What did we learn? Purdue edition

Red Five

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

Are you saying it's bad to try and rip the ball out from an opposing player? That NFL players would agree with that statement?  Do you hear yourself? :lol:

They were doing that the whole game. They couldn’t play so they started grabbing at them when they were down. It was a bad look.

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

The first Haarberg fumble he was almost down and the defender was grabbing at him like an angry B. Most self-respecting guys don't act like a bush leaguer in public....like when Prince and the Revolution was setting those fruity picks... players don't want to be seen with their hands down there. NFL players would frown on that. I think Harby and the guys also struggled with the cold some when it came to ball handling.

I love the passion :lol: but I think your rose-tinted glasses are working a little too well today.

Purdue defenders were doing what they should've been doing. On Haarberg's first fumble, as a defender, if you get an offensive player stuffed up and he's still standing, you rip at that ball like your life depends upon it. Doesn't matter if he's "close" to being down. You play until the whistle blows with zero exceptions because sometimes you're going to get one that goes your way. And as the game goes on and a team gets more desperate, you'll start to see more aggression to strip the ball. NU's players would do the same thing, and have in the past.

There were a lot of things Purdue players did yesterday that I thought were unsportsmanlike, but this wasn't really one of them.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 5
  • Enhance changed the title to What did we learn? Purdue edition

If you told me we'd be 5-3 right now, I'd take it 10 out of 10 times.

Purdue has some nice D-ends.

The woman sitting at the table next to me at the Husker watch site I was at needed cutoff about 4 drinks before she was...she reminded me of some posters on here. Reminded me why i usually watch games alone.

Emmett Johnson has a little wiggle and burst to him.

When your Oline isn't very good, you can change them out and not notice very much.

Those of you complaining about coaching and play calling need to admit that the long drive on our first TD was great scheme and play calling...with only 3 of our original starters even!

Our 2nd TD, the shot after the turnover- we did that a couple weeks ago but missed and then went 3 and out. That day Satt was an idiot that needed fired, so it was still a bad idea yesterday, right? We should've run the ball? Right? 

The development of players that we all gave up on has been one of the many impressive aspects of this staff. Coaches are informed and play the long game. Fans can be uninformed and impatient.

Defense is balling! They are fast, swarm to the ball, tackle well! I really like how many guys see the field.

Ugly winning is better than losing. If Rhule gets this team to a bowl it goes to show how bad previous coaching was.  Each week we get a little closer to ugly winning the west and I'm all about it!

• Plus1 7
22 hours ago, soup said:

Jeff sims was in for four plays and one was a near catastrophe for snapping the ball into the motion guy (I mean really??). And another other was a catastrophe 

he will never see the field again this year. (I hope)

I've been one of the people thinking Sims should get another shot. HH has been really bad. He'd have as many or more turnovers if the staff didn't put the training wheels on the offense for him. And those fumbles were unacceptable....

But you're right.

Sims got another chance and he peed down his leg. And almost hitting the motion guy with the snap again?!?!? Wtf.

HH QB play is occasionally OK, mostly pretty bad, sometimes downright awful but he's winning. Ride him the rest of the year. 

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think I learned the light has come on for Tommie Hill.  He has 3 INTs in 2 games.  I also learned Purdues TE was one of our best players. 

Hill must be an athletic freak bc he has been given chances and multiple schools w multiple staffs. The patience shown him by Rhule and Co is something that looked foolish to me and it is paying off.

Cudos to the staff for whatever they are doing to get the most out of Hill.

• Plus1 1

22 hours ago, 307husker said:

I’m not so sure Satt is bad.

I wouldn't say he's a bad OC. Nebraska is putting up bad numbers this year but turnovers and injuries are playing a massive role in that.

To use an analogy, we paid Ferrari money for a Toyota Corolla. That Corolla will be adequate in the day to day, but it's going to get lapped on the track.

We paid a lot of money to the head coach and put a lot of resources into the program and so I'm of the opinion it's perfectly justifiable to pay top money to the coordinator positions. I'd frankly be upset if we did all of that and then tried to cheapen out on coordinators. However, if you pay a guy top money he has to show he's at least capable of something relative to that in performance. Satterfield will never justify this salary. I doesn't mean I think he's a bad OC, but it does mean I think he was a bad hire.

6 hours ago, Enhance said:

I love the passion :lol: but I think your rose-tinted glasses are working a little too well today.

Purdue defenders were doing what they should've been doing. On Haarberg's first fumble, as a defender, if you get an offensive player stuffed up and he's still standing, you rip at that ball like your life depends upon it. Doesn't matter if he's "close" to being down. You play until the whistle blows with zero exceptions because sometimes you're going to get one that goes your way. And as the game goes on and a team gets more desperate, you'll start to see more aggression to strip the ball. NU's players would do the same thing, and have in the past.

There were a lot of things Purdue players did yesterday that I thought were unsportsmanlike, but this wasn't really one of them.

Sure seemed like that one guy was adept at pulling guys on top of him then reaching around to grab his stuff. That’s assault brotha! Harby was probably shocked. Had that been me I would’ve dropped the ball too. He gets a pass on that fumble!

The ability to plug holes with the next man up speaks volumes to this coaching staff’s ability to develop & coach up EVERYBODY. I also like how one week it’s Malachi Coleman & the next it’s Jaylen Lloyd. 

Pretty amazed that the “patchwork” OL played as well as it did. Rhule is hitting the right notes in instilling confidence in players (like Alvano & Emmett Johnson).

The FG block was an exercise in film study, long before the game began. Great job Coach Foley & great execution by your student athletes.

This was a masterful job of coaching & game planning. To win as convincingly as they did with the number of miscues? It’s a dream season (that started 0-2). 

• Oh Yeah! 3