Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

The long take in the "Charlie Work" episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (S10 E4) is fantastic. It wasn't all one continuous shot, but only one of the cuts seemed kinda obvious. Still, about a third of the episode was filmed in one shot. One of the more entertaining pieces of television I've seen in recent years.

• Fire 1

Sons of Anarchy

Finished season 1. Good series so far but not great IMO. I didn't recognize "Gemma" character was the same character as "Peggy Bundy" until E5 or so.

I had no idea "Peg" sang until Sons of Anarchy. Damn good voice. She is 62 years old !!! (same age as me). At least 3 Katey's songs on SOA soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZtAOPC8Obw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ttep_h5h8

Sons of Anarchy

All done; entire episodes :o . Pretty damn good however S5 thru S7 was so-so, even kinda awful. Except final episode .... "Papa's Goods", touching IMO.

Anyway, SOA soundtrack was excellent with the exception of opening credit song (every episodes - ugh!).

My tic-tac pet peeve critic .... Charming, only 14,000 population yet whole bunch of violent killings within 3 years in Charming town or outskirts. I know, only make believe movie.

Repetitive phrase (overused and annoying IMO): "I Promise" ..... "I'll Handle It" ....... "I'm Sorry". Repetitive means 1000 times !!!

Currently rotating between Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad

Can't go wrong with Breaking Bad. I've been through it 3 times and thinking about having another go at it.

Currently been binging on House of Cards on Netflix since Christmas time. It's really good. Didn't think I would like it but got hooked. It's one of those shows where you end up hating almost all of the characters and keep watching in the hopes they will have to pay for all the bad sh#t they do.

I have to modify my recommendation for House of Cards. The first 2 seasons were really good but the 3rd season sucks big time. Not sure I'll even be able to finish. Don't know if they had changes in the writing/direction or if it's just a result of the storyline running out of anywhere to go. Can't imagine it could continue any further.

Currently rotating between Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad

Can't go wrong with Breaking Bad. I've been through it 3 times and thinking about having another go at it.

Currently been binging on House of Cards on Netflix since Christmas time. It's really good. Didn't think I would like it but got hooked. It's one of those shows where you end up hating almost all of the characters and keep watching in the hopes they will have to pay for all the bad sh#t they do.

I have to modify my recommendation for House of Cards. The first 2 seasons were really good but the 3rd season sucks big time ........

I have to modify my recommendation for House of Cards. All seasons sucks big time. Huge disappointment. I gave up watching in the middle of 2nd season

Minority voice here ......

I didn't like House of Cards, either. Gave up watching about 3/4 of the way through the first season. Huge fan of Kevin Spacey, and of course Robin Wright, but it just never caught my attention. Too much of it seemed forced.

I've watched a few episodes of Jessica Jones, too. The sex scenes are unnecessarily over the top. I don't understand the point of that. It takes me out of the show and seems added in just to make it edgy. It's OK otherwise. I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Making my 4th pass through It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I think it gets funnier every time.

I've concluded season 3 is the best season. Starts to get a little hit-and-miss towards the end of season 4, but there's still plenty of great episodes in every one of the later seasons.

I don't think it was ever the same after season 5. very hit and miss for me since season 6.

loved season 1 even though frank isn't in it. more grounded, relatable versions of the characters.

i think season 3 is the best season too. loved every episode, although, i'd say the gang solves the gas crisis from season 4 is my all-time favorite.

Making a murderer. Jump on the hype train. It's unreal.

True story - documentary series. But clearly biased against Manitowoc cops and detectives (Wisconsin).

IMO, Steven Avery was a bipolar mind and split personalities during 18 years prison time (falsely accused). One aspect, he appeared kindness and happy go lucky guy. He was exonerated and released from prison. The other aspect, insane, growing revenge, SA vs. the world. In other words, time bomb ....... eventually explode. I'm pretty sure Avery found guilty in Teresa Halbach case. Planted and tampered evidences? I say far fetched theory.

The only question, why Teresa Halback victim? I thought only Manitowoc cops and/or Penny Beernsten revenge targets.

And 16 years old Brendan Dassey story (supposedly co-perpetrator partners, Steven Avery nephew). Guilty or not ??... I have no idea. I'm surprised life sentence ... 16 years old

avery-and-dassey.jpg

Steven Avery and Brendan Dessey

lg.jpg

Teresa Halbach (rape and murder victim)

I think you nailed it. It sounds like Steven Avery didn't commit the first crime, the rape in 1985. But then, perplexingly, it seems like he's guilty of the murder of Teresa Halbach. If Steve Avery and his family had been a bit more savvy it seems like they could have found one law firm to litigate both his $36 million wrongful conviction lawsuit and also the murder case. Sure, there's no way he would come close to collecting $36 million. But that suit had to be worth $5 million or so, give or take. It was a shame he settled for a pittance of $400k for 18 years of wrongful imprisonment.

Just finished binge watching Making a Murderer. Thought it was great, but now can't remember the after-the -fact series issues with the Netflix executives about the total content and/or lack of total transparency. i.e.....their biased presentation of what facts were/were not included in the series.

It did't reasonate with me when it was in the news cycle, but now that I've seen it...........can anyone give me a short cliffs notes version of what the controversy was all about?