2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

49 minutes ago, JWHusker said:

My guess is that we land McCord at say 1.6M and have enough NIL for someone like Leavitt at maybe 400k for longer term QB value. (McCord would also include Flemming ideally)

Leavitt was under the impression from our staff that they weren't taking 2 qb's in the transfer portal.  Think he is a back up plan to what McCord decides.  Technically if we were to gain his commitment along with McCord's we would have 5 qb's on the roster for next season.  Im not counting Sims but McCord's, Leavitt, Purdy, Kaelin, and Haarberg.  I really think that Purdy isn't as bad as some husker fans make him out to be just really needs to have a healthy off season after his surgery to hopefully practice during the spring.  Haarberg should be moved to tight end bc he needs a proper qb coach to fix his throwing mechanics and their is a ton of work that needs to happen in order to get there.  Im not sold on Leavitt bc very small sample size with his college experience.  Maybe Nebraska coaches looked at his high school tapes and saw something they liked.  Im hoping the qb room next season is McCord, Purdy and Kaelin and that whoever is the starter next season has enough weapons to throw to.

7 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Leavitt was under the impression from our staff that they weren't taking 2 qb's in the transfer portal.  Think he is a back up plan to what McCord decides.  Technically if we were to gain his commitment along with McCord's we would have 5 qb's on the roster for next season.  Im not counting Sims but McCord's, Leavitt, Purdy, Kaelin, and Haarberg.  I really think that Purdy isn't as bad as some husker fans make him out to be just really needs to have a healthy off season after his surgery to hopefully practice during the spring.  Haarberg should be moved to tight end bc he needs a proper qb coach to fix his throwing mechanics and their is a ton of work that needs to happen in order to get there.  Im not sold on Leavitt bc very small sample size with his college experience.  Maybe Nebraska coaches looked at his high school tapes and saw something they liked.  Im hoping the qb room next season is McCord, Purdy and Kaelin and that whoever is the starter next season has enough weapons to throw to.

I'd be more than happy with a QB room next year of McCord/Purdy/HH/Kaelin + non-scholly guys. I'm not sure if Purdy would be interested in sticking around knowing he's not a lock for the starting QB role but it would be great if he did. I think Purdy is a more than serviceable back-up QB given Nebraska's track record of QB play. I'm still holding out a small bit of hope that Flores transfers back from Okie State following next year's season if he isn't able to get meaningful playing time.

4 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I'd be more than happy with a QB room next year of McCord/Purdy/HH/Kaelin + non-scholly guys. I'm not sure if Purdy would be interested in sticking around knowing he's not a lock for the starting QB role but it would be great if he did. I think Purdy is a more than serviceable back-up QB given Nebraska's track record of QB play. I'm still holding out a small bit of hope that Flores transfers back from Okie State following next year's season if he isn't able to get meaningful playing time.

I don’t disagree. I personally think there is a very low chance of Purdy sticking around. He will know that he has no shot to start if we are paying a guy 1-2 m to be here. He graduates and has no reason to stay as a back up. No incentive whatsoever. HH will be out back up next year.  Like you I hope he does stay.

• Plus1 1
Just now, HANC said:

I don’t disagree. I personally think there is a very low chance of Purdy sticking around. He will know that he has no shot to start if we are paying a guy 1-2 m to be here. He graduates and has no reason to stay as a back up. No incentive whatsoever. HH will be out back up next year.  Like you I hope he does stay.

Yep, agreed. The question is how is Purdy wired? Is he comfortable living the backup QB life aka the most popular man in Nebraska? He'll get a nice chunk of change for those efforts in a place he's familiar with. Or is it, pop in the portal and spin the wheel? If he wants a guaranteed starting spot he'll probably have to go G5 but on the other hand, I could see him maybe going to a school like Oregon State or Wazzu that has seen their QB room get raided with all the turmoil. I guess we'll see right?

20 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Found it.  That sucks we are out but I'm hoping we get Kyle McCord and don't miss out on a top transfer qb.

You got a tweet to embed! I actually cheered. :lol:

Also, if we take QBs and Sims leaves, we would have 4 QBs on the roster folks. HH is NOT a QB and they'll move him back to TE where they had him if I had to (hope) guess. Absolute in case of emergency guy.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

The thing with Purdy is, for him to really grow into a really good QB, he needs to be QB1. He needs the attention in spring and fall camps to fix some things.  He obviously hasn’t been able to fix those as a career backup here. 

• Plus1 2
On 12/8/2023 at 11:24 PM, lo country said:

If that's the point they wanted to go (given Satts preference) just seems odd in hindsight they go after Sims year one.  And after having run the entire season (out of necessity) with a QB ru centric offense, we might be getting the most static of the "better" QB's in the portal.Kaelin is definitely a traditional QB only running for 169 yards this season on 60 some odd attempts.  And looking at Raiola's stats, he hasn't had positive yards as a rusher since Soph year.  So you have a point that we appear to moving into the era of a static QB.....

I honestly think Sims was the best they thought they could get at the time and they also thought that he would be a pass first qb. Can’t remember where I saw it but that’s what Rhule was quoted saying of Sims. We all know how that turned out. It’s still shocking how much of a miss he was.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

15 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

I honestly think Sims was the best they thought they could get at the time and they also thought that he would be a pass first qb. Can’t remember where I saw it but that’s what Rhule was quoted saying of Sims. We all know how that turned out. It’s still shocking how much of a miss he was.

He was talented at Georgia Tech but also turnover prone.  It just manifested to a horrible year for everyone.  Sims, the team and the fans.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

No doubt.  Especially the comments about him being an NFL talent.  Dude looked the part for sure.  Just the wheels fell off game one and he never got straightened out.  I can't remember a guy with that many turn overs in so few games....

• TBH 1