QB Dylan Raiola to Sign with Nebraska!

87skers

39 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Lots of top rated HS QB’s bust out in college, however I truly believe Dylan is a special QB and will be program changing for NU.  

He has all the physical abilities to be great, the mental aspect to play the position and be great  by all accounts, and most importantly the mindset to get better than what he is.   

Hopefully Rhule and Company are able to stack talent around this kid and he stays healthy.  If so, it’s gonna be a fun 3-4 years.   

IF Dylan can be very successful here, where he might be able to impact the program the most is showing other top HS QBs that you can be successful at Nebraska.  We have had a major problem with that.  That would also be true if BOTH Dylan and Danny are somehow successful here (Maybe Danny stays, redshirts one year, Dylan is drafted after three and Danny starts two years).  And, then we have good QB recruiting coming up behind them.

Oh....how I can dream.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

The hardest part for these two QB's will probably be huge amount of pressure that could come if things don't go well during the first 4-5 games of the season, mainly from the fan base and the weight of expectations.

Pre spring game are there really that high of expectations outside of that building? Seems like us fans are so beaten down over the years that we're afraid of even having expectations.

From a neutral fan / national observer standpoint: Nebraska should be at the top of any sort of comeback / dark horse / breakout season....whatever you want to call it...list. There are several historically strong indicators to suggest this:

Year 2 improvement

5 losses by 3 points or in OT

Turnovers regress to the mean

Returning experience

The reason Nebraska fans may not think that way: Nebraska has been the team that bucks those sorts of trends over the years.

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, brophog said:

Pre spring game are there really that high of expectations outside of that building? Seems like us fans are so beaten down over the years that we're afraid of even having expectations.

From a neutral fan / national observer standpoint: Nebraska should be at the top of any sort of comeback / dark horse / breakout season....whatever you want to call it...list. There are several historically strong indicators to suggest this:

Year 2 improvement

Returning experience

The reason Nebraska fans may not think that way: Nebraska has been the team that bucks those sorts of trends over the years.

I have no problem having expectations of quite a bit of improvement in the program and the win column.

But, I'm also someone who isn't emotionally fragile enough to get distraught if those expectations aren't met.

1 hour ago, brophog said:

Year 2 improvement

Returning experience

I've been dare I say impressed and surprised by our fanbase seeming to more or less keep a pretty cool leveheadedness in relation to Raiola. 10-20 years ago I think everyone would be drooling with their mouths open nonstop for any nugget that he's gonna win the heisman.

1 hour ago, brophog said:

Year 2 improvement

Returning experience

I agree with your statement about being beat down over the years and afraid of having too high of expectations...not to say we cannot have them, but maybe a little more cautiously optimistic? i predict that if young QBs look good during spring game, people will start to amp up the expectations for the season.

Personally, I am trying to stay optimistic, but it has been a rough go since Pelini left...as far as wins go and getting to bowls.

8 hours ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

i predict that if young QBs look good during spring game, people will start to amp up the expectations for the season.

I agree with that sentiment.

Personally, I want to see Haarberg the most for the simple reason that his performance last year sets the baseline. I'm more interested in seeing how this passing game has improved than I am watching one guy throw everyone open. I guess I'm assuming if Haarberg can do it then the other two can, too, which isn't fair for me to say at all, but after seeing last year I don't think anyone would blame me.

20 hours ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

i predict that if young QBs look good during spring game, people will start to amp up the expectations for the season.

I honestly won't be surprised if the young QBs struggle against the defense in the spring game. Based on last year, the defense is light years ahead of the offense, and returns a lot of production. This offense might as well be in year one again because it won't look anything like it did when HH was QB1. I think the young guys will flash some real potential but overall have an underwhelming performance, which will send the fanbase into a spiral. I expect the offense to look more like a well oiled machine week 1 then it will in the spring game.

• TBH 2

10 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

I honestly won't be surprised if the young QBs struggle against the defense in the spring game. Based on last year, the defense is light years ahead of the offense, and returns a lot of production. This offense might as well be in year one again because it won't look anything like it did when HH was QB1. I think the young guys will flash some real potential but overall have an underwhelming performance, which will send the fanbase into a spiral. I expect the offense to look more like a well oiled machine week 1 then it will in the spring game.

And really the year one offense was for Jeff Simms.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

And really the year one offense was for Jeff Simms.

That is a good point.  Once he was hurt/out they totally changed it, or so it seemed, to fit HH.  

DR is not HH, as in, DR can throw and read defenses but he is not going to run.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
On 4/10/2024 at 11:38 AM, brophog said:

Year 2 improvement

Returning experience

I was definitely referring to pressure & expectations delivered by Husker Nation.

On 4/10/2024 at 11:38 AM, brophog said:

Let's assume this board represents a decent cross-section of the fan base. During this period, the overwhelming majority of people are going to say they don't have high expectations. I agree with that, that's what people will say.

And our schedule for the first six games of the year is arguable the easiest it's been in memory, recent or otherwise.

But I'm still talking about how things go if the first half of the season is "bad." And for the record I made a strong emphasis in that post on the word "if."