2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Texas (former Wyoming) WR Isaiah Neyor visiting this weekend.

Missed all of 2022 with a preseason injury.  Then was a big name transferring from Wyoming last year, but had another injury preseason in Texas and only got in for a couple games.

Had 44 catches for 878 yards and 12 TDs in 2021.

What type of receiver is he?

Why is it that we just get 2 of the most accurate passers in NU fb history and we need tall receivers to even have a chance for a competition. ?  

There are plenty of good / capable pass catchers already on the team. Adding another one or two seems like overkill. I choose speed anytime. 

Id take another DL or two and or DE types. Add a couple LBs.  We have about 18 DBs too.  Couple of those can move to WR if desperate. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Why is it that we just get 2 of the most accurate passers in NU fb history and we need tall receivers to even have a chance for a competition. ?  

There are plenty of good / capable pass catchers already on the team. Adding another one or two seems like overkill. I choose speed anytime. 

Id take another DL or two and or DE types. Add a couple LBs.  We have about 18 DBs too.  Couple of those can move to WR if desperate. 

Did you watch any games? Our WR core was terrible. We have not one proven WR. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 4
2 hours ago, Decked said:

Did you watch any games? Our WR core was terrible. We have not one proven WR. 

Yup.  Here is the "experience" that we return at WR for 2024:

IGC 48 career receptions (44 of those were at NM St in 2020-21, and I assume he is coming back, but who knows)

Bullock 15 career receptions

Coleman 8 career receptions

Lloyd 6 career receptions

Doss 2 career receptions

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 3
27 minutes ago, Red Five said:

IGC 48 career receptions (44 of those were at NM St in 2020-21, and I assume he is coming back, but who knows)

Doss 2 career receptions

IGC sucks. Bullock sucks. It’s pretty much resting in the potential of Coleman & Lloyd.

58 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Doss 2 career receptions

I don't know if "career receptions" is supposed to be drama, but...

Huskers Qbs threw 10 touchdowns.

Fidone, Coleman, Lloyd, Bullock had 54 catches and 9 touchdowns. 

So what's the problem?

All were first year players.   

Except Bullock. 

Doss redshirted. 

IGC injured first game.

Do players not grow and improve from year 1 to year 2, or am I missing something?  Because 9 touchdowns says a lot more than you want to admit.  Thankfully they got on the field this past season. 

It was year one.  And a lot of college receivers don't shine their initial season, but become valuable threats in year 2, and even more in year 3.  Which means we are on track like everyone else who has played 1st year players.  

Receivers that go to the portal want Money, along with being the first read every play.  I don't think there are good ones out there that deserve all of that coming here.   

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Doss 2 career receptions

And Bullock might have lead the team in rec, but he sure dropped about equal that. He doesn’t wiff the field if we have anyone remotely decent. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
10 hours ago, Red Five said:

Doss 2 career receptions

And, something missing in this is that they were running wide open a lot more than those stats indicate but, we didn’t have QBs that could get them the ball. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

I’m willing to wait on any indictment of our YOUNG wide outs considering who was throwing/ not throwing the ball to them last year. With the exception of IGC and Bullock I think we have some really good potential at the position. 

If you build it they will come. With DR and DK tossing it around we will see that room get filled out. 

im more concerned about the RB position. Dowdell is a must get. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, admo said:

I don't know if "career receptions" is supposed to be drama, but...

Huskers Qbs threw 10 touchdowns.

Fidone, Coleman, Lloyd, Bullock had 54 catches and 9 touchdowns. 

So what's the problem?

All were first year players.   

Except Bullock. 

Doss redshirted. 

IGC injured first game.

Do players not grow and improve from year 1 to year 2, or am I missing something?  Because 9 touchdowns says a lot more than you want to admit.  Thankfully they got on the field this past season. 

It was year one.  And a lot of college receivers don't shine their initial season, but become valuable threats in year 2, and even more in year 3.  Which means we are on track like everyone else who has played 1st year players.  

Receivers that go to the portal want Money, along with being the first read every play.  I don't think there are good ones out there that deserve all of that coming here.   

Yes, I am 100% trying to stir up drama by pointing out that the production of our returning WR core is scant. :eye roll:

Also, the returning WRs counted for 5 TDs, not 9.

I think having a veteran WR would be beneficial.  It seems the coaches feel the same way.  I don't understand why  people are against bringing in a talented WR that would help to improve the offense.  We've brought in 1 year rental WRs before, some have been great (Toure, Palmer), some haven't (Noa, Kemp).

And nowhere did I say that who we have coming back can't be great.  I hope they all take the next step.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yes, I am 100% trying to stir up drama by pointing out that the production of our returning WR core is scant. :eye roll:

Also, the returning WRs counted for 5 TDs, not 9.

I think having a veteran WR before would be beneficial.  It seems the coaches feel the same way.  I don't understand why  people are against bringing in a talented WR that would help to improve the offense.  We've brought in 1 year rental WR before, some have been great (Toure, Palmer), some haven't (Noa, Kemp).

And nowhere did I say that who we have coming back can't be great.  I hope they all take the next step.

Yep.  Just because we have some good talent coming back (which I think we do), that doesn't mean the staff shouldn't go out and try to find even better and more experienced.

They need to constantly be trying to improve the team....and it seems they agree.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1