For any fitness fanatics on this message board

No. It's not. I've done it and I do it. Maybe if you're close to your maximum potential this is the case. But you made a blanket statement which is false.

Very true! For an example take insanity. Those people didn't have that muscle mass when they started. They also had a much lower BF% at the end.

Let me restate it then. It's impossible for someone who has been lifting for a while and is trying to cut the last few % of their BF not to lose muscle while cutting.

For example, professional body builders as they are building in the offseason eat lots of healthy fats and load up on as much carbs, healthy fats, and protein as they can. When they cut fat to prepare for competition, it's a given that they will lose a sizable amount of muscle.

Obviously a person like the people on the Biggest Loser who haven't done a physical activity in their lives, yes they will gain some muscle. Anyone who hasn't been on a physical training program will gain muscle after starting to work out. So you're right, my blanket statement was not correct. I was speaking more along the lines of people who have been lifting for a while.

http://www.bodybuild.../fun/kelly3.htm

I like his philosophy and I kind of already follow his suggestions. I lift M/W/F and do a spin class on T/R which usually has a lot of HIT portions. When trying to cut fat I usually add about 45 mins of cardio on lifting days. I don't like the idea of always doing 45 mins of slow cardio on lifting days though since total gym time would be almost 2 hours. I like to keep it just a little over an hour. I lift for strictly strength and not for bodybuilding.

This is what's up. I can only park at the gym for 1 and one half hours at a time so I need to be efficient. For people looking to cut, your body is going to respond a lot better to HIIT-based "cardio" versus long jogs/runs/bike at a constant to semi-constant pace. Much better use of time, much better for your purposes.

Plus, HIIT-based training translate very well into traditional cardio-based activities. From doing HIIT sprints and bouts of kettlebell swings, I am able to play sports and not be winded and perform well in endurance races. However, traditional cardio will NOT translate nearly as well into HIIT-based training (ask someone who runs 5 miles a day to run 10 intermittant sprints. I guarantee they won't do as well as someone who never runs more than a mile, but sprints 3 days a week).

"You HAVE to use supplements to make real gains".

FWIW, I never said that.

If you really want to make strides in the gym, a pre workout supplement is almost necessity IMO

Ok, but it was almost as equally ridiculous of a statement that I would expect to hear from a salesman at GNC.

Hmmm, that didn't say anything about gaining muscle, but whatever.

And if you want to get technical about it, yes, it does take some type of supplementation to make true sh#t-your-pants muscle gains in the gym. You can agree with me or not, I don't care. If you can gain craploads of muscle without supplements, you have some freakish genetics.

Been working on my form.

t5xNPBw.jpg

Impressive :lol:

I see a lot of people doing that exercise. I'm not sure what it's for but it's become epidemic. They look almost as ridiculous as the gif. I wish they would just go away so they don't interrupt the few exercises I use the pulleys for.

Been working on my form.

t5xNPBw.jpg

Impressive :lol:

I see a lot of people doing that exercise. I'm not sure what it's for but it's become epidemic. They look almost as ridiculous as the gif. I wish they would just go away so they don't interrupt the few exercises I use the pulleys for.

Well from the looks of it it appears to be a way to throw out your back with terrible form and also do about half a tricep extension...obviously using far too much weight...pretty sure this would set off the "lunk alarm" at planet fitness haha

I seriously can't stand people that get zero help, decide they want to go workout, use too much weight, and have no idea what they are doing. If you don't know what you're doing get a few personal trainer sessions and figure out that form is way more important than weight. I just shake my head and laugh.............

• Fire 1

I seriously can't stand people that get zero help, decide they want to go workout, use too much weight, and have no idea what they are doing. If you don't know what you're doing get a few personal trainer sessions and figure out that form is way more important than weight. I just shake my head and laugh.............

Well, since I don't lift weights, I'll throw mine out there that drives me crazy.

I seriously can't stand the person who gets on the treadmill walking pretty much as slow as possible and reads a magazine while "working out" and then takes up the time on the machine for friggen ever. Hey...you aren't getting any workout and you're preventing anyone else from using the machine.

Well, since I don't lift weights, I'll throw mine out there that drives me crazy.

I seriously can't stand the person who gets on the treadmill walking pretty much as slow as possible and reads a magazine while "working out" and then takes up the time on the machine for friggen ever. Hey...you aren't getting any workout and you're preventing anyone else from using the machine.

It would still be a workout....maybe they have a bad knee or hip...maybe they are easing into working out...at the very least they are taking the initiative to be active. Walking and reading a magazine burns more calories than sitting on the couch and reading it

That's probably us weight lifters getting our long duration cardio work in. We're trying to burn fat :Dhttp://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

No. It's not. I've done it and I do it. Maybe if you're close to your maximum potential this is the case. But you made a blanket statement which is false.

Very true! For an example take insanity. Those people didn't have that muscle mass when they started. They also had a much lower BF% at the end.

Let me restate it then. It's impossible for someone who has been lifting for a while and is trying to cut the last few % of their BF not to lose muscle while cutting.

For example, professional body builders as they are building in the offseason eat lots of healthy fats and load up on as much carbs, healthy fats, and protein as they can. When they cut fat to prepare for competition, it's a given that they will lose a sizable amount of muscle.

Obviously a person like the people on the Biggest Loser who haven't done a physical activity in their lives, yes they will gain some muscle. Anyone who hasn't been on a physical training program will gain muscle after starting to work out. So you're right, my blanket statement was not correct. I was speaking more along the lines of people who have been lifting for a while.

Wrong...They do adjust their diet but not as much as you think. They cut the carbs by a lot but will only drop the fats by a little. They also maintain their protein intake and will not change it. They also continue to workout and do more intense cardio to up their fat burn.

• Fire 1