What did we learn? Mich St version

Red Five

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I’ve learned that fans still think the “rule” for punt returners to never field a punt inside the 10. This changed about 5-10 years ago when punters became too good at turning the nose over and not having the punt bounce into the end zone.

With Kemp not being any threat to run at all, I think he probably could have let some of those try to bounce in the end zone, but catching a punt at the 7 or 8 is pretty typical now. 

So fair catching at the 5 and 7 is now "safe"?  I think I would chance it because either way you're QB is in the end zone if he has to throw.  Going with common sense here because the ball will bounce into the end zone, to either side or gain us yards, a chance I would take 100/100 times.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Disagree, with nearly your entire post.

The line did enough for us to win today. When the QB behind them can't consistently complete passes to wide open receivers or can't sense where they are in the pocket, the line is doomed. I don't exactly know what the fans calling for Raiola's job are expecting, but most teams need years of schematic continuity and player development to be among the best. If you can't see progress this year over last, I don't know what to tell you. The development of Justin Evans-Jenkins appears to be a solid example of Raiola's work which is encouraging. 

Entering today we were 25th in the country in rushing yards per game and 21st in rushing yards per attempt. 

Defense should receive criticism when warranted. They were slightly above average today, far from excellent. Our inability to get turnovers is the next big hurdle for the team needs to overcome to move towards that elite status.

We have been decent running the ball.  Although our rushings stats are padded by long runs by the QBs.

Our pass blocking has been pretty bad.  It was horrid today.

• Plus1 1
Just now, HuskerInLostWages said:

So fair catching at the 5 and 7 is now "safe"?  I think I would chance it because either way you're QB is in the end zone if he has to throw.  Going with common sense here because the ball will bounce into the end zone, to either side or gain us yards, a chance I would take 100/100 times.

I’m just saying it’s done a lot more common than you think. Fair catches at the 7 are very common. Heck, Washington did one tonight at the USC.

I do agree with @Mavric in that a couple of the punts fielded by Kemp weren’t the high, hanging, nose down-style.  However, the thought that fair catches inside the 10 aren’t done elsewhere is not correct. What was the 10, is now the 5. 

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I’m just saying it’s done a lot more common than you think. Fair catches at the 7 are very common. Heck, Washington did one tonight at the USC.

I do agree with @Mavric in that a couple of the punts fielded by Kemp weren’t the high, hanging, nose down-style.  However, the thought that fair catches inside the 10 aren’t done elsewhere is not correct. What was the 10, is now the 5. 

I would have told him to get the hell away from damn near all kicks today, but apparently we have no one we can trust to field a kick and make a run, the 1 we finally did attempt to return ran for a yard then ran back to that yard.  2 facets today completely failed, offense and ST and they didn't only fail they looked lost.

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We have been decent running the ball.  Although our rushings stats are padded by long runs by the QBs.

Our pass blocking has been pretty bad.  It was horrid today.

I can agree with those points. 

I just don't know what the "fire Raiola" crowd is expecting from largely the same players we've had for 3+ years and a bunch of unproven underclassmen? The impression I get is that the expectation is that all of a sudden the next coach will turn us into the 80-90s offensive line groups, stocked full of all-conference linemen. I think continuity with staff and scheme are very important to building any kind of sustained success.

5 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I can agree with those points. 

I just don't know what the "fire Raiola" crowd is expecting from largely the same players we've had for 3+ years and a bunch of unproven underclassmen? The impression I get is that the expectation is that all of a sudden the next coach will turn us into the 80-90s offensive line groups, stocked full of all-conference linemen. I think continuity with staff and scheme are very important to building any kind of sustained success.

When Raiola was hired I didn't expect much development on the offensive line since he has never proved he could develop linemen.  I just expected it to be a long shot gimmick to get his nephew.  And hey what do you know, not much development on the offensive line the last couple years, and no nephew.

It's not so much that he's not meeting impossibly high expectations.   The problem is we're getting precisely what we should have expected. 

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I think this is a bad take.

This was not like the last so many years. This was straight up the result of having absolutely no offense. No QB. No OL. WR corps decimated by injuries.

The result may look the same on the scoreboard but this was the result of just plain not being good enough on one side of the ball. Different imo than finding and creating a way to lose.

I actually think our OL played decent- our QB has no idea what to do if his first receiver is not open, in most cases he had plenty of time to throw- 75% of all the sacks he takes is on him- if there is even one person within 6 feet of him he seems to run right into that guy- straight line running no problem- pocket presence terrible

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Disagree, with nearly your entire post.

The line did enough for us to win today. When the QB behind them can't consistently complete passes to wide open receivers or can't sense where they are in the pocket, the line is doomed. I don't exactly know what the fans calling for Raiola's job are expecting, but most teams need years of schematic continuity and player development to be among the best. If you can't see progress this year over last, I don't know what to tell you. The development of Justin Evans-Jenkins appears to be a solid example of Raiola's work which is encouraging. 

Entering today we were 25th in the country in rushing yards per game and 21st in rushing yards per attempt. 

Defense should receive criticism when warranted. They were slightly above average today, far from excellent. Our inability to get turnovers is the next big hurdle for the team needs to overcome to move towards that elite status.

That “Next Big Hurdle” is 50 yards down the track.  They have been winning games for the team.  They didn’t do that yesterday.  I don’t know that I consider that “far from excellent”.

They have a phrase for an offense that can’t score 20+ points.  I think it’s “Brian Ferentzing”.  You have to score to have more points than the other team to win.  Allegedly.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Here's what I learned:  

Raiola needs to go but the other coaches are getting too much criticism.  Guys were wide open but HH missed them. We can't run the ball because our oline is horrible. Defenses will adjust if we always roll out and HH can't throw on the run anyways.  Plus do you actually expect our oline to magically be able to block well on rollouts when they can't block their assignments as is?

Defense played okay. We're playing well above our talent level, that's great coaching. They made stops when they needed to but offense didn't capitalize.  Defense still shouldn't be getting any criticism. 

I know inculcating the OL's blocking ability is popular, but really at this point with a QB that holds the ball and acts like a Keystone Cop in the pocket, and the defense daring that QB to beat us with his short-stop arm and lamentable progressions, asking 5 guys to open up holes for running against 7-9 players, seems a bit much- not saying they're 1995 type guys but, they aren't that bad considering all the other poo-poo on the O side

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1