Cody Green to transfer?

"Nobody ever confirmed that Taylor quit the team in August, and then came back." Yes, but lest you forget, the people who brought this up are comparing Green's actual departure to the hypothetical of Taylor's quitting.

NO. I'm not comparing it to the hypothetical of Taylor quitting. I'm comparing it to the actual, real-life situation where Taylor didn't quit, and everyone still hated on him.

Taylor may have come in as an athlete, but he came to Nebraska because he was promised a chance at QB. He stuck it out for a year at WR in order to get it. It's not the exact opposite of Cody not playing another position, but the two situations are comparable.

I'm also not talking specifically about you Zoogies, or how you treated Martinez transferring. However, I think it's fair to say that the majority of the fan base has a less than favorable view of Martinez, and I think that view is partially based on the rumors of him transferring, which turned out to be false. I'm not asking people, "How would you react if Martinez left?" I'm comparing their actual, real-life reaction to the rumors surrounding Martinez to their actual, real-life reaction to Cody Green actually leaving.

I think it's fair to say that the fan base as a whole is hypocritical when it still looks down on Martinez (when he didn't transfer) compared to wishing Cody Green well on his way out the door.

Now, to actually play out a hypothetical not really related to that discussion, I don't think it makes it worse for a player to leave mid-season. I mean, if Martinez were to leave at the end of last season, I think it'd be fair to say it would have been because he was a freshman trying to play hurt and he was getting torn to shreds by the entire state who wanted to see him in early-season form. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to leave. I can't blame any guy who is getting the playing time/opportunity he wants and still wants to leave, because then obviously it's just a bad fit. The Cody Green situation is more irksome to me, because it's like he's leaving because he doesn't want to compete and win the job he came here for, and he doesn't want to help the team by playing somewhere else on the field. I still understand that, I sympathize with him and wish him well, but I definitely don't think it's better than other "transfer situations."

Again did he finish those games, was he on the field because he was the best or because we had injuries that allowed(forced) him to be there.

Some have seen his ability, I just never have and neither has the staff. He was given many chances and never made it. He knows he is not good enough to play at Nebraska and is hoping he can catch on someplace else. Best bet is that he won't.

You can defend him all day long, we will just have to agree to disagree. I have no use for quitters. To some that is not a big deal. In my line of work people die when people quit, so therefore my tolerance for them is nil.

My apologies, I thought that your prediction was that he would never take meaningful snaps, not that he would be on the field because he was the best, finish games and be the best quarterback on the roster. I understand though, easy mistake to make, they are essentially the exact same thing.

Good lord people. The hate and vitriol some are spewing over Green choosing to leave is amazing. Step back a sec and look at it from his point of view. He wants to play QB, there is only one starting QB on a team, and with the change in OC, it is less suited to his skill set. I wouldn't call it 'quitting' He's just looking for an opportunity to play. Right now he may only end up second string, he goes elsewhere he may well start. Maybe he has an NFL future, but odds say he doesnt. Let the man pursue a dream of playing QB, and wish him the best of luck (Unless he is playing against NU, then he can throw some picks)

• Fire 1

Good lord people. The hate and vitriol some are spewing over Green choosing to leave is amazing. Step back a sec and look at it from his point of view. He wants to play QB, there is only one starting QB on a team, and with the change in OC, it is less suited to his skill set. I wouldn't call it 'quitting' He's just looking for an opportunity to play. Right now he may only end up second string, he goes elsewhere he may well start. Maybe he has an NFL future, but odds say he doesnt. Let the man pursue a dream of playing QB, and wish him the best of luck (Unless he is playing against NU, then he can throw some picks)

NO, F*CK THAT, HE'S GOT TO STAY HERE, USE UP THE REST OF HIS ELIGIBILITY, AND HOPE THAT THE GUY IN FRONT OF HIM GETS HURT!!!!!!! THATS HOW ITS DONE, HE'S A BIG F'N QUITTER, LOSER AND A DISGRACE TO THE PROGRAM!!!!!!!!!

• Fire 1

I agree. To those that are hammering Cody, I want to know their thoughts on Scott Frost. If Cody is a quitter, Scott is a quitter. Scott led the Huskers to a national title. Most on this board were hoping he would even come back as a coach this offseason.

Let Cody go, wish him well. This didn't work out like everyone hoped it would, but it doesn't mean it can't work out for him elsewhere. Life is short and we only get one ride on this merry-go-round.

26 years in the Marine Corps makes my ideas of loyalty different than yours I guess, but to me a quitter is a quitter. He signed to play for Nebraska, he is not good enough, but we did not kick him to curb, we honor our side, he doesn't.

Spano did not quit, he was force do stop playing due to injury, totally a different thing.

Leaving us high and dry when you are number two QB with an injury prome starter, yea I think that qualifies.

Hey he may be a great guy, who cares, he quit when we truly needed him.

Trust me if Taylor had quit today the tone would be totally different about him. The two are no different, the signed to play for Nebraska. One stays one quits. Not much lower than a quitter to me. Winners never quit, quitters never win.

He will move on to another program and never start a game, never be more than he was here. He does not have the ability we wasted a scholarship on. That happens every single year at every single program. But most finish it out, stick by their choices.

I wish him luck, at what ever he does, but I have no undying love or respect for him.

Put Martinez in this and this would be the standard post, we all know it. Truth is truth.

Sometimes players might feel that no matter the effort they give they are not being given a fair shake. There were time in game last year that teams took away Taylors running abuility forcing him to throw and he couldnt and didnt. Taylor had games were the normal QB should have been pulled and he was not. I know he came in last year and played poorly in time but the odds were against him in most of the relief oppurtunities he got. Lets also keep in mind that the OC that was responsible for helping develop the talent of these player is no longer with the program. I agree that you shouldnt quit on your team but also understand CFB is more a business than anything else. Everyone is looking to do what is best for themselves. Some one already made the statement that he is the number two QB in this thread and I havent seen a depth chart released. Maybe he got that same feeling, maybe he feels like he is doing all he can do and there not an open competition for the job. With all due respect all I saw from him as he played was loyalty he never pouted or acted like he got a raw deal. However him playing FB is not the same as being in the military, CFB is a extra curricular sport. When the team needed him he was there. No matter what people think these kid come to college to play not to warm the bench. If he think he can Lebron his talents some where else I rather he go. Go to Bo be a man and ask for the release.

Just stopping by to see how the Cody Green character assassination was going. Although it looks like the thread is heading that way, I am pleasantly surprised that most people aren't killing the kid.

i would say something witty but people will get all angsty about me being mean.

Does anyone think this may be because Brion Carnes has moved to number 2 in the depth chart?

Here's the thing - the coaches don't have direct contact with players right now. So there are only two possibilities for this assumption to be true right now. The first is that the coaches put together a post spring depth chart or spoke to every single player and told them where they were on the team right now. Second - the coaches, using information from summer workouts and from people who are in contact with players, told Green he was below Carnes and Martinez right now.

Both of these reasons have fallacies, however. First, I highly doubt the coaches put together a post spring depth chart before summer workouts. The depth chart is decided in the fall. Why would they blatantly tell Green he is #3 after 15 practices, a slew of summer workouts to go and a full fall camp? They live and breathe competition. Maybe they did tell him this in order to give him a competitive edge, but it just doesn't fit right with me.

And the second reason I said is just ridiculous. Why would a coach use another person's opinion to tell Green he is #3? Just wouldn't happen imho.

I think, if anything, Green knows the offensive direction isn't where it should be for him to succeed. Perhaps he also just thinks he doesn't have what it takes to be the best quarterback on this team.

Did Nebraska go back on their word and tell him he would be dropped due to his inability to do the job recruited for?

No one said he would die, I said I have no use for people who quit. This is all about Cody, no consideration for anyone else. Typical me attitude. Sweep it under the table, but I think basically it was a power play that blew up in his face. Now he has no recourse.

Quitters never win, winners never quit. I have lived by that since I was in the 9th grade. I always will.

Semper Fi

Do you have a son or daughter, skersfan? The only reason I'm asking is because I highly doubt you'd have this same opinion if Green was your son.

Your attitude just doesn't make sense. I've already pointed out to you once before that players who 'quit' on one team (Cam Newton) go on to be successful with another. And as another poster pointed out, we had a quarterback in '96 and '97 who 'quit' on one team and came here because he thought it was the right move. Are you saying Scott Frost is a quitter with no consideration for anyone else? Obviously he was cocky, as is any great quarterback. But come on...really?

I'm not going to try and tell you your ideology is wrong because obviously it's been ground into you from a young age. But think logically about this. Your entire opinion on the situation is just that - opinion. You think Green is looking out for number one. He probably is, but I can't fault him for it. He has two years of eligibility left and you want him to suck it up at Nebraska if he's sure in his heart and mind he will never be the starter?

You're essentially saying you'd never quit a job if you didn't think you could be successful and get where you want to get.

Lebron James quit Cleveland and is in the NBA finals. I guess quitters never win though...

I guess we should also question how his parents raised him, like some did the Gabberts?

Or call him a spoiled brat and a sore loser, as many have called Martinez.

My response to both of these posts: I missed the part where he ever acted wishy washy, spoiled, or immature. That is what separates these other two situations with the Green situation. He has always been a team player, mature, works hard, and has made informed decisions.

People thought Martinez was wishy washy, spoiled, and immature because of the rumors about him transferring. Cody Green is actually transferring. I don't think either player is spoiled or immature, just trying to point out the pretty blatant hypocrisy in the fan base's reaction.

It's not even the same. Cody has had two years worth of being a last-case scenario and has done it with a smile. He's been quoted repeatedly saying that he doesn't care what his role is, just so long as he helps the team. How many shots of him have you seen of him helping signal plays in with a headset with just as much zeal as if he were the starter? (See also Zac Lee and Kody Spano.)

Cody leaving is not an immature, "I'm taking my ball and going home" reaction, it's a sobering recognition that he wants to play and will almost certainly not have that opportunity here. As much as people think this speaks volumes about Carnes, it's more likely that it speaks to RK III, who may have passed Green on the depth chart to get the #3 spot.

Meanwhile, when he is sidelined for whatever reason, Martinez acts disinterested and seems totally aloof. There's been enough smoke to suspect there is at least something smoldering there with regard to his less-than-stellar attitude.

In sum, there is no doubt Cody loves the Huskers, and his transfer is clearly about looking for his best opportunity so that he can play someday. Martinez's apparent transfer threat was more about him not getting his way.

Edit: Let's put it this way:

There is a decent chance Martinez would transfer the SECOND he was bumped down to #2.

CG is transferring now that he is #3 or #4, with no hope of ever being the starter. Big, big difference folks.

haha, the only difference between the two situations is that Cody is actually transferring, and Martinez isn't. You can try to spin it any other way you want, but you're just going to be talking out of your ass.

Rumors about Martinez transferring = what a jerk, what a spoiled brat, selfish, not a team player.

Cody Green actually transferring = Wish him well, what a nice guy, always a great team player.

He's been quoted repeatedly saying that he doesn't care what his role is, just so long as he helps the team.

I don't care that he's been quoted saying that, or that he smiles all nice-like when he's on the sideline or in front of the press. That stuff just makes him a better politician than Martinez. At the end of the day, it's not true - he's not helping our QB depth, he's not moving to TE or WR, he's not acting as a leader/coach on the sidelines - he's leaving. You can't help the team from another campus.

Again, I understand Cody's decision, sympathize with him, and wish him well. But the entire reaction to this situation has pretty much validated my view that people are backing one QB over another because of personal biases and very little more.

For the record, I don't really place a lot of my distrust of Martinez on the transfer rumors. I put it on the fact that he generally acts like an aloof jackass who thinks he's the sh#t, but is mediocre at best the second he joins the other 99% of athletes who, by season's end, have some degree of injury to their knee/ankle/shoulder/foot.

There is little doubt that the kid has an attitude problem and you can make that case to a thousand jurors without ever introducing any evidence of the transfer rumors. There is a prima donna element to his attitude without a doubt.

The fact is that Cody has taken the high road during the past two seasons of being put on the back burner. He took it in stride in 2009 and again in 2010, starting just 4 games in two seasons. When it was clear that was going to be the #3 or #4 in 2011, he realized that he had better opportunities elsewhere if he wanted to play, which he has every right to do.

I have virtually no doubt that Martinez would spend exactly one week at #2 on the depth chart behind a QB the coaches thought was superior before he would call it quits and pack up. I mean, for crying out loud, the Martinez camp was bitching and moaning about him being pulled in the Texas game.

There is basically a zero percent chance that Martinez would stay at Nebraska for the remainder of his career as a #2 QB behind, say, Brion Carnes or Bubba Starling. Cody's done that or worse for the past two years, without even coming close to being a disgruntled cancer in the locker room, which is more than Martinez can say while he was the STARTER. That makes the situation a bit different in this man's opinion.

Martinez is to Tate Forcier, what Green is to Joe Dailey.

im sorry dude but its pretty clear that you only know about martinez what the media has told you and that is 99% false. actually go meet him or talk to some of his teammates about him and you will know that martinez is none of the above state crap. he gets a bad rep because people that dont even know him push crap like this on message boards.

Maybe. But the question I ask is why the "media" would feel inclined to manufacture something that isn't there? It's not like Shatel and the boys are chillin' at a secret meeting with coffee in styrofoam cups and cigarettes aplenty and discuss how they are all going to portray Martinez as a loner with an ego, when in reality he is a saint. It just doesn't add up. Perhaps the media is exaggerating things, but there is definitely something there that got the ball rolling.

I guess the bottom line for many of us is that we see Cody Green as a team player sort of kid who hung in as long as he could until he had to start thinking for himself before his college career was completely gone. Many of us also get the sense that Martinez has a bit of a "me first" streak in him, which is great when he's helping us win games, but not so helpful if things ever turn out so that he is not our #1 option.

I, personally, have no hard feelings for Cody and wish him the best. I am sure he is as disappointed as can be. I have no hate in my heart for Martinez either. I just hope that for his sake and for our sakes, he has been able to develop--or, for those who believe he already had it, express--a team-first attitude.

Edit: Just read Zoogies last post. I agree with just about all of it. I personally did not hold any resentment for Taylor when the initial transfer rumors came out. However, those initial rumors--a move that was seemingly understandable at the time--turned sour when the second bout of transfer rumors floated around, combined with a little bit of what I've seen of his attitude.

Now, if Martinez is ever passed by [iNSERT QB HERE] and drops to #2 on the depth chart and appears that he will be staying there, I will understand if he transfers. I'll hope that he finds whatever he's looking for down the road, but it won't be a, "Thanks for the memories" type of send off like I think Cody deserves. It will more be like a mutual parting of ways, similar to how I felt when Watson left. A bit of a "good riddance" type of deal, but maybe a little less harsh.

Cody Green in my book gets an Honorable Discharge from the Huskers; Martinez, if he left in a huff because he thought he should be the best man, would get a Discharge.

And perhaps that's it: Implicit in Green's actions has been the recognition not only that he isn't #1 on the coaches' depth chart, but that perhaps he shouldn't be. I get the sense that in Martinez's mind, he should always be #1 here and will accept nothing less.

Hujan, 99% of skilled players do not play at all with a turf toe on one leg & bad ankle on the other. You implying that it's just a minor injury that should be played through with little problems is totally wrong.

My God, you're actually asking why the media would exaggerate or distort any possible bad "news"? Wow......were you born yesterday?

Lastly, where are the facts that "Tmart acts like an aloof jackass who thinks he's the sh#t"?

"Nobody ever confirmed that Taylor quit the team in August, and then came back." Yes, but lest you forget, the people who brought this up are comparing Green's actual departure to the hypothetical of Taylor's quitting.

NO. I'm not comparing it to the hypothetical of Taylor quitting. I'm comparing it to the actual, real-life situation where Taylor didn't quit, and everyone still hated on him.

Hercules, I think we are mixing up meanings when we talk about 'hypothetical' here, and I apologize for it.

When I say people are comparing to a hypothetical, I'm referring to the hypothetical situation where Taylor left the team in August and then ended up back with the team. I guess I should call it a rumor instead. Not talking about the hypothetical 'what-if' Taylor transferred, but the possibly true, possibly untrue claims that he had his bags all packed up last training camp.

The argument I've seen is: people got worked up about Taylor for what possibly happened in August, and Green actually is transferring, so why don't these people apply the same standards for Cody. An argument that implies Cody actually went through and did what Taylor was criticized for being close to doing (supposedly). I am simply trying to illustrate that the choice Cody has actually gone and made now, and what Taylor was (supposedly) considering back then, are not remotely similar. Hence, the different responses.

It's as you say:

I'm comparing their actual, real-life reaction to the rumors surrounding Martinez to their actual, real-life reaction to Cody Green actually leaving.

And it's as I say: Taylor or Cody leaving then under those circumstances last year would have garnered similar reaction. It is a completely different story now, with the breakout year Taylor had and Carnes' strong spring, and Cody facing the last two years of his career.

Taylor may have come in as an athlete, but he came to Nebraska because he was promised a chance at QB. He stuck it out for a year at WR in order to get it. It's not the exact opposite of Cody not playing another position, but the two situations are comparable.

Taylor 'stuck it out' as a WR here for a year because he couldn't find another D1 school to give him a more solid shot at QB. If he had, he would never have bothered coming here. Credit the kid for sticking through that and emerging as a playmaker though.

To your last point, if a player tries to find a better opportunity for himself, I wish him all the best. But it is very hard to look at a player leaving the team mid-season as anything but a quitter. I agree that it's tough and you shouldn't be too harsh on a kid for not being able to handle it, but that would be a case where you really let your team down and it's not OK. Cody wants to compete I am sure, but this is a chance that has passed him by. He's not going to leap Brion or Taylor, and the direction we seem to be going in on offense probably favors shiftier guys than he at QB. I feel probably the same way you do regarding his unwillingness to try out another position (hey, Matt Cassel played TE at USC briefly). Don't get me wrong, I wish him the best and all, but only the guys that do stick through tough situations like this would get the "wow, what a real team player" treatment going forward, something Cody can no longer lay claim to.

But while he was here, he played the good soldier through thick and thin. For the most part.

I don't think we really look at this that differently :)

Can't we all just get along? :) Good Luck to Cody, thanks for your time here and best of luck at your new school. Now- let's go marinate and grill some Memorial day food and remember those brave SOB's that have sacrificed everything to keep us free and safe.

• Fire 1

its too bad really, losing a guy with game experience does hurt, but for Cody's sake it was probably better off he did go somewhere else to see if he could succeed, he has had a tough go at it, but he has kept his head up and I applaud his efforts at NU. Good luck Cody!