Stadium Expansion

We don't need a bigger screen. We don't need ANY screen. I'm sick and tired of the constant promotions and contests, Oh look, a Runza ad! Now it's the Omaha World Herald Kickoff Kid! Now the fan of the game! Now let's honor some military guys (bless their hearts)! Now which pop bottle will win a CGI 'fly around the stadium' contest? Now we gotta give a plaque away to some guy who did something! Look at all these inspirational things, the Power of Red! Now we gotta Find the Pie and watch some schmuck make a fool of himself figuring out which Valentinos logo the pizza is under. Now we're gonna camera around and show people dancing to Lady Gaga! I wonder how the Husker women's soccer team is doing, oh look, they're showing us now!

So much stupid nonsense that takes away from the game atmosphere. Tired of it. I'd pay someone to vandalize those screens.

We don't need a bigger screen. We don't need ANY screen. I'm sick and tired of the constant promotions and contests, Oh look, a Runza ad! Now it's the Omaha World Herald Kickoff Kid! Now the fan of the game! Now let's honor some military guys (bless their hearts)! Now which pop bottle will win a CGI 'fly around the stadium' contest? Now we gotta give a plaque away to some guy who did something! Look at all these inspirational things, the Power of Red! Now we gotta Find the Pie and watch some schmuck make a fool of himself figuring out which Valentinos logo the pizza is under. Now we're gonna camera around and show people dancing to Lady Gaga! I wonder how the Husker women's soccer team is doing, oh look, they're showing us now!

So much stupid nonsense that takes away from the game atmosphere. Tired of it. I'd pay someone to vandalize those screens.

WOW......step away from the ledge

You are a young man to contain so much angst, tschu. You and me need to have a beer and just relax.

WOW......step away from the ledge

did you have a bad experience on camera dancing to gaga?

i agree w him

when i was a kid going the games, it was the action on the field the crowd and the announcer. and that was it. i hadn't been to a game in about 16 yrs and when i went back w all the screens and films and stuff, i was SHOCKED how quiet it was and how much the crowd depended on the jumbotrons to get them going...

people are so dang distracted...

like the 1st time i went to a cubs game, i was so much more into the game than at my hometown rockies cuz all they have is an organ and an old fashioned scoreboard.

and i'm only 35

I agree with most of what you're saying. Too much frivolous junk filling up time. IMO, keep it to some honors every now and then and replays of the last play. That's all that's really needed. Even the tunnel walk has become stale. And the penis envy big screen is just unnecessary especially with the four on the old stadium columns.

The no screen thing kind of makes me laugh considering Nebraska's history in terms of in stadium screen technology. Nebraska was the first college football stadium to have instant replay when Huskervision was first installed. I think the screens, especially the Tunnel Walk, are very much a part of the gameday experience at Nebraska.

Point is, the screens are great for some things. Replays, the tunnel walk, showing the plays live in case someone walks in front of you spilling pop everywhere or something, etc etc. But there's just so much crap that takes away from time where the band could be playing, crowd could be doing fun stuff (if the student section wasn't downsized to what, about a dozen students I think this year) and whatnot. Every time something goes up on that screen, we get dead silence and any energy that the crowd had is gone. But advertisements pay $$$ I suppose...

Point is, the screens are great for some things. Replays, the tunnel walk, showing the plays live in case someone walks in front of you spilling pop everywhere or something, etc etc. But there's just so much crap that takes away from time where the band could be playing, crowd could be doing fun stuff (if the student section wasn't downsized to what, about a dozen students I think this year) and whatnot. Every time something goes up on that screen, we get dead silence and any energy that the crowd had is gone. But advertisements pay $$$ I suppose...

Going to have to agree with you here. When we went to Wisky it was alot of fun and just an all around great atmosphere. Too many advertisments, i do think however when we become elite again and play some close games the crowd will over ride all the other crap. Kind of like the Ohio State game was, that game was awesome. But its just too darn quite when they play all that crap in the downtimes when we are playing the cream puffs, but i suppose that the nature of the beast.

I've always enjoyed having the big screen up in North stadium. I would love to see an even bigger one to replace it, or to put on the South side someday, but I definitely think that a sound system should be priority number 1 once this expansion is done. Hopefully next offseason they can gather the funds to take care of that so that when the 2013 season rolls around, they can unveil the entire thing and have it be absolutely insane.

Speaking of stadium renovations: http://en.wikipedia....um_video_boards I don't know about you guys but 14th in the nation is pretty painful. We also haven't upgraded our screen since 2004. If we want to become #1 we need to beat out Texas's Godzillatron. The screen can be placed in the South side of memorial: MBoA0.png

A few things of note here.

#1 - 14th in the nation is not in any way painful in this category. There's a few reasons for this. First, our video board was the largest in the country when announced (Texas and A&M couldn't have that so they had to outdo us immediately). Second, how many other stadiums have FIVE freaking video boards? Along with the ribbons. Third, the difference in screen sizes between a lot of these are simply a matter of inches; that thing on top of North stadium is still damn big.

#2 - Our giant video board debuted in 2006; not 2004.

Someone tell me this. Why has the sound system upgrade been neglected so much? That is really the only thing I hear people complain about besides the north stadium logistics, yet it is like the AD is purposely turning the shoulder to the issue. If they would like to wait or have a plan that's fine, but at least share with the public. It is getting ridiculous year after year.