Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Griselda on Netflix. Premise of the show is it's based on Griselda Blanco who was a ruthless cocaine trafficker in Miami back in the 1980s. In the show she's played by Sofia Vergara which is hysterical because Griselda was...not attractive. If you don't know anything about her it's pretty good. I had already seen a couple documentaries so I was pretty familiar but still wanted to give it a watch. It's only 6 episodes so not too bad. There is some graphic violence (headless corpses, etc) and a little big of nudity so buyer beware there.

• Plus1 1
On 2/19/2024 at 12:06 PM, teachercd said:
  Hide contents

And the "after life" scene, where they all meet their "big brother"

Finally got around to watching Iron Claw, mainly cause the of the hype on here. I was underwhelmed. This would have been better served as a 5-6 episode mini-series. Felt rushed and disjointed, completely removed one brother from the story, didn't build the family dynamic very well, or show the true collapse of the parents, merged storylines into one person (because they eliminated a brother) and didn't give enough time to build an emotional connection to the family members they did use. Had the potential, but not the time needed. This would have been an unforgettable mini-series, instead it's a D, at best, movie.  I grew up watching WWF, WCCW, NWA, AWA etc in the early 80s through 90s, I stopped watching around the end of the attitude era. So this should have been in my wheelhouse of movies I love, instead it's one I'll never watch again and regret watching once.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Madcows said:

Finally got around to watching Iron Claw, mainly cause the of the hype on here. I was underwhelmed. This would have been better served as a 5-6 episode mini-series. Felt rushed and disjointed, completely removed one brother from the story, didn't build the family dynamic very well, or show the true collapse of the parents, merged storylines into one person (because they eliminated a brother) and didn't give enough time to build an emotional connection to the family members they did use. Had the potential, but not the time needed. This would have been an unforgettable mini-series, instead it's a D, at best, movie.  I grew up watching WWF, WCCW, NWA, AWA etc in the early 80s through 90s, I stopped watching around the end of the attitude era. So this should have been in my wheelhouse of movies I love, instead it's one I'll never watch again and regret watching once.

See, when I got into wrestling the Von Erichs were at the very very end of their run so I never really knew/watched them.  I only even remember their name from one event.  By the time I got started it was all Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior...I was hooked for a few years.

So for me none of the background was missing because I had no idea about them at all.  If I had been a fan of them or known about them, I imagine I would have been underwhelmed too.  That makes sense.

I thought the acting was well done.

• Plus1 3
  • 2 weeks later...

18 hours ago, GSG said:

Started watching The Octopus Murders on Netflix. Pretty interesting. Lots of shady government s#!t

Why are octopi killing people?  And what people are in deep enough ocean that an octopus could get them and assume drown them? I don't like the premise of this movie at all.  I'm about to go give it a 1* review saying how unrealistic this is/S

This probably has been brought up but anyone watch Warrior?  I thought the three seasons have been entertaining.  Definitely a typical guy series with lots of fighting, drinking and sex scenes.  

The story line is enough to keep me interested.  Plus I tend to like period pieces from that era.  

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

This probably has been brought up but anyone watch Warrior?  I thought the three seasons have been entertaining.  Definitely a typical guy series with lots of fighting, drinking and sex scenes.  

The story line is enough to keep me interested.  Plus I tend to like period pieces from that era.  

I have not!  

But I want new shows

• Oh Yeah! 1

A little late to the couch potato party. 

Not a TV guy or big into streaming but I do have YT TV and stuff.....

Saw the first 2 episodes of Yellowstone and it sucked a$$. 

I had big hopes.  I was hoping for something awesome.  But it sucked.  Not my thing to keep plowing through it.

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, admo said:

A little late to the couch potato party. 

Not a TV guy or big into streaming but I do have YT TV and stuff.....

Saw the first 2 episodes of Yellowstone and it sucked a$$. 

I had big hopes.  I was hoping for something awesome.  But it sucked.  Not my thing to keep plowing through it.

I gave Yellowstone a season and a half, but couldn't push any further. I need shows/movies/games where there's at least 1 person I can root for, and everyone in Yellowstone is absolutely awful; not even one Walter White-type character where you know they're the bad guy, but you can cheer for them. Alongside that, the writing is horrible, the acting is wooden by 90% of the cast, and by the point I got to, I wanted the super volcano under Yellowstone to erupt and end everyone. 

• Fire 2