KSU just got screwed by the hometown refs!

Score - turn - hand the ball to the ref. Did he do that? Nope! Therefore what he did was hotdogging it and he should have been flagged for it. That's it and that's all there is to it.

The hotdogging starts small then grows out of control. Nipping it at the bud before it can spread is the correct way of calling a game.

The nonsense is thinking his actions were okay. Enough of that wrongness.

Yes, act like an emotionless robot while playing in a bowl game and scoring a TD with a minute left to go.

Not throwing a flag on him isn't going to open the floodgates where we have players doing ridiculous celebrations, so please spare us the slippery slope argument.

There are times when the refs need to back off and let certain things go. This is one such situation. Just call blatant stuff when the game is on the line, let the players play and let the pieces fall where they may.

Did you guys just see the 15 yard celebration penalty against KSU? KSU scored with a minute to go and the WR saluted the crowd. He got tossed a 15 yard flag for excessive celebration. With that, the refs tacked on 15 yards on the two point conversion for the potential tie. Needless to say they didn't get it. I thought this call was friggen rediculous and I don't even like KSU but man they got screwed!

Making a gesture towards the crowd is supposed to be called for the penalty. The official did his job, the player did not. Turn and hand the ball to the ref and nothing happens.

I hate that celebration crap as much as I hate the Roll Tide commercials ESPN plays over and over and over and over. As jliehr said, Turn and hand the ball to the ref and nothing happens. It is just that simple.

How does a player NOT get excited after scoring a TD in the final minute to give his team a chance to tie. This is competitive sports.

Guys like Walter Paton, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Barry Sanders and so many others seemed to be able to pull it off on a consistant basis. The last things any sport needs are more Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, and other like them.

Saluting to the crowd isn't anything remotely like what Ochocinco and TO would do in their heyday.

The kid did nothing wrong. Plain and simple. He didn't take a cheerleader's pompoms, or pull out a sharpie and sign the ball, or pour popcorn into his helmet, or do an elaborate dance...

Come on with that nonsense.

Score - turn - hand the ball to the ref. Did he do that? Nope! Therefore what he did was hotdogging it and he should have been flagged for it. That's it and that's all there is to it.

The hotdogging starts small then grows out of control. Nipping it at the bud before it can spread is the correct way of calling a game.

The nonsense is thinking his actions were okay. Enough of that wrongness.

Then they need to call it ALL THE TIME! I don't agree with the new NBA rule of an automatic technical foul whenever you argue with the ref, but they call it all the time. Whether its Kobe Bryant or Kyle Korver, they still call it. The refs in college football don't call this rule on a consistent basis and that is wrong.

Did you guys just see the 15 yard celebration penalty against KSU? KSU scored with a minute to go and the WR saluted the crowd. He got tossed a 15 yard flag for excessive celebration. With that, the refs tacked on 15 yards on the two point conversion for the potential tie. Needless to say they didn't get it. I thought this call was friggen rediculous and I don't even like KSU but man they got screwed!

I'm still steaming about that! Especially since a Tennessee player just did the same thing and no one said a word!! That 'excessive celebration' penalty has to go. These are excited college boys. Good grief!! Even the ESPN folks were saying it was lame. LAMO!!!

Of course, if they would have kicked the field goal on the previous series instead of trying a fake, the penalty would be a moot point as they would have taken the penalty on the kickoff to get better field position. Or, on an even more logical stance, how about you learn how to play fricking defense???? haha

Yea, why play to win....?

There are a lot of 'what ifs' in football strategy, but it has nothing to do with bad ref calls.

When it happens in the game is irrelevant. If it is the rule, it's the rule in the first quarter as well as in the fourth.

As I said before, I like the rule. But it definetly sounds like the NCAA has to get a handle on how it is going to be enforced and what constitutes the penalty.

Always going to be a judgement call so it will always tick someone off.

I am against showboating and I have zero love for KSU, but that was a ridiculous call. It's not the fact that he celebrated - he did - it's that there were celebrations going on ALL GAME LONG that weren't called, yet that little teeny-tiny salute to the crowd was worth 15 yards?

The player was in the wrong for saluting. But the official was even more in the wrong for not having called that penalty all game long. If they're consistent about that call in the first quarter, the refs don't decide the game.

Stupid penalty.

I didn't see the play so I can't comment on this particular instance. But all in all, I love the rule. I'm so sick of watching these guys showboat in the endzone.

Act professional and like you've done it before. Hand the ball to the ref, high five or chest bump with your teammates (who by the way, probably are also responsible for you being in the end zone) and go back to the sideline.

Everyone should have to watch a highlight film of Walter Payton and how classy he was on the field, espically after he scored.

And yes, I am a crotchety old (well, maybe middle aged)fart.

But here you're simply stating that because you don't like something there should be rules demanding people to act the way you deem appropriate. Unsportsmanlike conduct should be frowned upon, a lot of people hate the 80's Miami teams because of it, but that's it. If a team is excessively celebrating you don't make rules to stop them you just say "wow, that guy's a dick" and move on with the game. These are 18-27(Weeden)year old kids, i'm sure they can handle another team mocking them and that's who the rule is meant to protect anyway.

I am not a fan of excessive celebrations (the Terrell Owens types), but this was a BAD call. I saw Justin Blackman run 30 yards across the field before crossing the goal line last night, basically taunting the other team, and no flag was thrown. That was much worse in my opinion. Players should be allowed a quick celebration, as long as it is just a show of emotion/excitement, and not aimed at disrespecting the opposing team.

So Jones from Tennesse does the Choppa City Juke and a salute and no flag.

Exactly. It is a dumb rule but that isn't the point. It is enforced with NO REAL LOGIC or CONSISTENCY!

K-State got jobbed. A jack wagon referee took the game out of the players' hands.

Don't give me the "letter of the law, he broke a rule" crap. Letter of the law there is pass interference and holding every play too.

At the biggest point of the game a referee made a call that isn't made very often and took the game away from the players. Someone should do this to him :nutz

Oh wah wah for the Big 12...I only want Nebraska to win! Screw the Big 12 (or little 10).

You say that but let me remind you that these were BIG 10 Officials who made the sh**ty call!