Cody Green to transfer?

I don't mean for this to sound all high and mighty, but come on you guys...this is just not at all fair to the kid.

People in this thread are projecting all sorts of things onto Cody Green that we don't know are true. Nobody here has a CLUE as to the real situation he is in, nobody even knows if it's about playing time. Do we know everything about Cody's personal life? Do we know his reasons for leaving? We know he offered to switch positions, do we know if the coaches refused to let him do that? Maybe some of the speculation is true that it's not a fair job and he won't ever be able to unseat T-Mart even if he had the ability to? Do we know anything other than the fact that he's leaving? Anything at all?

It's really quite disturbing to see people claim such things as Cody being a good politician (implying that he's deceiving or lying about his character to the media), being a quitter, being a bust (apparently physical performance on the field is the only thing that matters at Nebraska), and other things that we have absolutely no basis to say or assume are true about the young man.

• Fire 1

Does anyone think this may be because Brion Carnes has moved to number 2 in the depth chart? Cody had to know he'd ride behind Martinez coming into this season, seems to me like this might be because he got moved back another spot. Best of luck to him, I really respected his attitude and effort no matter how it paid off. Good luck.

Does anyone think this may be because Brion Carnes has moved to number 2 in the depth chart? Cody had to know he'd ride behind Martinez coming into this season, seems to me like this might be because he got moved back another spot. Best of luck to him, I really respected his attitude and effort no matter how it paid off. Good luck.

I think that's probably the main reason. Cody realized he wasn't going to see much time, especially because of the new offensive system Beck is brining in.

I don't blame him for transferring. These kids are competitors and when someone can't move up the depth chart (and even fall behind an underclassmen), no matter how hard they try in practice and in games, they start to doubt themselves whether they even have a shot to start let alone see the field. I'm sure Green realized that he won't be the starter as a Husker, so if he loves the game enough, he'll want to go somewhere where he can see the field and actually play, and not stand on the sidelines signalling in plays. Wish him the best.

I don't mean for this to sound all high and mighty, but come on you guys...this is just not at all fair to the kid.

People in this thread are projecting all sorts of things onto Cody Green that we don't know are true. Nobody here has a CLUE as to the real situation he is in, nobody even knows if it's about playing time. Do we know everything about Cody's personal life? Do we know his reasons for leaving? We know he offered to switch positions, do we know if the coaches refused to let him do that? Maybe some of the speculation is true that it's not a fair job and he won't ever be able to unseat T-Mart even if he had the ability to? Do we know anything other than the fact that he's leaving? Anything at all?

It's really quite disturbing to see people claim such things as Cody being a good politician (implying that he's deceiving or lying about his character to the media), being a quitter, being a bust (apparently physical performance on the field is the only thing that matters at Nebraska), and other things that we have absolutely no basis to say or assume are true about the young man.

I don't have a problem with Cody Green transferring. I don't have a problem if his reason is lack of playing time.

However, if people are going to criticize Martinez for being the subject of rumors regarding transfer, and then turn around and call Cody Green a "team player" as he's walking out the door - I think it's ok to point out that hypocrisy.

When I said that Cody was a good politician, I didn't mean that as a criticism. All I meant was that he knows what to say and how to act in public (unlike Coach Pelini, and unlike Taylor Martinez, who both have virtually no clue). Also like a politician and any human being, Cody Green doesn't quite live up to his really nice rhetoric ("I don't care if I'm the starter, I'm just here to do whatever I can to help the team").

Anyways, I have no problem with Cody Green. I'm sure he's doing what's best for him. My problem is with the hypocrisy of how people react to the news that Green is leaving, compared to how they reacted to the mere rumor of Martinez leaving.

• Fire 1

Here's why it is different. Cody Green came in here and competed for two years, after which, being overtaken by two younger teammates and lost in an offense change, he had better opportunities elsewhere. Supposing the rumors are true (you can argue it's a big if, but we are after all comparing the hypothetical TM situation with Cody's recent actual transfer), Taylor was displeased enough with not winning the starting job as a freshman over a senior that he started packing his bags. Cody is staring down the end of his career. Taylor's was just getting started. It might be comparable if Cody was thinking about transferring after not winning the job last year, but Cody was a complete pro about it.

Who knows if that's true or not, but I think we can agree that a young player that comes in and demands to start at QB or else leave is different from a guy who has competed, lost out, and wants a better fit to finish his college career.

Cody deserves a better situation and it isn't remotely comparable to signing up for military service. That's pretty harsh, skersfan, in my opinion ;) Your honorable years of service are highly respected, but Cody did not have a similar commitment to serve Nebraska: just an opportunity to play here, and now that vacated spot will go to someone else. It is the best for both sides, and college teams actually benefit from some upperclass attrition to the point where they encourage it with some guys. Did that happen here, hard to say, but probably not. Nonetheless, it means a player seeking a transfer for better opportunities should not be criticized on those grounds. It's all a part of how things work.

Let's further address the hypothetical of, if Taylor is beat out this year. He absolutely could transfer and I would have no problems with it. I actually have no problem with Tyler Gabbert getting beat out by another young player and leaving Missouri either, or when Forcier was beatout by (class-mate?) D-Rob and left. If Taylor Martinez had actually gone through with quitting on the team last fall camp though, the most analogous situation would have been Harrison Beck. And we all would have thought of it the same way.

But he didn't, so. That counts for something.

• Fire 3

Um, guys, water's wet, the sky's blue, and it was pretty evident, that aside from T-Mart spontaneously bursting into flames, that Green was probably never going to get the shot he really deserved. I'm really surprised this didn't' happen earlier. It's a case of wrong place, wrong time. If the kid wants a chance somewhere else, that's his right.

Not too mention, I remember the times Green would come in games, and the entire "game threads" would utter a collective groan. I know for a fact because I did it a couple times my self.

That being said, be courteous, thank the kid for his time here. Don't act like a 2nd grader that didn't get his way, so he's taking his ball and going home. It's over and done and calling folks names isn't going to change anything.

Well so much for the political correct crap.

If Martinez had quit today 90% of you would be throwing him under the bus, Green quits, oh what a nice guy. Bull$hit. He QUIT, He is leaving us high and dry, because he failed to do what he was recruited for. Nebraska kept him for three years, he never gave us three years of service.

You start something, you finish, not pull up your panites and run some where else, where he will fail just like every one of them have so far. He is not a division one QB, we carried him to honor our commitment, he leaves. Loyalty, honor, dedication are words that have meanings. Learn them Cody, you will need them in life.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!!!

BA BYE!!!!!

Seriously????? Did you think the same thing about DTray or Kody Spano. Spano never played a down, I suppose you call him a quiter too. Where did Green fail to do what he was recruited for??? He is technically 4-0 as a starter, he saved our bacon when we needed him too. I highly doubt Kellogg wouldve been able to beat ISU and CU. If he didnt give us three years of service, how is he leaving us high and dry???

4-0??

Baylor - LOL, it's Baylor, and he almost lost it for us in the second half.

Oklahoma - He was benched right away.

ISU - LOL, it's ISU, and Burkhead was the best QB on the team that day.

Colorado - LOL, it's Colorado, and Burkhead was the best QB on the team that day.

That 4-0 stat really means nothing.

Well so much for the political correct crap.

If Martinez had quit today 90% of you would be throwing him under the bus, Green quits, oh what a nice guy. Bull$hit. He QUIT, He is leaving us high and dry, because he failed to do what he was recruited for. Nebraska kept him for three years, he never gave us three years of service.

You start something, you finish, not pull up your panites and run some where else, where he will fail just like every one of them have so far. He is not a division one QB, we carried him to honor our commitment, he leaves. Loyalty, honor, dedication are words that have meanings. Learn them Cody, you will need them in life.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!!!

BA BYE!!!!!

Seriously????? Did you think the same thing about DTray or Kody Spano. Spano never played a down, I suppose you call him a quiter too. Where did Green fail to do what he was recruited for??? He is technically 4-0 as a starter, he saved our bacon when we needed him too. I highly doubt Kellogg wouldve been able to beat ISU and CU. If he didnt give us three years of service, how is he leaving us high and dry???

4-0??

Baylor - LOL, it's Baylor, and he almost lost it for us in the second half.

Oklahoma - He was benched right away.

ISU - LOL, it's ISU, and Burkhead was the best QB on the team that day.

Colorado - LOL, it's Colorado, and Burkhead was the best QB on the team that day.

That 4-0 stat really means nothing.

I said he was TECHNICALLY 4-0. No he didnt anything outstanding to win those games for us, but he didnt lose them either. A win as a starter is still a win.

If we had lost all those games, everybody would claiming how Green was a terrible QB. Just like how people claim Martinez has lead us to 10 wins, when actually its only 8.

Since you claim to be his friend. Then you know he did have the opportunity to switch to his choice of two different positions that we are lacking depth, one of which he probably could been a major contributor at by B10 play and a starter next year. It was going to take some dedication but they were real chances. I think the only thing I fault Cody on is saying he'd be willing to do one thing publicly when he wasn't. But I'll give him a pass as I myself have done that a dozen times in my life. I have a "back up" plan and then when I see all the requirements of it that I hadn't considered on the surface I scrap the whole idea and go an alternate direction. I think that's what is happening here.

I know doing past interviews with players with I was in the media I had talked to players who had transferred from NU for another opportunity. Most said they regretted leaving NU and wish they had stayed and contributed what they could have. There was a LB back in 99 Chris something from AZ who was a Sophomore. He had worked his way up from #5 to co #2 during spring and was sure he deserved to be #1 and the coaches were keeping him from the NFL. He transferred to Northern Iowa. He planed to be there one year and then transfer back to D1. He never cracked the top 3 there. Odly he actually would have played more here and been happier.

And sipple is smoking crack if he thinks CG ends up at Boise.

Since you claim to be his friend. Then you know he did have the opportunity to switch to his choice of two different positions that we are lacking depth, one of which he probably could been a major contributor at by B10 play and a starter next year. It was going to take some dedication but they were real chances. I think the only thing I fault Cody on is saying he'd be willing to do one thing publicly when he wasn't. But I'll give him a pass as I myself have done that a dozen times in my life. I have a "back up" plan and then when I see all the requirements of it that I hadn't considered on the surface I scrap the whole idea and go an alternate direction. I think that's what is happening here.

I know doing past interviews with players with I was in the media I had talked to players who had transferred from NU for another opportunity. Most said they regretted leaving NU and wish they had stayed and contributed what they could have. There was a LB back in 99 Chris something from AZ who was a Sophomore. He had worked his way up from #5 to co #2 during spring and was sure he deserved to be #1 and the coaches were keeping him from the NFL. He transferred to Northern Iowa. He planed to be there one year and then transfer back to D1. He never cracked the top 3 there. Odly he actually would have played more here and been happier.

And sipple is smoking crack if he thinks CG ends up at Boise.

I've never got the chance to talk to him about it, but what I've heard is that he really wanted to switch positions, but the staff said "no, we need you at quarterback."

I think it's a bit premature to transfer. He has had chances, he just hasn't done real well with them. I agree that we gave him a scholly, food, team apparel, tutoring, plane rides to games, interviews, adulation, highlights at games on the jumbotron, etc, etc...in other words he was a product and we invested in making that product better, it's just that it didn't appear he was quite ever a finished product. After all the Univ invested in him, don't you think he could've stayed and maybe fulfilled some return on that investment? I always cheered for him and wished he wouldn't have been put in on his own goal line all the time, but the fact is, he wasn't really panning out.

that said, what if he was an amazing QB here for 3 years and won us couple CC's and had a record of 26-6 and decided to go to the NFL early would we raise such a stink? Probly not, but since he kinda didn't live up to expectations, it kinda seems like he's bailing on us a little bit. But i'm not going to call him a "loser" or a "quitter" like the marine, even though I love my Huskers, I won't judge a person that harshly at that young of an age.

I'll just move on.