****Maryland Game Day Thread****

43 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

The gamble and subsequent loss on taking Simms in the Portal hurts big time, but the offense as a whole was pretty void of experienced playmakers, plus the injuries....

All things considered, I just don't think firing a coordinator (as many are angrily drunk posting) is the way to go.  

Everything you said in the first paragraph is right. A solid OC, however, calls a game to what he has. We clearly do not have a solid OC, not even close 

I haven’t had a single drink and I want him gone. We’re seeing the same baffling calls in the redzone we saw in week 1.  We rarely see I, strong or weak running formations and instead see constant read option/delay option plays with QBs that have clearly shown below average IQ, decision making and ball security.

there is not a single thing about this offense that resembles what was sold to us in the off-season and they somehow look more inept each week. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

The gamble and subsequent loss on taking Simms in the Portal hurts big time, but the offense as a whole was pretty void of experienced playmakers, plus the injuries....

All things considered, I just don't think firing a coordinator (as many are angrily drunk posting) is the way to go.  

Oh it wouldn't just be Sat TBH.....Couple of head scratching hires.  

2 hours ago, chamrocck said:

My theory is our offense is complete s#!t so yes when all you can do is run the QB and hand off because any other play is a complete disaster you might pick up some yards. You think anyone is scared of our vaunted rushing attack and great OL? 

Michigan tested us and we found out quick that our #1 rushing offense is a sham.  Nobody seems to remember this.

• TBH 2

2 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Everything you said in the first paragraph is right. A solid OC, however, calls a game to what he has. We clearly do not have a solid OC, not even close 

I haven’t had a single drink and I want him gone. We’re seeing the same baffling calls in the redzone we saw in week 1.  We rarely see I, strong or weak running formations and instead see constant read option/delay option plays with QBs that have clearly shown below average IQ, decision making and ball security.

there is not a single thing about this offense that resembles what was sold to us in the off-season and they somehow look more inept each week. 

I'll add on to this. One game, forget which one it looks like Rhule got onto Satt for some sh!t call.  IMHO, there is a disconnect between Rhule and Satt.  Satt wants to be this creative genius and show how smart he is.  Rhule was 3 yards and a cloud of dust.  

The two back sets, I formation, use of a FB appear to just be words to satify a fan base.  Yes we "use" them, but not in a way to actually generate offense.  Do counters.  No traps.  Little FB in red zone or short yardage.  No shuttle pass.  Nothing.  Our option game is a joke.  Doesn't know when to pitch to suck the D in.  A complete rebuild on O next year.  Other than EJ, not a lot of bright spots.  Need more dogs at skill positions.  Not enough to just talk about it.  Dudes need to be about it...

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I'll add on to this. One game, forget which one it looks like Rhule got onto Satt for some sh!t call.  IMHO, there is a disconnect between Rhule and Satt.  Satt wants to be this creative genius and show how smart he is.  Rhule was 3 yards and a cloud of dust.  

The two back sets, I formation, use of a FB appear to just be words to satify a fan base.  Yes we "use" them, but not in a way to actually generate offense.  Do counters.  No traps.  Little FB in red zone or short yardage.  No shuttle pass.  Nothing.  Our option game is a joke.  Doesn't know when to pitch to suck the D in.  A complete rebuild on O next year.  Other than EJ, not a lot of bright spots.  Need more dogs at skill positions.  Not enough to just talk about it.  Dudes need to be about it...

Isn’t it pretty telling that our 2 biggest plays this year was an option pass recommendation relayed from Osborne to Rhule? 

if anything, what they were advertising in the off-season is even more critical now with the injuries. I get we’re down RBs, but a FB or a TE in motion and some counters would work wonders to open up some holes for the run game and put the defense on the heels. Instead, we rarely have a lead blocker and defenses can just key in on either a read option to a rb that is slow developing or key in on a qb who is fast when he gets going but isn’t shifty or quick on the feet.

I won’t even bother diving into the whole qb designed runs with sims who averages 3 fumbles a game 

3 hours ago, TherealTomOsborne said:

Michigan tested us and we found out quick that our #1 rushing offense is a sham.  Nobody seems to remember this.

It was our #1 defense, not offense 

17 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Isn’t it pretty telling that our 2 biggest plays this year was an option pass recommendation relayed from Osborne to Rhule? T I get we’re down RBs, but a FB or a TE in motion and some counters would work wonders to open up some holes for the run game and put the defense on the heels. Instead, we rarely have a lead blocker and defenses can just key in on either a read option to a rb that is slow developing or key in on a qb who is fast when he gets going but isn’t shifty or quick on the feet.

I won’t even bother diving into the whole qb designed runs with sims who averages 3 fumbles a game 

It was our #1 defense, not offense 

That's where I am at as well. Embrace physicality.  Win games in the 4th quarter.  Land body blows etc....Passing in the red zone with a 3rd string QB who hasn't probably thrown against anyone in months that was a starter or in the 2 deep isn't landing body blows.  Not using a FB to blow up a CB on an option or toss isn't a body blow.  And D's are simply pinning their ears back and blasting in.  A counter or reverse would work. Until they stop it.  But to stop it, they slow pursuit, have backers play a little further off, opens up lanes for running.  Or maybe rolling out the QB to hit receivers with single coverage.  I have seen very little of this from Satt.  Again, what he wants and what Rhule wants appear to be different.

People can argue all day that "what Satt is dialing up" would work with a better QB better, receiver play, or OL.  We don't have those.  A good OC finds way to address this.  Counter an aggressive D.  Finds plays that his guys can make.  I'm sick and tired ot too many NU OC's running plays for guys they want not the ones they have.  And I have seen that Chubba audibled out of that play into a pass....Or it was an RPO....Or that receivers ran the wrong route.  Guess what.  Satt calls a run, none of that crap comes up.  Takes it all out of Chubba's hands.  Send the play in run or you're done.  That's still on Satt.  With your 3rd string QB, who for all intents and purposes has not gone up against an actual D until 4 minutes left in todays game.  Not thinking he was going against our starters o 2 deep at all.  (I could be wrong, maybe scout team QB).  But no way does a competent OC put the game on a qb in that situation..