Facility Funding Discussion

On 3/23/2024 at 8:35 AM, Red Five said:

I think we can we all agree that the $450M stadium modernization project that was outlined by Trev  won't be happening as planned (either in cost or timeline)?

In fairness, it wasn't exactly a secret that the cost of the project was going to be anywhere close to what was initially reported. It was always going to be significantly over budget. It was a financial black hole while nearly half the funding was going to come from private donations - the same people who funded the newly completed Football Facility and who also fund our NIL operations. 

All of this when Athletic Department revenue is about to be collectively bargained with student athletes.

This project was a fiasco from the beginning. Not to mention the real purpose is to reduce stadium capacity to ~75k barely a decade after stadium capacity was increased to 90k. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This project was a fiasco from the beginning. Not to mention the real purpose is to reduce stadium capacity to ~75k barely a decade after stadium capacity was increased to 90k. 

In hindsight, the east stadium expansion was more of a mistake than this one, conceptually. Came about at the worst time right before two major factors. #1 being the nationwide trend of declining attendance due to better at home viewing experiences and #2 the beginning of our decade of suck.

I know the price point and the timing for what Trev had proposed is simply too much after the new facilities, NIL ballooning and a future that likely includes collective bargaining, but the approach and problems this is trying to tackle are very well thought out to A. increase the fan experience across the board, B. give the AD more high level/suite offerings to make a good chunk of change off of, and C. keep the supply/demand equation of the sellout streak at a better equilibrium.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
40 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

In hindsight, the east stadium expansion was more of a mistake than this one, conceptually. Came about at the worst time right before two major factors. #1 being the nationwide trend of declining attendance due to better at home viewing experiences and #2 the beginning of our decade of suck.

I know the price point and the timing for what Trev had proposed is simply too much after the new facilities, NIL ballooning and a future that likely includes collective bargaining, but the approach and problems this is trying to tackle are very well thought out to A. increase the fan experience across the board, B. give the AD more high level/suite offerings to make a good chunk of change off of, and C. keep the supply/demand equation of the sellout streak at a better equilibrium.

I think you bring up completely fair and correct points. Making the fan experience better is a good idea, I'm not sure it requires a half billion dollar investment - and probably much larger - though. 

Replacing the bleachers with seats, massively expanding the wifi and implementing ways to make concessions lines go faster (cashless only, self serve beverage kiosks, increase concession capacity, etc) can accomplish a lot of what they're looking for at a smaller price point. 

At a certain point, I'm not sure they can do much to compete with the home experience. Going to and from games is a massive time commitment that no amount of stadium amenities will overcome.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, jamesbond said:

It's a waste of money to keep renovating that dinosaur. Time for forward thinking and plan a new stadium in a couple of years. Make going to the games a wonderful experience instead of having to pee in troughs or porta potties.

I agree. Throw a few more porta-potties under or outside the south stand bleachers and call it a day. Hate to see them put well over a half billion dollars into a facility that is so hopelessly outdated.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I agree. Throw a few more porta-potties under or outside the south stand bleachers and call it a day. Hate to see them put well over a half billion dollars into a facility that is so hopelessly outdated.

$450M massive renovate still valid ??? (Trev's plan)

Anyway new $800M NW Ryan Field.  Under construction. Northwestern still seeking home venue.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/big-ten/northwestern-reportedly-still-seeking-locations-several-home-football-games-2024-ohio-state-buckeyes-wrigley-field-wisconsin-badgers-lambeau-field-indiana-hoosiers

Could be Wrigley Field, Lambeau Field, SeatGeek Stadium or Soldier Field

SeatGeek Stadium ..... only 20,000 capacity

Ryan Field

ryan-field1540__ScaleMaxWidthWzc3MF0.jpg

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

On 3/23/2024 at 12:22 PM, Micheal said:

So do we think we see a scaled down south stadium project then? Hope some new vision comes out soon. Need to keep momentum rolling

Can't remember what reporter put out these pictures when Trev was leaving. 

20240313_181328.jpg

20240313_181320.jpg

20240313_181317.jpg

20240313_181313.jpg

20240313_181309.jpg

I don't like upper deck .... too high.  How about OU south stadium expansion ? 

ou-football-coaches-share-photos-of-stad

57c48988c2137.image.jpg?crop=700,368,0,4

BTW, five years ago or so, I posted my design vision ......

TdcbBmj.pngwwZe1Iy.png 

second deck, closer to the action

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

I don't like upper deck .... too high.  How about OU south stadium expansion ? 

ou-football-coaches-share-photos-of-stad

57c48988c2137.image.jpg?crop=700,368,0,4

BTW, five years ago or so, I posted my design vision ......

TdcbBmj.pngwwZe1Iy.png 

second deck, closer to the action

The foundation on the south side can’t handle an upper deck and that is why they haven’t expanded up.  

21 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Replacing the bleachers with seats, massively expanding the wifi and implementing ways to make concessions lines go faster (cashless only, self serve beverage kiosks, increase concession capacity, etc) can accomplish a lot of what they're looking for at a smaller price point. 

All good ideas, but replacing bleachers with seats isn't possible without some pretty major altering of the fundamental concrete. The steps and aisles aren't big/deep enough to accomodate seats plus humans

I usually go to 2 games a year.  Sometimes the lines to pee are annoying but not the end of the world and sitting on the bleachers is not that bad, plus it is more like standing...sitting for a few seconds...standing again and so on.

The wifi is not great but it is really not bad either.

I don't know.  Having it all modern would be cool but some of the complaints seem a little silly.

• TBH 5