Iowa Game What did we learn?

TGHusker

It is sad when you realize that over the span of two decades we went from kings of the big 12 to doormats of the big ten. This happens when we learn to settle for mediocre and give piss poor performance excuses. It is the QB, no it is the refs, no it is the injuries, no it is the coaches first year here, no it is that previous coach left cupboard empty, no it is the OC, no it is the special teams, no it is recruiting, no it’s adidas. No matter what, it is always something we can point at to excuse the fact that we have become a get rich scheme for incompetent coaches who give nice speeches but never do anything to fix the issues. For a decade now, we have had the worst special teams play, worst penalty record, worst turnover record, yet every coach we hired have not been able to fix these glaring issues. Instead, we give excuses, wait for another year full of hope, only to be back here again watching so many other teams with worst talent than us get bowl eligible and we end our season listening to more BS of how next year things will be better. If that is not a football equivalent of a hell loop, I don’t know what is. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Nebraska QBs are the only ones that throw INTs in the last minute trying to drive for the winning score.

I have to believe the stats probably would have had us at a 99.9% probability to beat or go to overtime against Iowa before Chubba's pick.

I believe we were something like over 85% likely to make a bowl game before the MSU game.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

On3 rated Sims the 16th best QB in the transfer portal last year. QBs they had rated higher include two guys we faced this year:  Tanner Mordecai (SMU -> Wisconsin) and Hudson Card (Texas -> Purdue).

They also say (although I don't know how true this might be) that Sims had an NIL value of $135,000.  Casey Thompson, rated the 23rd best QB in the portal by On3, had an NIL value of $141,000. Kinda interesting.

I think it's safe to say Sims wasn't the best QB available, but I have no idea what interest any of the QBs rated above him had in coming to Nebraska.

In hindsight it's clear Sims was a massive bust. But Scott Frost was widely believed to be the home-run hire of his cycle when we got him, and we all know how that turned out.

Predictions are a tough business.

Yeah. I thought Card was going to do pretty well for Purdue, and even though we beat him/them and he didn't look amazing in that game I definitely would have rather had him over Sims. He can kind of run but is a pass-first guy and at least hits receivers when they're open.

The staff obviously was married to the idea of running option & zone read a fair bit and that's why we got Sims. Really funny to think about what was paid for him in NIL just to have him tank games.

When I watched what was supposedly his "highlight reels" on YouTube back in March I was like "this guy can't really throw the ball." He wound up even screwing up snaps and turning the wrong way (multiple times) on running back hand-offs.

1 hour ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

I have to believe the stats probably would have had us at a 99.9% probability to beat or go to overtime against Iowa before Chubba's pick.

I believe we were something like over 85% likely to make a bowl game before the MSU game.

Looks like the highest probability we hit all game according to ESPN was 58% directly after the Hill pick. Probably would have been high 80s if the holding was not called. 

15 minutes ago, Undone said:

The staff obviously was married to the idea of running option & zone read a fair bit and that's why we got Sims. Really funny to think about what was paid for him in NIL just to have him tank games.

When I watched what was supposedly his "highlight reels" on YouTube back in March I was like "this guy can't really throw the ball." He wound up even screwing up snaps and turning the wrong way (multiple times) on running back hand-offs.

I have a feeling Tony White either zipped his mouth or had an “I told you so” moment with Rhule and Satt.

31 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Good thought, do we know whether the 1s scrimmaged much after fall camp?

No idea tbh.  I know Rhule talked about the physicality, but unsure if that was 1's v 1's.  Hard to imagine they didn't have the same issues at practice. Even our #2 D got a lot of  live game reps.  Maybe they just went against the scout D?  If not, I can imagine Rhule and Co wondering why they practice well with no TO's and then give the ball away 6-10 plays in games....

1 minute ago, lo country said:

No idea tbh.  I know Rhule talked about the physicality, but unsure if that was 1's v 1's.  Hard to imagine they didn't have the same issues at practice. Even our #2 D got a lot of  live game reps.  Maybe they just went against the scout D?  If not, I can imagine Rhule and Co wondering why they practice well with no TO's and then give the ball away 6-10 plays in games....

Right. I don’t know whether they do or not either, but I hope they do at least once a week for a bit. Need to stay sharp

• TBH 1