247: Potential Breakthrough Teams for 2024

NEBRASKA HUSKERS

Why not Nebraska? Slotted somewhere in the mid-tier of most early Big Ten power rankings, the Huskers project to get to bowl season to cap Matt Rhule's second season. And had Nebraska executed more efficiently in the fourth quarter of games last fall, the Huskers would've been ahead of schedule in Rhule's rebuild after losing five games by a single possession. Four of those came consecutively in November with the Huskers only one win away from bowl eligibility.

There is a path to nine wins (or more) for Nebraska this season if the Huskers are able to establish early momentum with a favorable slate by Big Ten standards and get a boost of confidence under five-star freshman quarterback Dylan Raiola, should he be Rhule's selection to start. The Huskers could be favored in their first seven games prior to a road trip to Ohio State. They only play one opponent ranked inside the preseason top 20. Rhule and his coaching staff need to do everything they can to take advantage of this schedule as a potential dark horse in the conference.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 5

Have to believe we are at the point we actually need to prove it on the field before most people are going to be picking us anything. After seven years of convincingly winning the offseason then proceeding lay an egg the following season a lot of people are leery of DONU. And with good reason IMHO.

• Plus1 2

Let's not pour the :koolaid2:yet.   Prove it on the field guys.   I do think, however, that Rhule is doing all of the right things in building the culture and building consistency in the program.   I like all of the team building things he is doing.   This should all pay big dividends next season.

One thing I'm anxious to see is how wrestling has helped Nash to becoming an even bigger force on the DL.  I can't help but think that the loss of weight, increase agility, and increased strength  will make him a 'bear' (pun intended) to handle.  I'm expecting a breakout year for him - perhaps SUH like. 

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep, gotta prove it.  But, dang, it sure seems like about everything is going in the right direction, no matter what UNL program you look at.

Thank-you Trev!   Yes, VB, Women's and Men's B-Ball, Wrestling, etc all improving or in VB's - staying great.  

• Oh Yeah! 2

Following up on that, the same 247 writer predicts that Nebraska will go 9-3 this year:

Nebraska Huskers

Pre-spring final record projection: 9-3

Conference finish: 6-3 (three-way tie for third)

Why: There is a path to nine wins (or more) for Nebraska this season if the Huskers are able to establish early momentum with a favorable slate by Big Ten standards and get a boost of confidence under five-star freshman quarterback Dylan Raiola, should he be Matt Rhule's selection to start. The Huskers could be favored in their first seven games prior to a road trip to Ohio State. They only play one opponent ranked inside the preseason top 20. Rhule and his coaching staff need to do everything they can to take advantage of this schedule as a potential dark horse in the conference.

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/big-ten-football-predictions-way-too-early-order-of-finish-final-records-for-2024-season-227752843/#2373186

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • Worth a Look 1
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

The teams they play SUUUUUUCK on offense and the Husker D-line should shut down the running game of pretty much every team they face.

9-3 is on the LOW end IF they start off 7-0.

7-0 start changes everything.  

7-0/6-1 start is critical, that back 5 stretch will be fun but I dont wanna enter it at 4-3 needing to win a couple just for .500.  

Colorado offense wont be bad in the opening stretch-  similar to last year they're prolly the 2nd best offense we're gonna face .

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

7-0/6-1 start is critical, that back 5 stretch will be fun but I dont wanna enter it at 4-3 needing to win a couple just for .500.  

Colorado offense wont be bad in the opening stretch-  similar to last year they're prolly the 2nd best offense we're gonna face .

That's assuming that the new Offensive coaches for Colorado run a similar offense to last year.  Didn't CU lose both their OC and DC in the off season?

21 hours ago, soup said:

That's assuming that the new Offensive coaches for Colorado run a similar offense to last year.  Didn't CU lose both their OC and DC in the off season?

probably a bit of a change and potentially a bit of a drop off.  That being said, they have a lot of talent at the skill positions and much of their downfall last year was their inept defense that we simply couldnt take advantage of given we were more inept offensively.  

Shadeur Sanders alone is a tough challenge for any one- as much as i cant stand his and the broader team's antics- the guy's ability to extend plays, his arm, and the speed around him represents a tough challenge for anyone.  they certainly wont suck on offense

• Plus1 2
38 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

probably a bit of a change and potentially a bit of a drop off.  That being said, they have a lot of talent at the skill positions and much of their downfall last year was their inept defense that we simply couldnt take advantage of given we were more inept offensively.  

Shadeur Sanders alone is a tough challenge for any one- as much as i cant stand his and the broader team's antics- the guy's ability to extend plays, his arm, and the speed around him represents a tough challenge for anyone.  they certainly wont suck on offense

It can always be an issue playing a team that will be happy to throw the ball 50 times in a game.

You will probably complete 30+ of those attempts and out of those 30+ there is a good chance 2-3 are long plays and or TD's.  

• Plus1 1

Can anyone tell how good or bad Colorado will be? They really need an offensive line or Shadar will have another broken bone in his back. It's hard to run or throw when you're looking at the sky threw 300 pound defensive linemen.

Offensive lines typically take time to become great offensive lines. With the roster turnover, it's hard to believe they can become great quickly. 

• TBH 1
4 hours ago, GoDucks349 said:

Can anyone tell how good or bad Colorado will be? They really need an offensive line or Shadar will have another broken bone in his back. It's hard to run or throw when you're looking at the sky threw 300 pound defensive linemen.

Offensive lines typically take time to become great offensive lines. With the roster turnover, it's hard to believe they can become great quickly. 

I think it's going to be similar to last year - they did marginally better in the portal at OL this year, and they signed a 5-star OT. But it'll be a totally new line again, and just ask Alabama how rough the transition can be even for uber-talented true freshman Tackles. I expect a potentially explosive offense with a bad OL that isn't going to run the ball, and a very bad defense.

Sheduer also seems to be channeling 2018-19 Aaron Rodgers where he just will not risk interceptions, which leads to terrific TD/INT ratios but also extra sacks and a mediocre yards per attempt. Bad OL + QB who is obsessed with his passing stats is how you end up allowing almost 5 sacks a game, and that hasn't changed.

• Oh Yeah! 1