Burkhead returns to practice

np_husker

hairline fracture?

correct me if im wrong but thats different from a broken foot.

I've been hearing it was his big toe and it was a hairline fracture

I've actually fractured my big toe before and I would think one would be able to just play through the pain if that was the case. Just give him a shot before the games and he would be good to go. I remember when broke my toe I really didn't want to go to the doctor cause I felt like it would be a waste, and I was correct. Doctor pretty much said congrats it's broken, now be on your way. If you insist I could have you pay extra from some pain meds and a boot, but those aren't necessary wearing a shoe and taking regular pain killers will do just fine.

Well a hairline fracture is a split in the bone. The bone is still broken but it's not as severe. But you don't want to play around with that stuff. Problem with the situation is it's his foot. Walking on the damn thing slows down healing time. Any weight on it slows down healing time. So I don't see how the guy has been staying fit enough to play ball yet. You recover...then you have to build up the cardio endurance and the strength in that leg again.

The amount of recovery time varies greatly depending upon the location, severity, and the strength of the body's healing response. Complete rest and a cast or walking boot are usually used for a period of four to eight weeks, although periods of rest of twelve to sixteen weeks is not uncommon for more severe stress fractures. After this period activities may be gradually resumed, as long as the activities do not cause pain. While the bone may feel healed and not hurt during daily activity, the process of bone remodeling may take place for many months after the injury feels healed, and incidences of re-fracturing the bone is still at significant risk. Activities such as running or sports that place additional stress on the bone should only gradually be resumed. One general rule is to not increase the volume of training by more than 10 percent from one week to the next.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_fracture

I've actually fractured my big toe before and I would think one would be able to just play through the pain if that was the case. Just give him a shot before the games and he would be good to go. I remember when broke my toe I really didn't want to go to the doctor cause I felt like it would be a waste, and I was correct. Doctor pretty much said congrats it's broken, now be on your way. If you insist I could have you pay extra from some pain meds and a boot, but those aren't necessary wearing a shoe and taking regular pain killers will do just fine.

Yeah, but there's a difference between walking around with it and violently cutting and changing directions on it.

Glad to hear he is practicing again; let's hope he can see the field before the season is over!

Sure hope they take their time with this kid! We can't afford to create any lingering injuries with this guy. Even with a three back rotation next year we are really going to need this guy down the road. I think we should let him come back slowly, and save him for no earlier than the Texas game should we make it there. I love watching him play but wouldn't mind not seeing him again until the spring game really. But really what do I know, we could wait all that time and he could still have a problem. I guess we just have to trust the medical staff knows their craft. I wish him all the best.

Sure hope they take their time with this kid! We can't afford to create any lingering injuries with this guy. Even with a three back rotation next year we are really going to need this guy down the road. I think we should let him come back slowly, and save him for no earlier than the Texas game should we make it there. I love watching him play but wouldn't mind not seeing him again until the spring game really. But really what do I know, we could wait all that time and he could still have a problem. I guess we just have to trust the medical staff knows their craft. I wish him all the best.

:yeah please do not rush this!!!

hairline fracture?

correct me if im wrong but thats different from a broken foot.

I've been hearing it was his big toe and it was a hairline fracture

I broke my little toe (it was literally dangling off my foot). The doctor said "yeah it's broken" and there wasn't much he could do but wrap it up. I wasn't exactly playing football at the time but I was able to walk on it no problem. Of course a big toe would be used much, much more. like others have said, Rex will be back once he is back to playing shape.

The amount of recovery time varies greatly depending upon the location, severity, and the strength of the body's healing response. Complete rest and a cast or walking boot are usually used for a period of four to eight weeks, although periods of rest of twelve to sixteen weeks is not uncommon for more severe stress fractures. After this period activities may be gradually resumed, as long as the activities do not cause pain. While the bone may feel healed and not hurt during daily activity, the process of bone remodeling may take place for many months after the injury feels healed, and incidences of re-fracturing the bone is still at significant risk. Activities such as running or sports that place additional stress on the bone should only gradually be resumed. One general rule is to not increase the volume of training by more than 10 percent from one week to the next.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_fracture

Dude, just have to say it. Don't quote Wikipedia like it is a legitimate source. If I wanted I could go to that site and change it around completely. Anyone can put anything they want on there and claim it as accurate.