What did we learn? Mich St version

Red Five

Maybe the loss is an opportunity for the coaches to teach the kids a lesson about respecting their opponent.

Seemed like the defense lacked some discipline, like the first half of the NW game. They bought into themselves too much after the Purdue game. 

Zero halftime adjustments offensively. It’s easy to simply state how the play calling was questionable, but the players’ skillset and Satterfield’s philosophy are not connecting. Admittedly, they are down to what is essentially 2nd team players, but it lacks commitment to any identity and heavily relies on imperfect skill players executing perfectly. 

Satterfield is coaching himself into G5 or QB Coach, unless he’s given cash to go buy a transfer QB in the offseason.

Pet peeve, I’d gamble on the punt going into the end zone vs fair catch at the 5-6 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Next years QB is not on the roster. That is painfully obvious.  Sims, the initial starter has 4x's the amount of TO's as his number of starts (2) in only 2 games.  He was replaced with the pre-season 3rd string whose 1st playing time was as a TE.  Purdy, allegedly injured, was #2 and is now healthy.  Rhule said he can win with any of the 3.  HH, IMHO, is not the guy who took over the reigns in game 3.  Doesn't run as physically as previously, passes appear to be worse, vision is what I'd expected from a guy with a concussion.....

So the choice is tough for Rhule.  Truly evaluate what is important?  Trust with the team?  Bowling?  Accountability?  Grant has been benched 2-3 times for fumbles so what message is really being sent?  Receivers with multiple drops?  What message is being sent?  Building a culture in lieu of wins?  I'd guess guys would trade "that" for a bowl.  I figure most coaches would in an effort to a) go bowling for the extra practices and b) show the plan is working.  

Like most, watching a lot of football and we are still way behind in the dude department on offense.  

Just now, brophog said:

What they need is a Quarterback.

And OL.

Just now, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

Haarberg has no business starting another game this year. The terrible throws. The no vision running or passing. He can’t make one guy miss running the ball. Small corner. Let’s run right at him. Sims has turned the ball over a ton. So has HH. At least Sims give us 4-5 on the ground. No idea if we win with Sims but HH just lost to a team that is worse than MN and CO and it falls on him. I never thought HH was good but hard for Rhule to make a change going 5-1 despite our QB play. He isn’t good at anything. I’ll take Rex Burkhead at QB over this!! 

He has to start every game he's healthy. We literally don't have anyone else. Purdy is third behind two turnover machines. If he had remotely any ability at all he'd be in there as a game manager.

Sims got a chance again last game and looked completely lost and directly contributed to a Purdue touchdown.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

We all wanted to think this is a new team.

But Nebraska is still the same Nebraska we’ve seen for 10 years

A bit harsh- our offense is completely out of whack due to injuries and we didn’t have much top talent to begin with.  Case in point, our best wide out seems to be a walk on who gets credit for running great routes but has stone for hands. 

our defense doesn’t have a playmaker to wreck a game single handily but overall another solid performance.

if you really think this squad is the same of the past 8-10 years you’re not looking hard enough  

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We had the game-winning play dialed up and Haarberg missed the WR by 10 yards and it was intercepted. It's not the OC's fault.

I am torn on this, I see that Satt can scheme guys open and he has in previous games.  But after seeing the limitations in the offense with HH and seeing him miss similar throws and reads 3+ quarters the staff had to do something.  Seems like we are just slamming our head against the wall for 4 quarters praying that the damn qb will finally make a play and save the game for us. 

2 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Maybe the loss is an opportunity for the coaches to teach the kids a lesson about respecting their opponent.

Seemed like the defense lacked some discipline, like the first half of the NW game. They bought into themselves too much after the Purdue game. 

Zero halftime adjustments offensively. It’s easy to simply state how the play calling was questionable, but the players’ skillset and Satterfield’s philosophy are not connecting. Admittedly, they are down to what is essentially 2nd team players, but it lacks commitment to any identity and heavily relies on imperfect skill players executing perfectly. 

Satterfield is coaching himself into G5 or QB Coach, unless he’s given cash to go buy a transfer QB in the offseason.

Pet peeve, I’d gamble on the punt going into the end zone vs fair catch at the 5-6 

With the largest asst cash pile in NU history we should never have gotten Satt.  Swing and a miss.  

9 out of 10 times those punts get into the end zone. I'd risk that every time in an attempt to start at the 25 even if it got downed on the 1 instead of me fair catching at the 5....Stupid.  Same BS ST crap.  And to have a guy back there MSU knew wasn't returning one was stupid.  

36 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

This consequences of this loss are very detrimental to our progress. This loss
(1) Took away any chances (if any) to win our division. Killed any glimmer of hope.

(2) Severely decreased our chances to make a bowl.

(3) Killed the momentum and confidence the team built over the past three weeks

(4) Gave our remaining opponents a manual on how to render our defense and offense ineffective.

our next three opponents will tear us apart unless this team finds a way to play with intensity and purpose. We did not come to today’s game with a winning mindset. We came thinking we had the game sealed. 

nothing from today changed number 4. Michigan and Colorado already showed how you pick the defense apart. They’re a greatly improved unit but we need some DAWGS across the defense, ideally on the line and linebacker that can wreck a game single handily.  Hopefully the young guys, who have played great, continue to improve and reach that status.  At some point, any defense is gonna have slips when the offense does absolutely nothing.

a high school coach would have no problem rendering our offense ineffective. We don’t have a speed advantage, we don’t have a strength advantage, we lost all our WRs and RBs and our qb situation is the worst since Mike Riley era 

Despite all of this, this team and progrum is heading in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

I am torn on this, I see that Satt can scheme guys open and he has in previous games.  But after seeing the limitations in the offense with HH and seeing him miss similar throws and reads 3+ quarters the staff had to do something.  Seems like we are just slamming our head against the wall for 4 quarters praying that the damn qb will finally make a play and save the game for us. 

A coach needs to know what his guys can do.  So either our pass D is so inept in practice that HH makes those throws on the regular or Satt "wants" to have that passing attack.  Figure out WTH HH can do and that's all you call.  Period.  I'm sick of the scheme being "sh!t in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first".  We have been sh!ting in the hand for too long.  

• TBH 1

11 minutes ago, lo country said:

A coach needs to know what his guys can do.  So either our pass D is so inept in practice that HH makes those throws on the regular or Satt "wants" to have that passing attack.  Figure out WTH HH can do and that's all you call.  Period.  I'm sick of the scheme being "sh!t in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first".  We have been sh!ting in the hand for too long.  

I think it’s just a talent issue. Satt is incredibly limited on what he can call.  He still needs to call plays to show the threat of something- we don’t have the line backs or qb to simply run it every down. 

our best receiver is a tight end coming off 2 horrible injuries. 

our qb consistently misses open reads completely, is erratic with accuracy across all levels and while fast, he isn’t quick footed or shifty; something id argue is more valuable for a college qb that pure straight speed. 

the one thing I’ll criticize satt for is the whiff on sims. That has had such a negative cascading chain of events  

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I think it’s just a talent issue. Satt is incredibly limited on what he can call.  He still needs to call plays to show the threat of something- we don’t have the line backs or qb to simply run it every down. 

our best receiver is a tight end coming off 2 horrible injuries. 

our qb consistently misses open reads completely, is erratic with accuracy across all levels and while fast, he isn’t quick footed or shifty; something id argue is more valuable for a college qb that pure straight speed. 

the one thing I’ll criticize satt for is the whiff on sims. That has had such a negative cascading chain of events  

That's the whole thing.  There is no position group on the O side that is doing well.  That includes the OC, OL Coach, TE coach, WR coach, RB coach.  It's all been subpar.  Depending on personal opinion that's where the problem is, but we have just had one kick in the nutz after the other this season on the O side.  No real quick easy fix imho.  

So opinion gives a pass to RB (as an example) as the OL stinks.  WR's get a pass as QB stinks and WR McGuire a pass as his room is completely injured....Just so much to fix.  Extra bowl practices would be HUGE.  Rising seniors have missed at least 48 additional practices since they have been here. That's about 2 seasons worth.....Can't dismiss these extra practices....