What did we learn? Wiscy Edition

Hammerhead

55 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

5-7 is not an improvement over Frost teams.  We knew the Big 10 West would be weaker than the East, but not as awful as it ended up being.  Our schedule ended up being way easier than expected.

Meanwhile in Scottsdale Arizona an unshaven, drunk, fallen Nebraska icon stumbles from a local drinking establishment is heard slurring “I could have done better”

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

Couple of quick questions.

1) @Mavric Had posted James "Sackman" Williams would not play last night to preserve his RS.  Selfishly, I really wanted  him to play.  Thoughts from the board, would he have made a difference?  I think he could have helped on those third downs to have gotten pressure on Mordecai.  4 tackles and 2 sacks in 3 games.

Yes

2) Any word on Sanford or other injuries?  Sanford has turned into a great asset.  Wish he had another year.

Sadly another player wasted by the former regime.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Thinking back on the way yesterday’s game unfolded, this analogy keeps popping up in my mind. Bear with me here:

You go out to a local bar to have a drink and catch up with some friends not expecting to score but when you get to the bar, you get lucky and end up picking up a hot girl who invites you over to her place. Upon arrival, she asks you to make yourself comfortable while she slips into something comfortable herself. You are now counting your blessings and can’t wait where this will lead and all the good times that lie ahead. She comes out wearing the hottest lingerie you ever seen and now your brain is bombarded with excitement and hope of what’s to come but as you are about to score, she realizes she is making a big mistake and kicks you of her place. You find yourself alone in your apartment taking a cold shower and thinking what an idiot you were for hoping. 

Does that capture yesterday’s game or not?

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

The last drive of regulation was an absolute disaster.

Took over on our 20 with 3:27 left and all three timeouts

Got a defensive holding flag on the first play; moves us to the 30

Four yard completion to Fidone

Johnson 18 yard run.  So far so good.

But then we wasted 30 seconds before we snapped it again.  Ran the ball again and lost two yards.  Yuck.

Wasted another 34 seconds before we snapped it again.  Clock goes under 2:00.

Purdy bails us out with a scramble and gets out of bounds.  1:35 to play on Wisconsin's 26.  Wisconsin calls timeout.

Johnson runs for 7 yards.

Then we waste another 37 seconds before we snap it again.  THREE TIMES IT TOOK US OVER 30 SECONDS TO SNAP THE BALL IN OUR HURRY-UP OFFENSE.  THIS LAST ONE AFTER A TIMEOUT!  HOW DO WE NOT HAVE TWO PLAYS FIGURED OUT DURING THE TIMEOUT!?!?!?!?!?

Then we just give up and play for the field goal.

We should have had at least another minute to work with - over two minutes total - from Wisconsin's 20 yard line.  But we pissed it away because we didn't get plays in fast enough.  AND WE DIDN'T USE ANY OF OUR TIMEOUTS UNTIL AFTER WE HAD GIVEN UP AND DECIDED TO PLAY FOR THE FIELD GOAL.

The last drive of reg was a disaster?  Really??

I know we both know football and clock management very well.  And with a normal cohesive offense we would have done it differently.  But I have to disagree with you on this and say that clock management was probably used the best in this situation.  

You have to look at your personnel on the field (3rd string QB starting his first game on the road, at night in Wisconsin, game on the line), your situation (you started around your own 20 yard line and you have to get a FG or the game is over) and your history of bad things happening in the red zone throughout the year.  

Look back at what's happened this year.  Within the redzone, multiple Husker QB's have thrown interceptions in the endzone and cost us games.  HH threw a pick against MSU that was called back a few weeks ago.  Or how about a bad snap?  We've seen plenty of those this year.  How about a bad exchange in the RZ that we saw between HH and EJ? We fumbled.  And we even tried running out the clock with the lead (run the damn ball!) and Grant fumbled against Minnesota.  We have had plenty of past failures and turnovers for whatever reasons with different QB's and RBs throughout the year, that running the clock down in this case wasn't the worse thing in the world.  

And, after being stuffed on drives all throughout the second half, we get the ball with our 4-minute drill using sparing reps from Chubba, and impressively move the ball 60 yards with the game on the line.  That was amazing.  But at the same time, you don't want to be too aggressive and shoot yourself in the foot with a fumble or interception.  We needed to be in range for a FG and by golly, we got there.  

While I agree with your POV of using the clock more efficiently and getting in a few more plays, I also didn't trust a running play or passing play because of this team, this year, their history and in this situation. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Rhule did go out and get Sims as his starting QB.  That is who he wanted to lead this team. 

Rhule wanted Caleb Williams I'm sure. He chose who he could get after being out of the CFB game for 3 years. Portal QBs are being recruited at the beginning of the season. The likelihood of finding a good one with no ties coming in as late as Rhule did are basically nil. 

Frost had already recruited Martinez so he had a leg up and Martinez was shaky on Tennessee. 

• Fire 2
  • TBH 2

1 hour ago, admo said:

I know we both know football and clock management very well.  And with a normal cohesive offense we would have done it differently.  But I have to disagree with you on this and say that clock management was probably used the best in this situation.  

You have to look at your personnel on the field (3rd string QB starting his first game on the road, at night in Wisconsin, game on the line), your situation (you started around your own 20 yard line and you have to get a FG or the game is over) and your history of bad things happening in the red zone throughout the year.  

Look back at what's happened this year.  Within the redzone, multiple Husker QB's have thrown interceptions in the endzone and cost us games.  HH threw a pick against MSU that was called back a few weeks ago.  Or how about a bad snap?  We've seen plenty of those this year.  How about a bad exchange in the RZ that we saw between HH and EJ? We fumbled.  And we even tried running out the clock with the lead (run the damn ball!) and Grant fumbled against Minnesota.  We have had plenty of past failures and turnovers for whatever reasons with different QB's and RBs throughout the year, that running the clock down in this case wasn't the worse thing in the world.  

And, after being stuffed on drives all throughout the second half, we get the ball with our 4-minute drill using sparing reps from Chubba, and impressively move the ball 60 yards with the game on the line.  That was amazing.  But at the same time, you don't want to be too aggressive and shoot yourself in the foot with a fumble or interception.  We needed to be in range for a FG and by golly, we got there.  

While I agree with your POV of using the clock more efficiently and getting in a few more plays, I also didn't trust a running play or passing play because of this team, this year, their history and in this situation. 

Yep.  The best coaches make all decisions out of fear.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yep.  The best coaches make all decisions out of fear.

Hey now, no need for a low blow.  

I took the time to put out some clear reasons, with cause and concern, by using some past failures that lost some games as a possible conclusion for letting the clock run down on that last drive.  Seemed plausible to me.

There really is no reason to twist my thoughts upside down to manipulate my rationale into an ambiguous punch line.  

If that's how you really feel about it, go on with your bad self.  But just remember, you are not the one answering questions at the podium on behalf of the team when something doesn't work.  If they ran the clock as exactly as you hoped they would, gave one more handoff and fumbled the exchange or whatever, I'm sure you probably have a quip for answering that too.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
11 hours ago, admo said:

I have to disagree with you here for a couple reasons.   

1) in general, you play for the win on road and the tie at home…in general.

2) In my view, after the previous losses, this team was no longer in contention for a West championship so there is nothing to lose.  Go out and win a ballgame.  
3) Ball at the 20 yrd line with just over a minute left and three timeouts is an eternity in football terms.  The entire playbook is available to go get a win.  Much different than playing conservative and letting time win down to kick the “winning” field goal last week.  
4) The reason you keep timeouts is to have them for these types of situations at the end of game. 
5) the field goal kicker already missed a 42 yarder that game by a big margin

6) Purdy had been making good decisions all game.  Let’s see if he can win a ballgame.   
7). I’ll say it again. This week is totally different than last week.  Wasting lots of time for a  field goal for a tie on the road is much different than wasting time for a field goal for the win at home.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1