2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

39 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

On few, but not this many

You can pretty much assume anyone who started their career as a walk-on (even if they were on scholarship at one point) and most of the guys transferring in each year are not technically on scholarship. Also guys coming back for 5th/6th years - my understanding is guys who sign out of high school get that scholarship for 4 years, but after that they could be taken off. Several high school guys are not on scholarship either. There are a lot more than 10 guys in those buckets.

• TBH 1

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

You can pretty much assume anyone who started their career as a walk-on (even if they were on scholarship at one point) and most of the guys transferring in each year are not technically on scholarship. Also guys coming back for 5th/6th years - my understanding is guys who sign out of high school get that scholarship for 4 years, but after that they could be taken off. Several high school guys are not on scholarship either. There are a lot more than 10 guys in those buckets.

Right, at this point, who's on scholarship and reported as such to the NCAA really doesn't matter. Nebraska will report 85 scholarship players, but may have a roster of 150. 

Nobody knows for sure, but a good number of 'non-scholarship' players are essentially getting NIL payouts that make the distinction between who's on scholarship and who isn't pretty vague. A non scholarship player may have their tuition, housing, extra spending money paid for as part of their deal. It's a strategy that Rhule seems to believe in, and we'll see if using NIL resources to bring in a large quantity of players is the correct approach. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I believe Rhule said in a press conference this week that he doesn't expect any players to enter the portal.

The context that I took from that is that he isn't expecting anyone to enter the portal before spring practice is over, not that he wasn't expecting anyone to enter the portal at all this spring.

It wouldn't surprise me if we lost some OL (21 on scholarship) or DBs (24 on scholarship).

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The context that I took from that is that he isn't expecting anyone to enter the portal before spring practice is over, not that he wasn't expecting anyone to enter the portal at all this spring.

It wouldn't surprise me if we lost some OL (21 on scholarship) or DBs (24 on scholarship).

I was surprised at the comment. I agree with you on your last comment. 

3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm talking scholarship players!

18 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

If they only have 4 qb's on the roster and three are scholarships and one is a walk on hopefully it doesn't come to that.  I only asked bc recent Nebraska starting qb's have gotten hurt throughout the years and we have had to go to back ups.

We started a TE at QB for the majority of last year. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1