The Official "What Are You Playing Now?" Thread

Finally got my PS4 last night. Currently have NBA 2k14 and FIFA 14. Going to stick with these for a while but was wondering what everyone recommends? No way I'm reading all the way back through this thread. Too lazy for that.

I just got AC4 Black Flag the other night. It looks absolutely incredible. 1080p and at 60fps, it plays so smooth. I'm only a couple of hours into it, but I can tell my whole weekend will be absorbed by it.

I just hate how gimmicky and child focused Nintendo has become. My best memories with a console to this day are with the original NES and then the GameCube but they lost me, and I think most of the mid to older generation of gamers, when they switched to the wii. The last thing I want to do after a long day is jump around for two hours to play a video game.

Child-focused????

What gives you that idea?

I just hate how gimmicky and child focused Nintendo has become. My best memories with a console to this day are with the original NES and then the GameCube but they lost me, and I think most of the mid to older generation of gamers, when they switched to the wii. The last thing I want to do after a long day is jump around for two hours to play a video game.

Child-focused????

Art styles is a part of it to me, Some of the top selling games being a variety of Pokemon doesnt help with that either. But I think the lack of MA titles released on Nintendo systems is a big part of it.

Could be. But Nintendo's games haven't changed. Mario and Zelda weren't child games in the 90s...why are they suddenly childish games now?

Do we somehow need games to be dark, gray-shaded, and involving guns and lifelike visuals to be good games? Are adults that insecure with their adulthood that a Mario game, no matter how challenging and fun, is deemed to be somehow too immature for them?

Could be. But Nintendo's games haven't changed. Mario and Zelda weren't child games in the 90s...why are they suddenly childish games now?

Do we somehow need games to be dark, gray-shaded, and involving guns and lifelike visuals to be good games? Are adults that insecure with their adulthoo that a Mario game, no matter how challenging and fun, is deemed to be somehow too immature for them?

I think its the fact that they have not changed. Its basically the same game now as it was in the first generation consoles.

And its not necessarily Mario, those generally review well. but the Wii sports and the Pokemon I mentioned are absolutely kid focused games. If I'm not mistaken the Wii and Wii U are also behind the curve in online environment and market place. And the lack of the cross platform AAA titles I think really kills their image. The Wii also not having HD support didnt help.

I'm also not of a mind where a game has to have something to make a good game, I have everything from gorgeous AAA titles, to indie games off a shoestring budget. Violent games, passive games, story driven or not.

Child-focused????

I consider myself a gamer, but not one that actively researches companies, products, etc. If I see a game I like, I buy it, play it and maybe spend a little time researching it and learning more about it. On a scale of 1-10, if one is the casual consumer and 10 is the most hardcore gamer, I'm probably a 3 or 4. That background stated, I agree with Bucky. The commercials aired often focus on families and interaction with others. Plus, games that are shared on all three consoles appear (again, from the casual perspective) to be better with Sony and Microsoft. Football games are really good example - I tried playing one on the Wii and found it almost unbearable, to the point that I haven't tried another since.

So, to others that spend a lot of time understanding the gaming world and the different consoles, sure - there's probably a lot more to the Wii and Nintendo that we're missing. But, I don't think that type of person is the majority of people who play video games. So, that's why the Wii has that perception.

Any of you swingin richards have an Xbox1? If so, which driving game do you recommend?

Forza or Need for Speed underground. I never played the original Forza but I played some sequels on 360 and they were pretty good if you like simulation...fine tuning your cars and stuff. I love NFS Underground, you can customize and upgrade your cars like in Forza but its more arcadey. Both are a lot of fun.

Midnight Club II is out there too, never played it but its popular, I think its more arcadey like NFS.

• Fire 1

Any of you swingin richards have an Xbox1? If so, which driving game do you recommend?

Forza or Need for Speed underground. I never played the original Forza but I played some sequels on 360 and they were pretty good if you like simulation...fine tuning your cars and stuff. I love NFS Underground, you can customize and upgrade your cars like in Forza but its more arcadey. Both are a lot of fun.

Midnight Club II is out there too, never played it but its popular, I think its more arcadey like NFS.

I don't own one, but I did see that 1 in 3 XBone owners have bought Forza. So its probably a pretty safe bet.