Rhule Post Season Presser

Red Five

I’m thinking the only fault in the Sims thing is the lack of a QB specific coach. Easily the most important skill specific position. But yet we have a TE coach. I feel for Sims to come in to a highly scrutinized position at a high profile school without a Shepard to guide him. So I guess that’s Rhule fault. But that’s ok-just a misstep in a rebuild season.  

51 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I’m thinking the only fault in the Sims thing is the lack of a QB specific coach. Easily the most important skill specific position. But yet we have a TE coach. I feel for Sims to come in to a highly scrutinized position at a high profile school without a Shepard to guide him. So I guess that’s Rhule fault. But that’s ok-just a misstep in a rebuild season.  

He was in his fourth year of college football. Countless schools don't have a QB specific coach. He should not have been so reckless relative to all other QB's in Division I. He shoulders plenty of blame.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Agree. But, this with Novell was his second year at FSU.  Can you image what Husker fans will be like if they happens again next year?

Time flies. LOL. Thought it was his 3rd!  Thanks.  I'd love it if we turned it around next year.  Would honestly be excited to get to a bowl and look forward to the announcements to see where we are going.  Been a while...

Just thought about this as I was typing, we are (and have been) recruiting kids that have never seen NU in a bowl game...I remember being angry when we lost 7 or 8 bowls  in a row....And TO saying the hardest thing to convince Nebraskans is that 10-1 isn't a losing season.  One day.  GBR!

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Two of the playoff teams have a dedicated QB coach.  The other two have an OC/QB coach.

There isn't a magic way to do it.  The last couple of times we had a dedicated QB coach, people insisted they were terrible.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, C-4 said:

He was in his fourth year of college football. Countless schools don't have a QB specific coach. He should not have been so reckless relative to all other QB's in Division I. He shoulders plenty of blame.

Exactly- the staff thought the same way and  here we are. Sitting at home. How in the world do you expect portal QB to coach himself. 

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Just because you have a coach doesn’t automatically make that coach good. 

Can’t this be said for any coach? 

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Two of the playoff teams have a dedicated QB coach.  The other two have an OC/QB coach.

There isn't a magic way to do it.  The last couple of times we had a dedicated QB coach, people insisted they were terrible.

I only remember the Harry Potter looking one-he developed 2AM ok. 

On 11/29/2023 at 5:51 PM, Undone said:

But nevertheless it's kind of in conflict with Rhule's statement of basically saying "Well, shucks...a good QB costs a lot of money these days!" Because if money isn't the problem, you buy the best players you can get and you develop them. It's an arms race.

Don't f*** up with another Jeff Sims, coach. And if Purdy is the guy, make him significantly better than he is right now by week 1 next season.

This is spot on.  Saban isn't a master developer of talent, he puts as much talent as he can acquire in the room, and it's survival of the fittest.  There is a highway of discarded blue chip recruits in his wake.  Ryan Day didn't bet the future of OSU on Dylan Raiola & he had him committed.  

4 hours ago, floridacorn said:

This is spot on.  Saban isn't a master developer of talent, he puts as much talent as he can acquire in the room, and it's survival of the fittest.  There is a highway of discarded blue chip recruits in his wake.  Ryan Day didn't bet the future of OSU on Dylan Raiola & he had him committed.  

Agreed.

I always say that it's dumb to pour over things coaches say in press conferences and then I myself proceed to pour over things our coaches say in press conferences.

The short version is probably like this: I thought his comments were weird. Don't insinuate that anybody on the roster currently isn't good. That said, you don't worry too much about what he says (in the presser right after the last game of the season) - you see what he's done by spring.

23 hours ago, floridacorn said:

This is spot on.  Saban isn't a master developer of talent, he puts as much talent as he can acquire in the room, and it's survival of the fittest.  There is a highway of discarded blue chip recruits in his wake.

You think back to like the year we had Ameer, Green, and Heard arrive at the same time. Ameer emerged as our top guy, but Green still went on to have a nice career elsewhere. But at Alabama, that's practically how it is all the time across the whole roster.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
On 12/3/2023 at 10:12 PM, lo country said:

Time flies. LOL. Thought it was his 3rd!  Thanks.  I'd love it if we turned it around next year.  Would honestly be excited to get to a bowl and look forward to the announcements to see where we are going.  Been a while...

Just thought about this as I was typing, we are (and have been) recruiting kids that have never seen NU in a bowl game...I remember being angry when we lost 7 or 8 bowls  in a row....And TO saying the hardest thing to convince Nebraskans is that 10-1 isn't a losing season.  One day.  GBR!

This is Norvell’s 4th season at FSU, he was hired before the 2020 season.

2020 - 3-5

2021 - 5-7

2022 - 10-3

2023 - 13-0

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, caveman99 said:

This is Norvell’s 4th season at FSU, he was hired before the 2020 season.

2020 - 3-5

2021 - 5-7

2022 - 10-3

2023 - 13-0

So legitimately 2021 was year 1 for him.  Covid was a lost year, and his year 2 was 10-3 and year 3 was 13-0.  Still a case of good coaches are on the up by year 2, and sure as hell don't take until year 4 or 5 to show progress!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, runningblind said:

So legitimately 2021 was year 1 for him.  Covid was a lost year, and his year 2 was 10-3 and year 3 was 13-0.  Still a case of good coaches are on the up by year 2, and sure as hell don't take until year 4 or 5 to show progress!

I don’t think you can say 2020 was a lost year.  It was definitely crazy, but it still included recruiting, practices, and games that everyone was trying to win.