SIAP: Bo Pelini's rants

Landlord

I didn't see any postgame remarks this week so I don't know what to think, but I do offer this. When Billy Martin was managing the Yankees (as much as I hate them) it wasn't rare of him to completely freak out on an umpire over something small just to get tossed. Why? To light a fire under the behinds of his player whom he thought to be lackadaisical. Also, football is a game of passion, and Bo's passion is one of the reasons I like him. For those two reasons, I don't have a problem with Bo's antics.

Did I miss something? The interview I saw Bo give reporters after the game was pretty mild. Is this about something you saw on the sidelines?

I was referring to his sideline demeanor all game long, yes. I have no problem with his short, somewhat brash answers for the media, half the time the questions asked deserve it. I'm asking in regards to him screaming, spitting, snarling, glaring, and getting right up in the face of just about everyone.

Do you think it's childish/immature/whiney? Or maybe you think it's passionate/fired up? Do you think he could conduct himself better, do you think it's effective at something, do you think it's out of line, etc.

Sorry, my brain is tired. Hopefully that makes sense.

This was a very frustrating day, heck I don't think anyone watching the game as a husker fan couldn't feel it. So if you were actually apart of the team it would be even more frustrating. Pelini wanted his team to play better and they just weren't, had to be killing him. I say as long as he doesn't pull a Bob Knight or Woody Hayes on one of our players or a ref I don't have any problems.

I love his sideline demeanor and wish some of the players would share his passion. This is a pretty stupid thing to complain about really.

EDIT: and Nebraska fans are going to complain no matter how a coach acts. I remember everyone comlpaining about how boring Osborne was.

Just let Bo be Bo.

Remember Tom Osborne and his stoic sideline deameanor? If your old enough, you probably remember wanting him to show a little more emotion or passion. My point is different stokes for different folks. Bo's works, until it doesn't. I think all emotion, ranting, and stalking the sidelines can be good, but it might have caused a panic state in the Texas game. Sometimes you just need a calm captain that rights the ship in choppy waters, and sometimes you need someone that gets in players grill and call them out when they do bonehead things. He's a winner, but his demeanor is never going to change.

To be honest, I find the premise of this thread to be more childish/immature/whiney than I find Bo on the sidelines. This is major college football with major stakes. You know what you're getting into when you sign up for this. If you're not prepared to play at a championship level, be prepared to take some heat for it.

I really liked bo pelini, but after this game I have my issues with him now. Did we really loose to texas or did we give texas the game?? Hmmm thats something id like to knoe becuzz we beat kansas state and they kick texas butt to night.And next year I dont even think we win 5 games I think ohio state will beat us and thats a given I wonder why. I think after this game against iowa state showed alott about bo as a coach and iam not happy with it at all.

UH....where is this coming from? I'm trying not to be rude....

We won. We caught a scrappy ISU team at home with a bowl bid and the north title on the table for them. They just came off big wins at Texas and KU playing very confident. We have no quarterback and are missing are best corner. We were also coming off an emotional win against Missouri.

Texas is in the midst of one of their worst losing streaks in a long time. KSU is getting the dead dog right now. If we played Texas next (minus the texas curse) we'd win too. Texas is lost. It's like the 07 nebraska team. We forget that team got worse as the season went on. Texas had just lost to ISU and Baylor at home. Zero confidence coming into the game with Kstate.

Hope this puts some perspective on things.

Did I miss something? The interview I saw Bo give reporters after the game was pretty mild. Is this about something you saw on the sidelines?

I was referring to his sideline demeanor all game long, yes. I have no problem with his short, somewhat brash answers for the media, half the time the questions asked deserve it. I'm asking in regards to him screaming, spitting, snarling, glaring, and getting right up in the face of just about everyone.

Do you think it's childish/immature/whiney? Or maybe you think it's passionate/fired up? Do you think he could conduct himself better, do you think it's effective at something, do you think it's out of line, etc.

Sorry, my brain is tired. Hopefully that makes sense.

I gotcha and thanks for clarifying. It's funny but I do think it's just that Bo is passionate/fired up but at the same time I do think a lot of coaches out there could probably conduct themselves better. In the big scheme of things these are college kids. They have a lot on their plate. School, football, just figuring out life. I think sometimes lots of college coaches could tone it down a little but then again those same players getting screamed at probably got their butts chewed in high school too!

In Bo's case I think you have to remember there's a lot that you don't see. I think he's just as quick to let these guys know when they've done a good job as he is to get on them for making mistakes and I do think he cares deeply for his players.

Bo hasn't gotten any penalities from the zebras this year either so I'm hoping he continues that trend as well! Bo is a passionate guy and I think people know that. It's not about demeaning people with him so that's what I think you have to keep in mind. Just my .02 cents. :thumbs

• Fire 1

Unless Bo starts locking players in utility closets, or grabbing them by the throat, or making them call home back to their mommies and telling them that Bo is mean, I really don't think any of us should care. Bo has a ton of emotion and wears it on his sleeve. I too am a perfectionist and I too get angry when my guys who I am in charge of start dropping the figurative ball. I think the real anger comes from the bad calls from the officiating and maybe the only thing to do is strike a little fear into the minds of the refs. Honestly I won't be happy until Bo goes off on one of them. Don't care how long the suspension would be, but I'd love to see him drop a ref on a blotched call.

Am I along on this?

I really liked bo pelini, but after this game I have my issues with him now. Did we really loose to texas or did we give texas the game?? Hmmm thats something id like to knoe becuzz we beat kansas state and they kick texas butt to night.And next year I dont even think we win 5 games I think ohio state will beat us and thats a given I wonder why. I think after this game against iowa state showed alott about bo as a coach and iam not happy with it at all.

wow... <_<

It's like an aggro tuff tiger....but not nearly as entertaining.

You guys can say what u want.I call it how I see it. Theirs no way in hell this game should have been close like this. I guess iowa stae should be in the top 25 rite?? Anyways watch the game again and watch the play when niles fumbles the ball. anyways I dont wanna talk about it,bo gets are hopes up and then has players come out playing like this? I still think this game was fixxed thats just what I think and i dont care what anyone else thinks.I guess we will find out next year when we get smashed on against ohio state and them other teams. Bo wont let us beat ohio state lmao get outta here if u think that we are still a laughing stock and that pisses me off

Hammered?

I'm OK with his sideline demeanor. I think he's even toned it down since the first year.

If players start complaining about how they are treated then maybe we have an issue.

I'm more concerned about other aspects of his coaching- like burning timeouts on defense when you might need them later on offense, the team coming out flat, turnovers and penalties, I think we burned some red shirts that I think could've been saved.

All in all- year 3 and we are in the top 10. Why are people complaining?

he has shown improvement imo. yes he reverted yesterday, but as a whole he has been better. take the bad with the good. the simple fact of the matter that many nebraska fans might not want to admit is that while this is a good job, its not a a truly elite job. We got lucky to get a coach as good as Bo. We need to take the good with the bad. I think a lot of this goes back to TO and everyone expecting our coaches to live up to his standards. thats not going to happen. just like UCLA is never going to have another wooden. penn state will never have another Joe Pa. Indiana will never have another Bobby Knight. Be happy with what we have or we will end up with another Bill Callihan.

When will we learn?