SIGNED QB Johnny Stanton

10-15 years ago this might have been a deal breaker. It's about a 6 month injury these days. He should be ready to go next year, but I fully expect him to redshirt. No reason not to.

Got to feel bad for the guy. Lousy way to end your high school career. Sucks man.

Spano would disagree with you. I'd say there is a 25-40% chance he never sees the field at Nebraska now. How many times do we see guys take multiple years to get back to their playing levels after similar knee injuries? A broken leg is a few month recovery and Fisher has never been the same. Blue hardly cracked the rotation. Many others battling multi-year rehabs for things like this, never to return to their playing speed and realize their potential.

Spano messed up the same knee multiple times and that is why he never got over it. Marcus Lattimore screwed up his knee last year and that doesn't seem to bother him to much. It just depends on how the player reacts to the injury.

Sometimes they can't see meniscus damage in the MRI, but then they find it during the operation. That's what happened to me. I'm exactly 6 months post-surgery today. I ran 15 miles in the mountains this morning, but I'm a whole lot slower than before, but I think I've still got a long way to go on recovery. OTOH, Adrian Peterson scored 2 TDs 8 months after his surgery. But I see a redshirt for JS next year. Good luck to him. This has not been a fun 6 months for me.

• Fire 1

10-15 years ago this might have been a deal breaker. It's about a 6 month injury these days. He should be ready to go next year, but I fully expect him to redshirt. No reason not to.

Got to feel bad for the guy. Lousy way to end your high school career. Sucks man.

Spano would disagree with you. I'd say there is a 25-40% chance he never sees the field at Nebraska now. How many times do we see guys take multiple years to get back to their playing levels after similar knee injuries? A broken leg is a few month recovery and Fisher has never been the same. Blue hardly cracked the rotation. Many others battling multi-year rehabs for things like this, never to return to their playing speed and realize their potential.

I agree that it depends upon anatomy. It varies. Jason Lohr was a DT that would of been a holy terrror if not for his knees. The way his knees were built he was prone to knee injuries. Very unfortunate.

It's unfortunate this happened in the thick of his Senior season. All the best to the kid during rehab.

If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Stanton made it clear he would be redshirting next season when he first committed. One of the recruiting sites asked him if he had any plans to enroll early at NU but he said he saw no reason to do so since he felt T-Mart will solidify his starting spot as a Senior next year. He seemed cool with the idea though because it'd give him a chance to adjust to college life and learn the playbook.

Fisher was never good to begin with.

I was speaking in generalities when I said it's a 6 month injury these days. Anything can happen, but this type of injury isn't nearly as scary as it was a decade ago.

True! However, those types of critical knee injuries can often plague a person for a lifetime. Being an athlete, being young, having the proper medical personnel do the surgery and being involved with expert rehab are crutial to a full recovery (if there really is a full recovery). I hope his family finds the right combination for all that to come together.

Spano was actually rushed back to the field in about 5 months or so, if I remember.

And he promptly tore his ACL again.

How much of a setback is this for the kid zoogs? (Maybe a stupid question, I'm sure you haven't seen the x-rays or spoken with his doc.) Guess I have a lingering hangover from that LB we were high on out of Texas a few years back (Williams, maybe?) who had that fluke knee deal, something about falling on a curb maybe, and he never really panned out.

Does his youth help speed the rehab process? I know very little about injury impact/recovery time, and frankly, Stanton could probably take it easy all next season to get back to 100%. But I'd love for him and Armstrong to start battling right out of the gate, and if Stanton isn't at full speed that'll take spring battles off the board at least. I think those two both give cause for optimism, and if they're pushing each other it should only help them develop their games more rapidly.

I know very little about this stuff as well, so I wouldn't be the one to answer! Williams out of Texas didn't have a fluke knee deal, it must be somebody else you're thinking of. The good news though is that Stanton will have plenty of time to work through his recovery before he even assumes 'redshirt freshman' status at Nebraska. I guess knee injuries can cover a wide range of seriousness. PaulC may know more here and he certainly wasn't stoked when he heard that the MCL was also torn.

In the upcoming spring, though, we'll have Taylor and Tommy.

I know very little about this stuff as well, so I wouldn't be the one to answer! Williams out of Texas didn't have a fluke knee deal, it must be somebody else you're thinking of. The good news though is that Stanton will have plenty of time to work through his recovery before he even assumes 'redshirt freshman' status at Nebraska. I guess knee injuries can cover a wide range of seriousness. PaulC may know more here and he certainly wasn't stoked when he heard that the MCL was also torn.

In the upcoming spring, though, we'll have Taylor and Tommy.

Chris Williams did blow his knee up as a SR in HS. He tripped on the yardage chain and landed on some form of curb or something IIRC.

Granted, his love for "natural medicine" and laziness are what actually did him in as he was recovering, one has to wonder if it would have all gone south for him had he not been hurt.