Glad we hired a "defensive minded coach"

Sparker

The guy we should have hired, and who is a NEBRASKA guy is on the sideline at the Rose Bowl today.

I think we all know who that is. The whole credentials thing can't be played either because Beck had no credentials either.

Seriously?!?

Didn't take long for the Scott Frost crowd to show up.

Honestly what more experience did he have more than Beck again???? Oh yeah maybe he could have helped restrain Zo like he did Blount once upon a time ago.

You sir, are not the brightest star in the sky. Go on now, go keep drinking red kool aid and your delusional sandwich. Some people just don't get it I guess.

And all I asked were what Frost brought to the table other than playing for the team???

You seem to discredit Beck real quick, when Frost has done the about the same before the hiring.

Some people also don't get it, the late 90's are not going to return due to having "Nebraska guys" on the staff.

But please humor me with more of what ever it is you drink

It would be okay if we didn't perform well though, because he's a NEBRASKA guy. Scott Frost also is at Oregon who last time I checked, has much better talent than Nebraska.

Do they? Does Oregon truly have better talent overall? I know recruiting stars are typically a joke in the long run, but they do judge raw "talent" decently well, and stars for stars, is Oregon's "talent" that much better than NU's? I honestly don't believe that's the case. Oregon runs a wail of an offensive system that takes good football players and makes them look great. Oregon is good because of coaching and development (offensively anyway), not because they are so much more talented than the other teams they play.

If Oregon and NU switched recruiting classes every year, I think Nebraska would still be 9-4 this year (10-3 at best). James, Barner, Thomas, Thomas, UO Oline are good because they fit Kelly's system to a T. Make them play in NU's scheme and they are not much better than what NU has now, IMHO.

Do they? Does Oregon truly have better talent overall? I know recruiting stars are typically a joke in the long run, but they do judge raw "talent" decently well, and stars for stars, is Oregon's "talent" that much better than NU's? I honestly don't believe that's the case. Oregon runs a wail of an offensive system that takes good football players and makes them look great. Oregon is good because of coaching and development (offensively anyway), not because they are so much more talented than the other teams they play.

If Oregon and NU switched recruiting classes every year, I think Nebraska would still be 9-4 this year (10-3 at best). James, Barner, Thomas, Thomas, UO Oline are good because they fit Kelly's system to a T. Make them play in NU's scheme and they are not much better than what NU has now, IMHO.

So how about we keep the same offense for more than a year instead of changing so we can recruit guys that fit the system.

• Fire 2

So how about we keep the same offense for more than a year instead of changing so we can recruit guys that fit the system.

:yeah

Three offenses in three years is tough. We were still adding large chuncks of playbook about 2/3 of the way through the season. Having a year under our belt and a full off-season to tune it up should help.

This whole staff based on nepotism is glaring.

You've got a point about discipline (or lack thereof, but let's be real - most coaches hire guys they know. Hiring position coaches and coordinators who are total strangers is very rare. The nepotism angle is a miss.

Didn't SC hire their DC from within. Nawww just a NU thing.

Were people expecting an outside hire for DC? When Stoops publicly said that he would take the job if offered (which implied no offer was given) it was pretty apparent that the DC position at NU is basically Bo's apprentice. Of course he is going to promote from within and give the position to someone he knows won't go monkeying with his scheme. Bo runs the defense and a high-profile DC would either take that away or Bo would drive off that DC because of his own "defensive mindedness." Don't you think? If anything, this hire/promotion shows that this IS Bo's defense.

Now we might be on to something. A little continuity never hurt.

You've got a point about discipline (or lack thereof, but let's be real - most coaches hire guys they know. Hiring position coaches and coordinators who are total strangers is very rare. The nepotism angle is a miss.

so you're saying Bo just doesn't know the right people? Monster.com maybe? Wanted: OC/DC with extensive experience. Pay range 350,000-600,000 DOE. Must submit to the will of HC, stoke his ego, and bend your coaching phylosophy to the "Nebraska way". I don't remember Chizik having a tight bond with Malzahn before he hired him and won a MNC.

IMO the coordinator position in today's game is more vital than the HC. Paying 3.5 million to 1 guy ranked about 25ish at his job, when you could be paying 1 million each to the 2 best coordinators in the game is BS to me. That still leaves about 2 million to stoke the ego of the HC. If he wants to leave fine, you've still go the two best coordinators in the game. If they want to leave, fine...for a million bucks a year you'll have first dibs on the best ones out there. Good luck trying to stop a Malzahn coordinated offense. If you do manage, it wont' matter because Greg Mattison's defense will dominate you.

Who cares about the HC anymore. It's the coordinators that are winning games.

Not saying he's the right guy, but at least he knows how to win and compete for Titles. He's been there and understands what it takes. Either way, our Defensive line won't allow us to compete for Titles no matter who we've got at OC

Beck was the offensive coordinator for Kansas in 2007. You know that Kansas team who won the Orange Bowl. And he doesn't compete for titles?

so you're saying Bo just doesn't know the right people? Monster.com maybe? Wanted: OC/DC with extensive experience. Pay range 350,000-600,000 DOE. Must submit to the will of HC, stoke his ego, and bend your coaching phylosophy to the "Nebraska way". I don't remember Chizik having a tight bond with Malzahn before he hired him and won a MNC.

IMO the coordinator position in today's game is more vital than the HC. Paying 3.5 million to 1 guy ranked about 25ish at his job, when you could be paying 1 million each to the 2 best coordinators in the game is BS to me. That still leaves about 2 million to stoke the ego of the HC. If he wants to leave fine, you've still go the two best coordinators in the game. If they want to leave, fine...for a million bucks a year you'll have first dibs on the best ones out there. Good luck trying to stop a Malzahn coordinated offense. If you do manage, it wont' matter because Greg Mattison's defense will dominate you.

That's not a bad idea, but why would you be able to convince million-dollar coordinators to come play for a $2.5 million coach? And Chizik didn't win a MNC because of Gus Malzahn, he won it because of Cam Newton. I could have been the OC on that team and at least played for the SEC Championship.

Not saying he's the right guy, but at least he knows how to win and compete for Titles. He's been there and understands what it takes. Either way, our Defensive line won't allow us to compete for Titles no matter who we've got at OC

Beck was the offensive coordinator for Kansas in 2007. You know that Kansas team who won the Orange Bowl. And he doesn't compete for titles?

Kansas hasn't won a Big 12 title or been in the game at all when the Big 12 had one. Even the sun shines on a dog's ass once in a while. One good year was all they had. next year they went 8-5.

no he wasn't

That's not a bad idea, but why would you be able to convince million-dollar coordinators to come play for a $2.5 million coach? And Chizik didn't win a MNC because of Gus Malzahn, he won it because of Cam Newton. I could have been the OC on that team and at least played for the SEC Championship.

In my world the HC is actually paid a lot less. But...you'd get coordinators to come in because 1) they'll be the highest paid coordinator in the game, and 2) they'll have control of their staff, and their side of the ball.

That's better than being an HC. You get paid a million bucks a year to be a football coach. Not a talking head for the university, or a booster's best friend. You're there to win games, and all the BS is left to the HC.

Well, #1) that was Mangino's offense through and through, regardless of who the offensive coordinator was, just like we are rolling with Bo's defense next year and not John Papuchis. And #2), he wasn't even the offensive coordinator.