Fans thoughts on Joe Paterno coaching on Saturday...

TheMatador

Yeah, he was like 28 at the time....This is the victim' mother's thoughts http://msn.foxsports...Sandusky-110811.

I'm responding directly to your statements about McQueary needing to blow up the shower. I'm just saying that even YOU probably wouldn't just jump in there and take on someone of Sandusky's build & rep. It's not like this was some anonymous 5'6" dude. McQueary must have been thinking a million things least of which was that he was employed by the U and probably didn't want to make huge waves. He probably figured that people higher up in the chain would take care of it appropriately.

Again... where he's wrong is that he let it slide for 9 years. His initial reaction I can totally agree with - after all the crime had already been committed.

It's revealing that a University, not unlike the Catholic Church, views the transgression entirely through the lens of public relations.

As if you can control what happens next.

Child abuse is a crime. You don't get to decide how you'd prefer to handle it. The courts will do that.

I think we're on the tail end of a generation that simply doesn't know how to talk about things like this, and genuinely thinks it's best to sweep disturbing issues under the rug and attempt to delete the images from their memories. Cause if you stop to think about it, it's just horribly evil.

Joe Paterno gave an absolutely perfect statement about his sympathies to the victims and families, his willingness to assume responsibilty and his intent to finish his commiment to the fine young men of Penn State this season. He even acknowledged the convenience of hindsight. But it was the statement of a man who still believes he is calling the shots and directing his own endgame. But that's not his call, either. I can see Spanier and Paterno getting yanked in the next 48 hours.

Safe to say all of college football as well as non-fans will be watching the Nebraska - Penn State circus this Saturday.

In a way, it's almost impossible for Nebraska to win. There will always be an asterisk to this game. In another way, it would be a beautiful time for the Huskers to play a perfect game.

Side note: has anyone found it peculiar that these very old charges came out the week after Joe Paterno secured the record for most career wins?

• Fire 1

Yeah, he was like 28 at the time....This is the victim' mother's thoughts http://msn.foxsports...Sandusky-110811.

I'm responding directly to your statements about McQueary needing to blow up the shower. I'm just saying that even YOU probably wouldn't just jump in there and take on someone of Sandusky's build & rep. It's not like this was some anonymous 5'6" dude. McQueary must have been thinking a million things least of which was that he was employed by the U and probably didn't want to make huge waves. He probably figured that people higher up in the chain would take care of it appropriately.

Again... where he's wrong is that he let it slide for 9 years. His initial reaction I can totally agree with - after all the crime had already been committed.

That's a good point... a lot of people like to think they'd have acted differently in the same situation, but how do they know how they'd have acted?

The problem is that, as haunted by the incident as he may have been, he apparently wasn't haunted enough to call the cops.

He knowingly let a child predator run a program for children using his facilities for 15 years.

No, he should not be coaching.

He needs to gtfo. It sure appears that Sandusky has been allowed to molest children for a long time.

McQueary needs to go too. That dude didn't bum rush Sandusky in the shower. Go sell cars McQueary, ypur career in

football is over too.

McQueary was 30 years younger than Sandusky and much stronger. Why didn't he stop it!!!

The indictment is available on line. It doesn't appear Paterno committed a crime, but unfortunately for him this is not really about whether or not he committed a crime. It's about not reporting reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed under his watch to the civil authorities. He had an ethical and moral responsiblity to at least go to campus security. There's no valid excuse for him not to go to the proper authorities, not even the fact that he reported it to his university superiors. There's no telling how many further incidents might have been avoided if he had reported it to the cops.

He reported it his AD and Gary Schultz, who is, was in charge of Campus Police, not Security but Campus Police.

In the grand jury report it says Schultz was director of finance. I've read several articles saying that Paterno did not go to police, and even that itself may be subject to criminal action. Of course, articles can be wrong too, and there's lots of stuff flying around.

As far as McQueary goes, and according to his testimony to the grand jury, he witnessed the rape of a ten year old boy in a Penn State locker room....WHAT WAS HIS REACTION ???? He didn't know what to do, so he told his daddy what happened and asked him for advice..... WHAT A LACK OF COURAGE, DECENCY, AND MANHOOD.....I think this question should be asked of the victims and their family members...I know what their answer would be.....

I don't have a problem with McQueary up to the point where he figured out nothing was going to happen with Sandusky. I would much preferred that he go in that shower and beat the hell out of Sandusky and save the kid, but I understand his reaction. It was human to be terrified of what he had witnessed. I see freaking out, reporting it, and hanging out for a while waiting to see what those in authority did.

However, that's where my understanding of his actions ends. From that point he HAS TO do something when he sees Sandusky on campus. HAS TO. That's where he failed, IMO.

Sorry we will have to agree to disagree on this, it was a cowardly act to leave that boy with a rapist and not try to help him.

I didn't say it wasn't a cowardly act. I said I could understand how he freaked out and reacted the way he did. That is NOT condoning his behavior.

i don't think any of us could imagine witnessing that. it is unfathomable. at least he did something. i feel bad he was put in that position and had to witness such an atrocity.

• Fire 1

As far as McQueary goes, and according to his testimony to the grand jury, he witnessed the rape of a ten year old boy in a Penn State locker room....WHAT WAS HIS REACTION ???? He didn't know what to do, so he told his daddy what happened and asked him for advice..... WHAT A LACK OF COURAGE, DECENCY, AND MANHOOD.....I think this question should be asked of the victims and their family members...I know what their answer would be.....

I don't have a problem with McQueary up to the point where he figured out nothing was going to happen with Sandusky. I would much preferred that he go in that shower and beat the hell out of Sandusky and save the kid, but I understand his reaction. It was human to be terrified of what he had witnessed. I see freaking out, reporting it, and hanging out for a while waiting to see what those in authority did.

However, that's where my understanding of his actions ends. From that point he HAS TO do something when he sees Sandusky on campus. HAS TO. That's where he failed, IMO.

Sorry we will have to agree to disagree on this, it was a cowardly act to leave that boy with a rapist and not try to help him.

I didn't say it wasn't a cowardly act. I said I could understand how he freaked out and reacted the way he did. That is NOT condoning his behavior.

i don't think any of us could imagine witnessing that. it is unfathomable. at least he did something. i feel bad he was put in that position and had to witness such an atrocity.

I'm sorry, but I would like to think that most of us would intervene if they saw a young child brutally assaulted by an adult, either by a physical intervention, or by dialing 911. I don't feel any compassion or understanding of McQueary in that situation.

Why is all the blame going on Joe? Does anybody think that the grad assistant that actually saw these acts could have done something more? Why aren't people calling for his head just as they are to Joe? What about the people Joe told? Nobody did anything there and would be just as 'morally' wrong as Joe.

Joe just did what everybody else did, which I think is what most people would have done if they were in his shoes...

It's a sick situation but there are a lot more people than just Joe Paterno to point fingers at.

It isn't all going to Joe, but he's getting all of the attention because he's God at Penn State. If he had gone to the authorities and told them about it, they would be a lot more likely to investigate thoroughly.