When was the last time…

Cornfed

43 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The excitement around Frost coming home to coach was bigger than this. That seemed like a slam dunk hire to all of college football, and Nebraska was guaranteed to return to respectability.

This seems much more ethereal. Even if we get Raiola, McCord, Kaelin, Etienne and Fleming, which is a monumental task, it still feels like we'll find a way to mess up and miss a bowl game. 

It is hard to shake the feelings of the Solich curse and believe we too can have 'good things'.  Maybe we finally get a Nebraskan Christmas - to counter all of those cheesy low budget Christmas movies streaming right now . 

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, Cornfed said:

You felt this much of a buzz about Nebraska football? God it sucked missing a bowl in the biggest tease of a way.. but there’s something brewing, I can feel it. 

I know nothing is official yet but I’ll relish in it for what it is. It’s been a dry 12 or so years (more really).. feels good to get some water. 

While the frosty era went up in flames, the excitement was at this level.  I could argue even a bit more than the vibes right now because it was an official sure thing and he brought a swagger/bravado with him (that clearly wasn't backed up with his execution and on field results.) Beyond that def Suh... perhaps I'd add the first 5 weeks of T Magic in 2010 when he was running through and past everybody

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Doesn't Nebraska always win the off-season with all the buzz that surrounds the program???  That's when (the off-season) I get excited with all the changes to the roster it keeps me on the edge of my seat.

I dont get this point thats going around.  If anything, the offseason just seems more optimistic because of how trash we've been on the field.  But to say we've won the offseason, perhaps compared to big ten west peers.  Cant think of an offseason where we actually gained national buzz and attention tho

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

It is hard to shake the feelings of the Solich curse and believe we too can have 'good things'.  Maybe we finally get a Nebraskan Christmas - to counter all of those cheesy low budget Christmas movies streaming right now . 

Its not the solich curse man, its the curse of scott frost.  We won a title in 97 largely due to the flea kicker catch, it required future decades worth of goodwill and karma to make happen for TOs last ride.  It sent us is a downspin for 27 years that could only be stopped by an equally bad disaster aka the frosty era.  lets get ready for another 27 years of husker glory

• Oh Yeah! 2
15 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Its not the solich curse man, its the curse of scott frost.  We won a title in 97 largely due to the flea kicker catch, it required future decades worth of goodwill and karma to make happen for TOs last ride.  It sent us is a downspin for 27 years that could only be stopped by an equally bad disaster aka the frosty era.  lets get ready for another 27 years of husker glory

Bingo

Rhule on Pat McAfee for 45 minutes, Raiola and McC both visiting, Rhule going after other "big" gets etc....All after a 5-7 season.  Dude is getting it done.  Not a lot of other 5-7 teams getting this much press and shaking up the portal and recruiting world at this point this year.  I'll take it.  (Any word on Kaelin still coming?)

Now if we land Raiola, McC and some of the others I will be shocked, but for today, we are in the media for all the right reasons.  

43 minutes ago, lo country said:

Now if we land Raiola, McC and some of the others I will be shocked, but for today, we are in the media for all the right reasons.  

I'm cautiously optimistic on any of them, but I'm really hopeful we get McCord.

I've commented before on this, but one of the things I really didn't like about our passing game was it had no rhythm. A lot of that is playcalling, play design, coaching points, etc, but when that stuff was better at times we also saw QBs throw inaccurate passes and make poor decisions.

Ohio St with McCord had great rhythm in their passing game. His back foot hits and he's ready to throw. When the play breaks down, he's no Houdini, for sure, but when he can keep that rhythm he's a very good QB.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, knapplc said:

The excitement around Frost coming home to coach was bigger than this. That seemed like a slam dunk hire to all of college football, and Nebraska was guaranteed to return to respectability.

This seems much more ethereal. Even if we get Raiola, McCord, Kaelin, Etienne and Fleming, which is a monumental task, it still feels like we'll find a way to mess up and miss a bowl game. 

we need a good OL

40 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

we need a good OL

I'm going to say something very controversial.

OL is overrated.

I'd only say that to this fanbase. It's not because it is a position group that is overrated, it is that I think some Nebraska fans honestly think bad offensive line play causes cancer.

The biggest component of the running game is box count and the biggest contributor to sacks is the QB. Not that the offensive line doesn't matter, they absolutely play their part and I'm poking fun at fans more than diminishing their contribution, but it is amazing how much better they seem to get with a good QB and a light box.

10 hours ago, brophog said:

I'm going to say something very controversial.

OL is overrated.

I'd only say that to this fanbase. It's not because it is a position group that is overrated, it is that I think some Nebraska fans honestly think bad offensive line play causes cancer.

The biggest component of the running game is box count and the biggest contributor to sacks is the QB. Not that the offensive line doesn't matter, they absolutely play their part and I'm poking fun at fans more than diminishing their contribution, but it is amazing how much better they seem to get with a good QB and a light box.

Sort of agree.

I think so many Husker fans see a sack or a defender around the QB and automatically think the OL sucks.  Sometimes that's true.  Sometimes it's not.

• TBH 1
On 12/12/2023 at 6:55 AM, knapplc said:

I would sincerely hope McCord alone would be the difference between a 5/6 win squad and an 8-9 win squad.  If we simply had a qb that was 75% of the caliber McCord is this last year we'd have most likely finished the year 9-3/10-2 and the male population of the husker fan base would be walking around with perpetual hard ons.