I agree that they appear to be going after legit "traditional" QB's.  Although Howard is "more" running than the others.  I am a run the damn ball guy, but I like Michigan's running game just fine.  Using a "traditional" QB.  The traditional QB appears to be more in Satts wheelhouse for sure. Maybe that helps.

• Fire 1
On 12/4/2023 at 12:49 PM, Husker in WI said:

Wisconsin lands a transfer OLB, less than 24 hours he decommits and redirects everyone to his "NIL Agent." Which is a thing that should not exist IMO - I'm all for players having a choice to go somewhere else, but when you have to recruit their agent instead of them? That's crazy. Money can be the biggest factor for a player, that's fine. But it's literally going to be the only factor if you let an agent handle it all, and some guys will regret that.

Tweet from the player was just deleted, but said:

My agent Chris Walsh @TXRecruited will be handling all my official visits and recruitment so anything involving my recruitment please contact him

Dude doesn't want you questioning how much he charges, and also can't be bothered to learn the difference between their and there. Most coach salaries are public information, so go ahead and have your guys ask.

Idk what the article says but he's set to go Wisconsin

• Plus1 1

I feel I learned that Chubba Purdy could actually be good in a pinch, say 2 games if QB1 goes down.  

I feel that Haarberg could be serviceable in a game, if CP isn't available.  

Not saying it would be a great feeling going into a game, but at least you know what to expect.  And they have some experience now.  

A lot of quarterbacks are going into portal to make bank.  Not necessarily NFL material, but pretty good college players.  So they know what they are doing and I do not blame them.  But also, I haven't seen a player out there at quarterback worth 50K to 100K per game.  Just look at loyalty and moving around as one example.  7-9 wins is not worth the risk for the price being exploited.  

We do need someone to be that QB1.  A transfer portal QB.  I just hope our NIL group doesn't bend over and overpay.  There are enough guys out there to make our team better, including quarterbacks without the uber headline flashes because they threw xxxx yards with xx TDs. 

But it's tough to figure it out when it comes to the portal. 

Player A B and C have the stats and the starts. 

Player D comes from the G5. 

Player E comes from FCS, has the same tangibles as the others, but isn't driven by the thought of becoming a millionaire in college.  

I just hope we get it right and get a good one.  We need this.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 3

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't think it was to appease the fans. It was realizing our QB room would throw close to 30 INTs if we threw the ball the normal amount, and that involving them in the run game played best to their strengths. But I agree the goal for next year is making sure we have someone who can throw the ball at a reasonably high level.

I'm talking about using the fullback once in a blue moon, running the saddest option ever, but continually trying a sorry looking zone read. It was mostly an uncoordinated mess.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, GSG said:

Idk what the article says but he's set to go Wisconsin

Had a perfect visit with his high school coach and committed, decided he needed an agent against coaches advice. Agents decided within 24 hours that wisconsin not giving him written assurance of NIL dollar amounts (which would be insane for them to do before hes even enrolled) is a problem. Coach asks player "wtf?!" after seeing the "my agents will handle my recruitment" and learns they are going to charge him 10% of his NIL money. He fires the agents and made up with the wisconsin coaches.

Kind of exactly what it seemed like, lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
6 minutes ago, admo said:

I feel I learned that Chubba Purdy could actually be good in a pinch, say 2 games if QB1 goes down.  

I feel that Haarberg could be serviceable in a game, if CP isn't available.  

Not saying it would be a great feeling going into a game, but at least you know what to expect.  And they have some experience now.  

A lot of quarterbacks are going into portal to make bank.  Not necessarily NFL material, but pretty good college players.  So they know what they are doing and I do not blame them.  But also, I haven't seen a player out there at quarterback worth 50K to 100K per game.  Just look at loyalty and moving around as one example.  7-9 wins is not worth the risk for the price being exploited.  

We do need someone to be that QB1.  A transfer portal QB.  I just hope our NIL group doesn't bend over and overpay.  There are enough guys out there to make our team better, including quarterbacks without the uber headline flashes because they threw xxxx yards with xx TDs. 

But it's tough to figure it out when it comes to the portal. 

Player A B and C have the stats and the starts. 

Player D comes from the G5. 

Player E comes from FCS, has the same tangibles as the others, but isn't driven by the thought of becoming a millionaire in college.  

I just hope we get it right and get a good one.  We need this.

Spot on with the bolded.  Do I think a "better" QB would have had us bowling? Yes.  Do I think that is the only piece we need to get to the next level?  No.  But it was one of the most glaring pieces that we needed.

I think Chubba has a lot of upside.  He played in 2022 and honestly unsure how much actual coaching he got.  Then  he got injured.  This year, new scheme, coach etc...and still injured.  Again, unsure how much coaching/live reps he got.  HH was not even in the QB room last year. Starts this year as QB 3 IIRC, and then in game 3 gets the call.  In reality, I am unsure how much coaching and attention they have actually received at NU.  I like Chubba over HH as he appears to be an actual dial threat guy.  Chubba might even be able to be coached/developed to be QB1. I like HH in a Taysom Hill roll.  He is a guy that needs to see the field.  

Sadly, the portal is now a $2 million crap shoot.  Would Sims NIL value have been that much last year?  Unsure tbh.  But what if it was. A lot of money for little return.  Much like some of the businesses that kick in.  I wouldn't mind a QB from G5 or even a FCS school.  I think they would be "cheaper" and although playing at a "lower" level, you can't "coach" talent or abilities.  

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I'm talking about using the fullback once in a blue moon, running the saddest option ever, but continually trying a sorry looking zone read. It was mostly an uncoordinated mess.

I said during some games that if I never saw the option again (as we "ran it") I would be good.  It was completely ineffective for multiple reasons.  I never really saw us use the FB in a traditional way either.  It was more along the lines of throw everything at the wall to see what sticks.  For me, it didn't stick.  Although I called for it early and often, but again was never used as I envisioned a traditional NU FB would be used.

• TBH 1

28 minutes ago, lo country said:

I said during some games that if I never saw the option again (as we "ran it") I would be good.  It was completely ineffective for multiple reasons.  I never really saw us use the FB in a traditional way either.  It was more along the lines of throw everything at the wall to see what sticks.  For me, it didn't stick.  Although I called for it early and often, but again was never used as I envisioned a traditional NU FB would be used.

Eh ... that's a bit of an overstatement.  It worked extremely well for 2-3 games.  Maybe that was because we were playing lesser teams.  Maybe that was because teams weren't prepared for it and it didn't work as well once they had practiced against it.

But it was very effective for awhile.  Not so much down the stretch.

• Plus1 1

We need more than a QB. We need some good TE as Fidone was overrated and underachieved. We need some good OL. We need some players on special teams as our special teams play was unspecial to say the least. We definitely need a good special teams coach. Many on this board ignore the importance of special teams. We would have had at least two more wins had our special teams done something special. The one time they did, we won the game convincingly. I am not sure what miracle Rhule is going to pull next year but he will need one if we are to go bowling. As I say that, I see how low our standards have dropped. From not being happy winning 9 games to hoping to get to 6-6 to go bowling. 

• Haha 2

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/news/top-10-quarterbacks-transfer-portal-ncaa-updated-cam-ward-dante-moore-will-howard/ On3 top 10 updated transfer portal qb list.  Nebraska coaches have reached out to the first, third and eighth ranked qb.  Ward is first, Howard is third, and McCord is eighth.  I think a lot of analyst are ranking McCord low bc they expected more from him with the weapons he had.  He went 11-1.  It shouldn't have been all on him bc Ohio State lost to Michigan.  They didn't run the ball well either that game.  Ohio State and all the other dominant teams take a 11-1 record for granted.  Nebraskan's would be thrilled to go 11-1 and play in the Cotton Bowl.  Ryan Day is apparently on the hot seat bc he has lost to Michigan three times in a row and hasn't won a National Championship.  Win a Championship or we will find someone who will type mentality Ohio State has.

• Thanks 1