Will Howard

1 minute ago, HANC said:

Furthermore, most of these guys are looking for a payday rather than playing for titles. Most are not going to be high level NFL QBs ( Brock Purdys) don’t come around often. These kids know that if they make a team, their contract isn’t going to be top notch, so wisely, if they can get 1.5 mil in college, let’s do it.

Absolutely.  

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Undone said:

This is some really good analysis right here. And it isn't just accuracy or play calling in general that affects the bolded part. I think it's also:

1. Some kind of drive by our staff (past and present) to run the QB quite a bit.

2. This season we ran the play clock down on almost every single play, resulting in fewer offensive plays, period.

People will argue that item #1 starts to go away if the other elements are clicking. But this goes to the last thing you said about "establishing a proof of concept." This is kind of rhetorical here, but what is the proof of concept?

I think we're all really wondering that heading into year 2.

Exactly.  I won't pretend I'm certain what it is, but it's the vision they are selling to recruits, and  at some point sooner rather than later what they are producing has to resemble what they are selling.

• Plus1 1
On 12/4/2023 at 6:03 PM, Archy1221 said:

He doesn’t realize Will Howard had as good or better stats than Cam Ward if you normalize for pass attempts :dunno

I've seen videos of their styles and if we get Big Will to sign with us I'll be fine with that. I don't think Ward is interested in us, but I'd prefer McCord because of his patience, field vision, and overall passing ability. I don't want a running QB who might get injured in game 3...we have RBs for running.

Edit: I also believe getting a great passer like McCord will make it easy to bring in top receivers.

• TBH 2
6 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I've seen videos of their styles and if we get Big Will to sign with us I'll be fine with that. I don't think Ward is interested in us, but I'd prefer McCord because of his patience, field vision, and overall passing ability. I don't want a running QB who might get injured in game 3...we have RBs for running.

Edit: I also believe getting a great passer like McCord will make it easy to bring in top receivers.

I'm tired of watching back ups that clearly aren't ready once the qb gets hurt.  I really hope that Nebraska can get McCord bc I think his poise in the pocket and the tight windows he throws into are beneficial. Some husker fans probably do prefer a qb that is a dual-threat but rn and we are at we can't afford for a running qb to get hurt.  Look at the last 7 years.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Could be wrong but Thompson was hurt bc he couldn’t run well, and got pummeled in the pocket game after game. McCord has -77 yds rushing. I don’t want a duel threat, but someone with a little escapability, especially behind a suspect line that is still trying to get better. I also like the idea of having a guy whom you can occasionally call a qb draw with or that can boot or roll out of pocket to put the defense in conflict situations.

• TBH 1

40 minutes ago, HANC said:

Could be wrong but Thompson was hurt bc he couldn’t run well, and got pummeled in the pocket game after game. McCord has -77 yds rushing. I don’t want a duel threat, but someone with a little escapability, especially behind a suspect line that is still trying to get better. I also like the idea of having a guy whom you can occasionally call a qb draw with or that can boot or roll out of pocket to put the defense in conflict situations.

I’m willing to take that as long as I don’t have to see HH throw anymore. Or Jeff Sims play another down in a husker uniform. Or watch Purdy try and close out a game. 

1 hour ago, HANC said:

Watch McCord, he’s allusive and still is able to see the field…. Unlike a bunch of our recent QBs who look for two seconds then run for their life.

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

Watch McCord, he’s allusive and still is able to see the field…. Unlike a bunch of our recent QBs who look for two seconds then run for their life.

I am not saying I don't want McCord.... but it is so much easier to stand tall in the pocket, scan the field, climb the pocket......when there IS A POCKET.  I absolutely agree that HH and Sims are not good.  They would rank near or at the bottom of any QB we have ever had.  With that said, if you go back during the recent past, and you will see more times than not, our QB can't even get out of their drop and set feet, before they are forced to take off.  I will stick to my original post... I want (and we NEED) a guy who can escape pressure and potentially turn a negative play into a positive QB run, if forced to scramble, rather than be a sitting duck, taking 5-10 yard losses with sacks.

McCord will NOT put up the numbers he has at Nebraska.  OL is sooo much worse than OSU and he will be forced to throw on the run.  Our WR can not get open like Heisman finalist and supporting cast of nfl wr. 

McCord will be a tremendous upgrade, but I am not sure you can look at his stats and think we are getting that version.

• TBH 3
24 minutes ago, HANC said:

I am not saying I don't want McCord.... but it is so much easier to stand tall in the pocket, scan the field, climb the pocket......when there IS A POCKET.  I absolutely agree that HH and Sims are not good.  They would rank near or at the bottom of any QB we have ever had.  With that said, if you go back during the recent past, and you will see more times than not, our QB can't even get out of their drop and set feet, before they are forced to take off.  I will stick to my original post... I want (and we NEED) a guy who can escape pressure and potentially turn a negative play into a positive QB run, if forced to scramble, rather than be a sitting duck, taking 5-10 yard losses with sacks.

McCord will NOT put up the numbers he has at Nebraska.  OL is sooo much worse than OSU and he will be forced to throw on the run.  Our WR can not get open like Heisman finalist and supporting cast of nfl wr. 

McCord will be a tremendous upgrade, but I am not sure you can look at his stats and think we are getting that version.

None of the guys we're going after will put up the stats they did at their last schools. But our OL got to be decent by the end of the year, and having a year of going against Big Ten defenses is a big deal. Sure OSU was much better equipped to have answers against those defenses, but he still had to make the reads and throws. 

• TBH 1

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

None of the guys we're going after will put up the stats they did at their last schools. But our OL got to be decent by the end of the year, and having a year of going against Big Ten defenses is a big deal. Sure OSU was much better equipped to have answers against those defenses, but he still had to make the reads and throws. 

Absolutely agree !  McCord would have the advantage of knowing the Big 10 and what it takes to be successful in that aspect.

50 minutes ago, HANC said:

It's like the 'what if Burrow came to Nebraska' bit. He sure as hell wouldn't have had the talent around him that he did at LSU...

• TBH 1
8 minutes ago, Toe said:

It's like the 'what if Burrow came to Nebraska' bit. He sure as hell wouldn't have had the talent around him that he did at LSU...

Exactly.  Another example, but in the opposite direction is AM.  Fans couldn't get him out of town fast enough, yet, after 5 (approx) games, at KSU, he was a in the national talk as a Heisman favorite.  We have much deeper issues than QB.  But, this year, with a "serviceable" QB, we would at least be bowling, so I am all in favor of getting someone out of the portal, but just want to temper expectations until the much bigger picture gets fixed.  I do think the OL got better and will need to continue to be the focal point of recruiting and development.

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1
29 minutes ago, HANC said:

Exactly.  Another example, but in the opposite direction is AM.  Fans couldn't get him out of town fast enough, yet, after 5 (approx) games, at KSU, he was a in the national talk as a Heisman favorite.  

You're not wrong.  Problems were bigger than QB.......

But that talk fizzled out as quickly as it started.  Injury or no injury, he was not the starter at the end of the year.

On 11/29/2023 at 11:14 AM, GSG said:

Does it really matter who we get? You guys are going to b!^@h about it no matter who it is

If you prick me, do I not bleed? If you tickle me, do I not laugh? If you poison me, do I not die? If our QB has another inexplicable turnover in a high pressure situation with the game on the line, do I not b!^@h about it on HuskerBoard?

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1