Saban Retiring

7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

There are a bunch of coaches that could do a good job at Bama. Problem is, none of them is capable of meeting the expectations. And Alabama will not lower their expectations one iota. Next guy is doomed to failure no matter what. The best they can hope for is a good coach that wants to pad his early retirement. All prospects have to realize it’s probably a career ender. Well maybe not a career ender but they certainly have to realize it won’t be a long term job.

agree.  thats why i'd take a run at liepold.

22 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Years ago when the Irish were looking for a new coach...me and my HC said would both apply just in hopes of getting a letter back from ND saying "Thank you for your interest but..." on the ND letterhead! 

I might get a look.  I have the same name as a former NFL coach who is unemployed at the moment (i think).  

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

They are back to begging the UW coach.

So they have no struck out 5 times...and are back to begging.

What a bunch of clowns.

Imagine 21st century Nebraska fans calling Alabama clowns...

I'd take the 'Bama circus show now if accompanied with just 40% of their recent success.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

46 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

I'd take the 'Bama circus show now if accompanied with just 40% of their recent success.

Hey, they created the circus with not having a dude lined up.

• TBH 1
50 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

I hear Alabama is still accepting applications for bandwagon fans….if you’re interested.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Hey, they created the circus with not having a dude lined up.

Hard to have somebody lined up when the guy in place wasn't giving any indication he was slowing down - people won't wait forever.

I think the rumors of their demise are greatly exaggerated regardless of who they hire. I'm sure they want an experienced big name, but that wouldn't be a guarantee of success. And somebody with a smaller profile is not doomed to fail - the pressure is high without a doubt, but everything necessary to win a lot is there. They'll get dunked on in the media if it's Rees or Locksley or someone like that, but those might be better hires than some of the "big" names in reality.

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Hard to have somebody lined up when the guy in place wasn't giving any indication he was slowing down - people won't wait forever.

I think the rumors of their demise are greatly exaggerated regardless of who they hire. I'm sure they want an experienced big name, but that wouldn't be a guarantee of success. And somebody with a smaller profile is not doomed to fail - the pressure is high without a doubt, but everything necessary to win a lot is there. They'll get dunked on in the media if it's Rees or Locksley or someone like that, but those might be better hires than some of the "big" names in reality.

I agree BUT AD's always talk about that "list" they have of coaches.

Also, if Saban gave zero heads up to his AD, he is a d!(k.  

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

They are back to begging the UW coach.

So they have no struck out 5 times...and are back to begging.

What a bunch of clowns.

I think it's more these coaches who already have money, are not eager to go get fired in 4 years for not being Nick Saban. I wouldn't take that job as a successful coach at a different school, no way in hell.

Nothing to do with them being clowns, product of Sabans ridiculous success.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

Wonder if this is going to be one of those Riley to USC or Kelly to LSU hires.  A name that comes out of nowhere who currently has a top program.  Ryan Day fits that description.  Would Brian Kelly jump again?  Then after that you go down to the Gundy's of the world.

Someone mentioned Leipold.  He'd be a good hire. Klieman would be to.  Both guys who are up there in age who can be there 4 years, win 9-10 games a year, and eventually get fired for not winning a NC.

17 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I agree BUT AD's always talk about that "list" they have of coaches.

Also, if Saban gave zero heads up to his AD, he is a d!(k.  

I have a hard time believing that Saban did not at least tell the AD that he was strongly considering retirement earlier in the year. I'm sure that the AD has a list of people but as we Nebraska fans know, it's not as easy to fill the job after an unbelievable run of success. Nobody wants to be remembered as the guy who killed the dynasty so to speak

Just now, Gorillahawk said:

I have a hard time believing that Saban did not at least tell the AD that he was strongly considering retirement earlier in the year. I'm sure that the AD has a list of people but as we Nebraska fans know, it's not as easy to fill the job after an unbelievable run of success. Nobody wants to be remembered as the guy who killed the dynasty so to speak

I would ASSUME he told his AD, I mean, that would be the normal thing to do.

• Plus1 1

I'm not going to assume they are "missing" on anyone or didn't have anyone lined up, until after this weekend.  If they did, they will announce on Sunday with presser on Monday.  If this is Nebraska 2.0 after Solich then good night Sally.

While it may or may not have been the correct person, Osborne knighting Solich and taking out the "who would want to follow a legend" dynamic is looking more and more to be a wise decision.