NCAA Tournament Round of 64: Nebrasketball vs Texas A&M @ Memphis

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m not a fan of what the selection committees did here. This should be about the players and coaches. Not an AD. 

If the selection committees ever considers who an athletic director is I “wouldn’t be a fan”.

It’s a tournament.  Go play basketball.  I also think Houston is beatable.  By us?  Let’s get past the first round.

So who goes deeper into the tournament?

NU Women

NU Men

The men got the more difficult task - Houston in the 2nd round.   I think the Husker Women will make it to the Elite 8.  The men will win the first game ... finally in program history.  Houston - depends what team shows up - the one that beat Purdue or the one that lost to Iowa by 18 a few days later.  

The whole NU vs A&M for both Men and Women really shows that the selection committee is a sham. It is all political and ratings driven.   To be honest, I thought the Women deserved a 5th seed and possibly a 4th would not have been a big stretch.   

40 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So who goes deeper into the tournament?

NU Women

NU Men

The men got the more difficult task - Houston in the 2nd round.   I think the Husker Women will make it to the Elite 8.  The men will win the first game ... finally in program history.  Houston - depends what team shows up - the one that beat Purdue or the one that lost to Iowa by 18 a few days later.  

The whole NU vs A&M for both Men and Women really shows that the selection committee is a sham. It is all political and ratings driven.   To be honest, I thought the Women deserved a 5th seed and possibly a 4th would not have been a big stretch.   

I think the women. 

But honestly both teams could win more than 1 game. Both very well coached, and if you get hot from behind the Arc, they can beat anyone. 

Jay Bilas on ESPN:

No. 8 NEBRASKA vs. No. 9 TEXAS A&M

NEBRASKA CORNHUSKERS: Nebraska has had a really good season. Wins over Purdue and Michigan State were revelatory. The engine that makes Nebraska special in any given game is shooting guard Keisei Tominaga. The headband-wearing guard has no limit to his range and shoots the ball conscience-free. When he is hitting, he can take over. Big man Rienk Mast, a transfer from Bradley, is a double-double guy who is physical and efficient. Mast can pass it, as well.

X factor: Juwan Gary. One of the best defenders in the country, Gary can decide a game by being a stopper on the defensive end.

Upset potential: Medium. Nebraska can make shots from multiple positions, especially Tominaga. He is a wild card who can get 30 points if he gets hot. This is a fun, capable team.

TEXAS A&M AGGIES: The Aggies' scoring power is from the guard spots with Wade Taylor IV and Tyrece Radford. Taylor is a bucket-getting perimeter scorer and Radford is a strong, left-handed, downhill driver who can also get on the glass like few guards can. Offensive rebounding and toughness are what sets this team apart. Texas A&M is the best offensive rebounding team in the nation, grabbing 42% of its misses for high-percentage second shots. The first shot, however, is an adventure. Texas A&M is not a good shooting team, either from 2-point (40%) or 3-point range (28%). If you choke off the offensive rebounds for the super athletic and relentless rebounding Aggies, they can be had.

X factor: Andersson Garcia. The 6-7 wing is the best offensive rebounder in the SEC and one of the most productive in the country. He is relentless and nearly impossible to keep off the glass.

Upset potential: Medium. The Aggies beat Kentucky twice and have been on a heater lately. With Taylor able to go for 35 or more in a given game, Texas A&M is really dangerous. When not hitting, which happens a lot, the Aggies are gettable, although the ability to defend and get second shots tempers that a bit.

WINNER: Texas A&M. This game is in Memphis at 6:50 p.m. ET. Like most 8-9 games, this is a coin flip. But Texas A&M is the better rebounding team, by far. That won't matter if Nebraska hits enough shots, though. I like Texas A&M to win, even though shooting can be a problem for the Aggies. They can rebound misses.

23 hours ago, HANC said:

I am headed down Thursday. Need to find a Husker headquarters!

Stubhub tickets keep getting cheaper and cheaper. I'm more and more tempted to drive up from Atlanta although I don't think my car is up to the challenge.