Trev to A&M

10 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

am I the only one besides Larry the Cable Guy that doesn't really care?  I know its not a good look for the University in general to have some top positions leave abruptly but, I'm a football fan and as long as the right coach is in place which I believe he is, and the players show up and win games I don't care who the AD is.  The only issue I have is that Rhule will be immediately on the hot seat as soon as the new AD shows up.  Story as old as time (AD wants to hire his guy).  

Rhule was his hire.  Rhule isn't exactly known for staying around for a long time at places.  The fact that his new AD wasn't the one that hired him will definitely be used by other schools recruiting against them.

• TBH 2

Terry Pettit, legendary former Husker volleyball coach: "Talented people (Ted Carter, Ronnie Green, Trev Alberts) leave a team when the leadership above them loses sight of the team's purpose. The team is the University. When the leadership cuts funding, and undermines the team's purpose with political dogma they leave."

Never one to mince words.

• Plus1 6
  • TBH 2
10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess I don't really buy the gap in Presidents being that big of an issue.  I'm not sure we're that much different than any other place.

For example, Ohio State's former President announced her retirement in November 2022.  Ted Carter wasn't announced as the replacement until August 2023.  He didn't assume his position until January of this year.

By that timeline, we still have 6-ish months to have a new President in place.

Someone needs to look in the mirror and contemplate if they have had anything to do with this.

• Plus1 5
35 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Rose said this morning on KFAB that Greene was the wrong hire.  I have no idea, I’m just repeating.

If Greene was the wrong hire and Trev is just being Trev, I think it changes this narrative a bit.

I would take what Rose says with a grain of salt.

• Plus1 2

Oh geez are you telling me the guy that told the UNO wrestling program they were getting eliminated the night they won the national title is leaving again like a snake in the night? I for one, am shocked. Shocked I tell you! Rest in piss Alberts.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

While all true, Nebraska from 1996-2003 is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. 

TAMU is dysfunctional but they are in a sandbox with the big boys that Nebraska just isn't anymore. They have access to talent that Nebraska doesn't, it's okay to acknowledge that TAMU (despite little historical success) has a higher ceiling than Nebraska currently. Hopefully CBAs allow Nebraska to dabble in that sandbox once more.

Personally, I think losing Trev sucks but it's pretty clear Nebraska is veering into a financial blackhole with the stadium downsizing project. 

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess I don't really buy the gap in Presidents being that big of an issue.  I'm not sure we're that much different than any other place.

For example, Ohio State's former President announced her retirement in November 2022.  Ted Carter wasn't announced as the replacement until August 2023.  He didn't assume his position until January of this year.

By that timeline, we still have 6-ish months to have a new President in place.

Sure seems like deflection from the gov.  Like some on HB are trying to do as well.

6 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Oh geez are you telling me the guy that told the UNO wrestling program they were getting eliminated the night they won the national title is leaving again like a snake in the night? I for one, am shocked. Shocked I tell you! Rest in piss Alberts.

When was he supposed to tell them?

Word was going to get out and then Denny would have heard it from someone else first.  Then people would have b!^@hed about that.

• Plus1 3

From a "guy who knows stuff" on another message board and has been right about a lot of things in the past:

The BOR did a half-a$$ search for a new president (Carter replacement) and had settled on naming the Chris Kabourek (the current interim president) the new president.  Trev and Kabourek don't get along the best going back to Trev's UNO days.  Trev feels Kabourek is underqualified to be president and also Kabourek isn't keen on the new stadium project.

• Plus1 1
  • Worth a Look 2

Texas A&M comparison to Nebraska which favors the Huskers is kinda funny. I remember when Childress left Nebraska baseball to go to College Station, most people understood. A&M has certain advantages with money in their programs. And then there's comparisons between Nebraska football and its win total or its accomplishments versus A&M, According to On3, Texas A&M has recruited 98 four or five star athletes and won a recruiting national title in the last six cycles and one year they had nine five star players. Nebraska had 10 four star recruits one year in that stretch and 35 total four or five star guys with just the one five star, our new QB. Now A&M did nothing with its good fortunes on the recruiting trail and Jimbo got the boot. Maybe Elko won't do much better. But if we are looking at the potential of A&M, with the right push, getting to the top four of the SEC or Nebraska getting to the top four of the BIG 10 in a 14-team playoff where ADs will be judged by playoff appearances..... 

9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

When was he supposed to tell them?

Word was going to get out and then Denny would have heard it from someone else first.  Then people would have b!^@hed about that.

There's a way to do things and a way to not do things. I will grant (and this will be the last time I bring this up ITT in order to not derail) that it wouldn't of mattered because Denney hated Trev's guts.

Politics and lack of leadership aside, I’m struggling to see how this really affected Trev. Okay so Ronnie and Ted left and he didn’t have a permanent boss named yet. Not a good situation, quite ridiculous frankly, but how does it directly adversely impact the AD? I have to believe that Trev was pretty much able to do what he wanted to do as long the athletics budget was okay and team performances were acceptable or trending up. I don’t see the WBB fiasco being any reason for his leaving. I can’t imagine Trev was too opposed to the conservative side of things.

We can blame anti-wokeness and politics all we want for the leadership vacuum and probably be correct but, what specifically about the situation made it intolerable for Trev? He got paid. He had a good contract. He was at his alma mater, supposedly in the job he wanted. All I’m left with is Trev struggles with the slightest bit of adversity and is somewhat of a prima donna. I’m failing to see how it was so bad he couldn’t persevere until the leadership issue got addressed.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 3
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

what specifically about the situation made it intolerable for Trev?

That's the million dollar question.  And, one the Nebraska media should press to find out.

The one point on politics that I'll make is the tweet from Chris Dunker where he quoted an article of his from quite a while ago where the governor was actively working to get rid of the President and Chancellor.  This governor thinks the same way.  That can create a lot of political tension in a position like AD.

That said, I really don't think aTm is any less dysfunctional.  

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 3