Phillip Dillard calls for the replacement of Martinez at QB

Brion Carnes should be starting right now. Martinez can lose you a game faster than winning you one. Carnes is still a good runner and by far the better passer. Have Carnes hand the ball off to our great backfield, and play action out of the spread or under center to our playmakers at wideout and tight end.

Ill take consistency over a few big runs a game. People will still say he has more experience, he's SO fast, who gives a shi* the kid can't play QB at this level. Pelini won't take him out as we've seen, even when he has one ankle.

No, he shouldn't. Give me one valid reason that favors Carnes starting over Martinez this weekend. All you know about Carnes is that he's a freshman and he had a good practice spring game

You have no idea how good of a passer Carnes is. I would agree that he looked better in the spring game, but that was the spring game. Your gameplan for successfully using Carnes is the exact gameplan I've been saying we should be using with Martinez - hand the ball off and use play action to get the ball to our receivers.

The truth of the matter is that we don't know what kind of a player Carnes is yet, and he needs mental reps more than anything else right now. What happens if Carnes comes in and struggles? Do we go back to flip-flopping quarterbacks like we did all year in 2009, and risk shattering Carnes confidence like we practically did with Green?

It's a dangerous game doing what you're suggesting. This staff has already made quarterback mistakes in the past, and I'm sure they're not keen on doing it again anytime soon.

50% pass completion 4 TDs 5 INTs, lost count on fumbles (This is awful especially because Wisconsin is the only good team we've played so far).

No idea how you don't think Carnes should get a shot to be the starter??

That doesn't support your argument at all. That just says why you don't like Martinez as a starter.

The truth of the matter is you have no evidence to suggest that Carnes will do any better. And as I've said before, there's absolutely no evidence to suggest that Carnes is ready to play at this level. Quarterback or not...not many freshman are. If he does worse, you open a real hellish problem for this team. It's not worth it, especially when there's no reason to suggest Martinez can't win us games, especially when he had some solid performances this year.

I have seen enough from Martinez to know we can win games with him if we play the right way, which is how any offense should be run - you play to what your quarterback does well.

No matter what, putting Carnes in sets this offense back and there is absolutely no way to deny this. He's young and he has barely any game experience.

Brion Carnes should be starting right now. Martinez can lose you a game faster than winning you one. Carnes is still a good runner and by far the better passer. Have Carnes hand the ball off to our great backfield, and play action out of the spread or under center to our playmakers at wideout and tight end.

Ill take consistency over a few big runs a game. People will still say he has more experience, he's SO fast, who gives a shi* the kid can't play QB at this level. Pelini won't take him out as we've seen, even when he has one ankle.

No, he shouldn't. Give me one valid reason that favors Carnes starting over Martinez this weekend. All you know about Carnes is that he's a freshman and he had a good practice spring game

You have no idea how good of a passer Carnes is. I would agree that he looked better in the spring game, but that was the spring game. Your gameplan for successfully using Carnes is the exact gameplan I've been saying we should be using with Martinez - hand the ball off and use play action to get the ball to our receivers.

The truth of the matter is that we don't know what kind of a player Carnes is yet, and he needs mental reps more than anything else right now. What happens if Carnes comes in and struggles? Do we go back to flip-flopping quarterbacks like we did all year in 2009, and risk shattering Carnes confidence like we practically did with Green?

It's a dangerous game doing what you're suggesting. This staff has already made quarterback mistakes in the past, and I'm sure they're not keen on doing it again anytime soon.

50% pass completion 4 TDs 5 INTs, lost count on fumbles (This is awful especially because Wisconsin is the only good team we've played so far).

That doesn't support your argument at all. That just says why you don't like Martinez as a starter.

The truth of the matter is you have no evidence to suggest that Carnes will do any better. And as I've said before, there's absolutely no evidence to suggest that Carnes is ready to play at this level. Quarterback or not...not many freshman are. If he does worse, you open a real hellish problem for this team. It's not worth it, especially when there's no reason to suggest Martinez can't win us games, especially when he had some solid performances this year.

I have seen enough from Martinez to know we can win games with him if we play the right way, which is how any offense should be run - you play to what your quarterback does well.

No matter what, putting Carnes in sets this offense back and there is absolutely no way to deny this. He's young and he has barely any game experience.

Well he is a redshirt freshman. Still a freshman sure, but he has had a year in the system already. And really there is no evidence to prove that he is not ready...we haven't seen enough, because for some reason we can't get enough game experience for backups. I am not for or against Martinez being replaced by Carnes just to clarify. At this point in time I think we all just need to wait and see what happens. But Dillard should have called out the coaches and the defense in my opinion.

And really there is no evidence to prove that he is not ready...we haven't seen enough, because for some reason we can't get enough game experience for backups.

We have Bo's quote. :dunno

That is true...like I said I am not for or against replacing Martinez. The thing is I have to trust Bo that what he says is true. It is nothing against Bo, but I really have a hard time believing anything Bo says. Bo didn't believe David was ready to play either, but once he got in he made plays and Bo was still saying he was out of position when he made those plays. The no evidence that Carnes isn't ready, that I was talking about, was about making plays in games. The David reference is probably a minority...I know that most players won't turn out like him, but sometimes it is worth a shot to find out.

I just believe that some guys are good in practice, but not very good in games. Then you have guys that aren't that good in practice, but make plays in the game. I think Bo puts too much stock into practice and knowing the schemes (which he should put quite a bit of stock into), but he puts way too much on it.

Well he is a redshirt freshman. Still a freshman sure, but he has had a year in the system already. And really there is no evidence to prove that he is not ready...we haven't seen enough, because for some reason we can't get enough game experience for backups. I am not for or against Martinez being replaced by Carnes just to clarify. At this point in time I think we all just need to wait and see what happens. But Dillard should have called out the coaches and the defense in my opinion.

Well I guess by the way I look at it - Martinez, as a redshirt freshman, beat out a senior. Carnes, as a redshirt freshman, couldn't beat out a sophomore. And If I'm not mistaken Bo has said Carnes isn't ready.

I agree with you about Dillard, though.

That is true...like I said I am not for or against replacing Martinez. The thing is I have to trust Bo that what he says is true. It is nothing against Bo, but I really have a hard time believing anything Bo says. Bo didn't believe David was ready to play either, but once he got in he made plays and Bo was still saying he was out of position when he made those plays. The no evidence that Carnes isn't ready, that I was talking about, was about making plays in games. The David reference is probably a minority...I know that most players won't turn out like him, but sometimes it is worth a shot to find out.

I just believe that some guys are good in practice, but not very good in games. Then you have guys that aren't that good in practice, but make plays in the game. I think Bo puts too much stock into practice and knowing the schemes (which he should put quite a bit of stock into), but he puts way too much on it.

I hear you about not believing what Bo says. We all know how his "injury reports" go. And the practice warrior / game disaster guy is a factor, too. I get where you're coming from.

Well I guess by the way I look at it - Martinez, as a redshirt freshman, beat out a senior. Carnes, as a redshirt freshman, couldn't beat out a sophomore. And If I'm not mistaken Bo has said Carnes isn't ready.

I agree with you about Dillard, though.

That is also a good point...the thing I see from Bo is that he is willing to give young guys a shot if he believes they are ready. So I should trust that he is right. Bo has probably forgotten more about football then I will ever know about football. I really wish we could see more of the backups in garbage time to see what they can do and give them experience. Maybe the depth isn't actually there though?

These comments went on for weeks. Even after David continued to make play after play. Good point I hadn't even thought about.

These comments went on for weeks. Even after David continued to make play after play. Good point I hadn't even thought about.

The funny thing is he was out of position...I only noticed a few times and I am sure Bo saw it more times then I did. But athletically he was able to make up for it. I have to keep it in perspective that David is probably an exception and not the rule, so I don't want anyone to think that Carnes could do the same type of things at the QB position. I just wanted to say it is a possibility.

No, but I never advocated the channel of communication used, and I probably should had clarified that. And I'll agree that the tone of Dillard's message leaves something to be desired, but it's truly not that different than what we've discussed here or what has been discussed on the radio by other former players.

Hell, we had a whole thread dedicated to comparing Martinez's throwing style to that of Uncle Rico's. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the passing prowess of the player being compared to said fictional character, to say the least.

But that's just it. I have ZERO problem with what Dillard said. I have a problem WHERE he said it. Say it to Taylor, say it to your teammates, or say it to the guys currently on the team. But don't say it to the public, because it's none of the public's business.

But his play is public record. Nobody had qualms when people (some on this board) were talking badly about the '07 defense, even when former players isolated Suh out for being blown off the ball against USC.

I don't care for the way Dillard expressed himself, but there should not be a double standard for any player. edit: (i.e. Niles Paul last year)

"It is better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt" -Abraham Lincoln

PhilDill's sophomore year was utterly forgettable. He contributed to the single worst defense this program has witnessed in 40 years that year. I do not recall a single former player publicly calling for his benching that year, or any other of his sad career. Martinez is at least trying, but making bad decisions while doing it. Dillard was a case of absolute lack of effort. He's embarrassing himself with these tweets. Sad.

Knapplc, I have always taken you as a solid Husker fan thick and thin. Not favoring one, but always in favor for the best of the team. You literally just threw one player under the bus to show your particular favor of a specific player. That specific player being Taylor Martinez. If you have a hard on for a specific player, then just say it. Don't hide behind your supposed logic and rationality. Pointing out what is wrong with everyone else's logic? Hell, Phillip Dillard was one of the highest rated backer's in the country and chose to devote his college career to the Big Red. That makes him " N" in my book....and once "N" always "N"...... He voices his opinion on the situation just as the rest of us do. Everybody has an opinion. Just like everyone has had an opinion about this Taylor Martinez situation. Yet you almost refuse to see other views on the T-Mart situation? Why stand up so strongly for "ONE OF OUR OWN"..... yet you throw another "ONE OF OUR OWN " right in the toilet? Not trying to attack you personally, just find it interesting your comments on Dillard. As you use that quote from the great Abraham Lincoln as a sign of ignorance on Dillard's part....could we not say that Taylor's mouth could have been kept shut this week in the press conference in which he in some ways made himself look like an immature fool? It's a bit hypocritical wouldn't you say?

• Fire 4